1 2 Previous Next 53 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2006 4:57 PM by Newsgroup_User

Swap MovieClips

GellyBean
      Scenario: I have 3 pictures (MC) that I would like to have played one on top of the other.
      My problem is that when the last MC is played, the first one appears abruptly, rather than appearing on top of the last MC played.

Which is the script to have the first MC play one on top of the last, constantly?
        • 1. Re: Swap MovieClips
          Level 7
          GellyBean,

> Scenario: I have 3 pictures (MC) that I would like to have
          > played one on top of the other.

Okay.

> My problem is that when the last MC is played, the first one
          > appears abruptly, rather than appearing on top of the last
          > MC played.

I'm not sure what you mean by "abruptly" in this context, I guess. Are
          you talking about an issue with which image is on top? Abruptly could be
          interpreted as "suddenly," which doesn't intrinsically have anything to do
          with layering -- see what I mean? Just trying to understand. :)

> Which is the script to have the first MC play one on top of
          > the last, constantly?

Well, there's a method of the MovieClip class called
          MovieClip.swapDepths(). That seems to match the subject line of your post.
          Is that what you're after?

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Swap MovieClips
            GellyBean Level 1
            Mr Stiller,

quote:

Well, there's a method of the MovieClip class called
            MovieClip.swapDepths(). That seems to match the subject line of your post.
            Is that what you're after?

I think that's exactly what I want. I would like to put those 3+ pictures (wiht effect) in one MC and swap each one on top of the other.
            • 3. Re: Swap MovieClips
              Level 7
              GellyBean,

>> MovieClip.swapDepths(). That seems to match the
              >> subject line of your post. Is that what you're after?

> I think that's exactly what I want. I would like to put those
              > 3+ pictures (wiht effect) in one MC and swap each one on
              > top of the other.

That may be it, then. :) Note in the documentation that
              MovieClip.swapDepths() can be used two ways: one allows you to swap the
              depth of one movie clip with another; the other allows you to set the depth
              of a movie clip using a number.

So you could either keep swapping clips, as desired, or use something
              like MovieClip.getNextHighestDepth(), which returns a number.

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert

• 4. Re: Swap MovieClips
                GellyBean Level 1
                quote:

That may be it, then. :) Note in the documentation that
                MovieClip.swapDepths() can be used two ways: one allows you to swap the
                depth of one movie clip with another; the other allows you to set the depth
                of a movie clip using a number.

So... How can I do it ???

• 5. Re: Swap MovieClips
                  Level 7
                  GellyBean,

> So... How can I do it ???

Have you looked up the MovieClip.swapDepths() method in the ActionScript
                  2.0 Language Reference? ;)

David Stiller
                  Adobe Community Expert

• 6. Re: Swap MovieClips
                    GellyBean Level 1
                    Thank you David,
                    I see the function of swap depths and I think that is not what I am really looking for.
                    I also think that, because I have not explained myself well, as I really don't want to click the images in order to see them.
                    The images come up by themselves.

Inside my flash movie, I have a rotating banner with 3 pics inside (each picture appears with a mask effect). What I mean, is that each picture is a MC. I would like it, that each picture appears, one on top of the other, every X amount of time.
                    • 7. Re: Swap MovieClips
                      Level 7
                      GellyBean,

> I see the function of swap depths and I think that is not
                      > what I am really looking for.

Okay.

> I also think that, because I have not explained myself
                      > well, as I really don't want to click the images in order
                      > to see them.

That's fine. None of these functions require buttons. :)

> The images come up by themselves.

Okay.

> Inside my flash movie, I have a rotating banner with 3
                      > pics inside (each picture appears with a mask effect).

I think I can picture that -- of course, what I envision may be
                      different from what it actually is.

> What I mean, is that each picture is a MC. I would like
                      > it, that each picture appears, one on top of the other,
                      > every X amount of time.

In order for clipA to appear on top of clipB, clipA must be higher than
                      clipB. If it isn't already, the only way to arrange that via ActionScript
                      is with the MovieClip.swapDepths() method.

