5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 11:58 PM by thefatalmallet

Problems when uploading my website

thefatalmallet
      I have an account with GoDaddy and they couldn't figure out what the problem was, so they suggested I post my problem on a forum.

I just redid my entire website, and everything looks great in Dreamweaver when I test it, but when I uploaded all of my files, the page turned out completely white. When I do a View Page Source in Firefox, a scripting error comes up saying that my background is completely white. However, in Dreamweaver, my background image shows up fine in my scripting and when I test F12. My links are working all right, but all of my images just come up as text of the file name. My website is www.semillustrations.com if anyone wants to look at it and see the problem. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and GoDaddy says there's nothing wrong on their end. Anyone?
        • 1. Re: Problems when uploading my website
          Level 7
          On 07 ene 2009, speculumcm wrote in macromedia.dreamweaver:

Apparently you left a white space in the name of your background image:

body {
          background-image:url(images/HOMEPAGE%20background.jpg);
          }

Change for something like:

body {
          background-image:url(images/HOMEPAGE_background.jpg);
          }

And see what happened.
          BTW try to validate your site in:
          http://validator.w3.org/

> I have an account with GoDaddy and they couldn't figure out what the
          > problem was, so they suggested I post my problem on a forum.
          >
          > I just redid my entire website, and everything looks great in
          > Dreamweaver when
          > I test it, but when I uploaded all of my files, the page turned out
          > completely white. When I do a View Page Source in Firefox, a scripting
          > error comes up saying that my background is completely white. However,
          > in Dreamweaver, my background image shows up fine in my scripting and
          > when I test F12. My links are working all right, but all of my images
          > just come up as text of the file name. My website is
          > www.semillustrations.com if anyone wants to look at it and see the
          > problem. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and GoDaddy says there's
          > nothing wrong on their end. Anyone?
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Problems when uploading my website
            thefatalmallet Level 1
            I tried taking the space out of the background image and it didn't do anything. When I went to the validator website, it said I had 2 errors:

# Line 68, Column 26: there is no attribute "height".

<table width="894" height="148" border="0" align="center">

You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not support that attribute for this element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).

This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in the document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error message for further information.

How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute, (Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are both allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this attribute. If you received this error when using the <embed> element to incorporate flash media in a Web page, see the FAQ item on valid flash.

# Error Line 95, Column 147: required attribute "alt" not specified.

…ht="371" hspace="170" align="right" /></div></th>

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt" attribute is required for the "img" element.

Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and type="text/javascript" for <script>.

Unfortunately I don't know how to fix either of these things, since I am relatively new at Dreamweaver. Could either of these things be causing the problem I'm having?
            • 3. Re: Problems when uploading my website
              thefatalmallet Level 1
              Great. Now I tried to change the XHTML to strict and the image in the background doesn't show up at ALL in Dreamweaver like it did before. It shows up in my design page, but when I do a test it doesn't come up at all, it's just a white blank spot where the image should be. My jpeg underneath it comes up, but my background image is gone. I would really appreciate some help!
              • 4. Re: Problems when uploading my website
                Level 7
                On 07 ene 2009, speculumcm wrote in macromedia.dreamweaver:

First of all you haven't uploaded your image yo your remote server:
                http://www.semillustrations.com/images/HOMEPAGEbackground.jpg

> Great. Now I tried to change the XHTML to strict and the image in the
                > background doesn't show up at ALL in Dreamweaver like it did before.
                > It shows up in my design page, but when I do a test it doesn't come up
                > at all, it's just a white blank spot where the image should be. My
                > jpeg underneath it comes up, but my background image is gone. I would
                > really appreciate some help!
                >

• 5. Re: Problems when uploading my website
                  thefatalmallet Level 1
                  Never mind all. It WAS a problem with GoDaddy's FTP Client after all ... I just had to finagle a bit to get some answers. Thanks for the help though!

Oh, and the reason that image wasn't uploaded was because I had deleted all of my files and then re-uploaded them later. Thanks!