David Stiller
                      Adobe Community Expert

• 8. Re: Swap MovieClips
                        GellyBean Level 1
                        I made a MC with two layers (one 4 actions the other for pictures)
                        The code that I used is this, but it is not working*:

pic1_mc.play();
                        function () {
                        if (this.getDepth()<pic2_mc.getDepth()) {
                        this.swapDepths(pic2_mc);
                        }
                        }
                        pic2_mc.play();
                        function () {
                        if (this.getDepth()<pic1_mc.getDepth()) {
                        this.swapDepths(pic1_mc);
                        }
                        }

*(I'm sorry if I'm annoying you but I'm new in this stuff)
                        • 9. Re: Swap MovieClips
                          Level 7
                          GellyBean,

> I made a MC with two layers (one 4 actions the
                          > other for pictures) The code that I used is this,
                          > but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                          > function () {
                          > if (this.getDepth()<pic2_mc.getDepth()) {
                          > this.swapDepths(pic2_mc);
                          > }
                          > }

In the first line, you're telling a movie clip whose instance name is
                          pic1_mc to play. Where is this code? Is this in the timeline of pic1_mc?
                          If so, consider the "point of view" of this ActionScript. If you're already
                          inside pic1_mc, this code is going to look for an object named pic1_mc ...
                          are you going to find it? It's interesting to me that you used "this" in
                          the function, because "this" refers to the object or timeline it's in.
                          Depending on your circumstances, "this" might refers to pic1_mc; it might
                          not.

You can use the trace() function to kind of help you "see under the
                          hood." Before you do anything else, you'll have to actually *run* the
                          function. You're written one, but you aren't calling it anywhere.

function test() {
                          trace("Hi there");
                          }

On its own, that doesn't do anything. To call this function, type
                          test() ... make sense? You don't have to type it right away. In you might,
                          for example, call the test() function from inside a button, whenever the
                          user gets around to clicking ... or you might call the test() function in a
                          later frame of that timeline -- or any other timeline or object that can
                          path to the timeline in which the function was written.

e.g. if the function is written inside clipA, you can call it from the
                          main timeline -- assuming clipA is in the main timeline -- like this ...

clipA.test();

If this were my project, I'd probably put all the ActionScript in frames
                          of the main timeline, rather than inside the clips themselves. Just give
                          each clip an instance name and then call each by name from the main
                          timeline, telling it what to do -- based on the properties, methods, and
                          events described in that object's (in this case, the MovieClip) class.

David Stiller
                          Adobe Community Expert

• 10. Re: Swap MovieClips
                            Level 7
                            GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                            > function () {
                            > }
                            > }

not.

function test() {
                            trace("Hi there");
                            }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                            Adobe Community Expert

• 11. Re: Swap MovieClips
                              Level 7
                              GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                              > function () {
                              > }
                              > }

not.

function test() {
                              trace("Hi there");
                              }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                              Adobe Community Expert

• 12. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                Level 7
                                GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                > function () {
                                > }
                                > }

not.

function test() {
                                trace("Hi there");
                                }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                Adobe Community Expert

• 13. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                  Level 7
                                  GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                  > function () {
                                  > }
                                  > }

not.

function test() {
                                  trace("Hi there");
                                  }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                  Adobe Community Expert

• 14. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                    Level 7
                                    GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                    > function () {
                                    > }
                                    > }

not.

function test() {
                                    trace("Hi there");
                                    }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                    Adobe Community Expert

• 15. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                      Level 7
                                      GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                      > function () {
                                      > }
                                      > }

not.

function test() {
                                      trace("Hi there");
                                      }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                      Adobe Community Expert

• 16. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                        Level 7
                                        GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                        > function () {
                                        > }
                                        > }

not.

function test() {
                                        trace("Hi there");
                                        }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                        Adobe Community Expert

• 17. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                          Level 7
                                          GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                          > function () {
                                          > }
                                          > }

not.

function test() {
                                          trace("Hi there");
                                          }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                          Adobe Community Expert

• 18. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                            Level 7
                                            GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                            > function () {
                                            > }
                                            > }

not.

function test() {
                                            trace("Hi there");
                                            }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                            Adobe Community Expert

• 19. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                              Level 7
                                              GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                              > function () {
                                              > }
                                              > }

not.

function test() {
                                              trace("Hi there");
                                              }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                              Adobe Community Expert

• 20. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                Level 7
                                                GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                > function () {
                                                > }
                                                > }

not.

function test() {
                                                trace("Hi there");
                                                }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                Adobe Community Expert

• 21. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                  Level 7
                                                  GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                  > function () {
                                                  > }
                                                  > }

not.

function test() {
                                                  trace("Hi there");
                                                  }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                  Adobe Community Expert

• 22. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                    Level 7
                                                    GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                    > function () {
                                                    > }
                                                    > }

not.

function test() {
                                                    trace("Hi there");
                                                    }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                    Adobe Community Expert

• 23. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                      Level 7
                                                      GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                      > function () {
                                                      > }
                                                      > }

not.

function test() {
                                                      trace("Hi there");
                                                      }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                      Adobe Community Expert

• 24. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                        Level 7
                                                        GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                        > function () {
                                                        > }
                                                        > }

not.

function test() {
                                                        trace("Hi there");
                                                        }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                        Adobe Community Expert

• 25. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                          Level 7
                                                          GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                          > function () {
                                                          > }
                                                          > }

not.

function test() {
                                                          trace("Hi there");
                                                          }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                          Adobe Community Expert

• 26. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                            Level 7
                                                            GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                            > function () {
                                                            > }
                                                            > }

not.

function test() {
                                                            trace("Hi there");
                                                            }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                            Adobe Community Expert

• 27. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                              Level 7
                                                              GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                              > function () {
                                                              > }
                                                              > }

not.

function test() {
                                                              trace("Hi there");
                                                              }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                              Adobe Community Expert

• 28. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                Level 7
                                                                GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                > function () {
                                                                > }
                                                                > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                trace("Hi there");
                                                                }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                Adobe Community Expert

• 29. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                  Level 7
                                                                  GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                  > function () {
                                                                  > }
                                                                  > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                  trace("Hi there");
                                                                  }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                  Adobe Community Expert

• 30. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                    Level 7
                                                                    GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                    > function () {
                                                                    > }
                                                                    > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                    trace("Hi there");
                                                                    }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                    Adobe Community Expert

• 31. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                      Level 7
                                                                      GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                      > function () {
                                                                      > }
                                                                      > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                      trace("Hi there");
                                                                      }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                      Adobe Community Expert

• 32. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                        Level 7
                                                                        GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                        > function () {
                                                                        > }
                                                                        > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                        trace("Hi there");
                                                                        }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                        Adobe Community Expert

• 33. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                          Level 7
                                                                          GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                          > function () {
                                                                          > }
                                                                          > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                          trace("Hi there");
                                                                          }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                          Adobe Community Expert

• 34. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                            Level 7
                                                                            GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                            > function () {
                                                                            > }
                                                                            > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                            trace("Hi there");
                                                                            }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                            Adobe Community Expert

• 35. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                              Level 7
                                                                              GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                              > function () {
                                                                              > }
                                                                              > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                              trace("Hi there");
                                                                              }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                              Adobe Community Expert

• 36. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                                Level 7
                                                                                GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                                > function () {
                                                                                > }
                                                                                > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                                trace("Hi there");
                                                                                }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                                Adobe Community Expert

• 37. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                                  Level 7
                                                                                  GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                                  > function () {
                                                                                  > }
                                                                                  > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                                  trace("Hi there");
                                                                                  }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                                  Adobe Community Expert

• 38. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                                    Level 7
                                                                                    GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                                    > function () {
                                                                                    > }
                                                                                    > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                                    trace("Hi there");
                                                                                    }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                                    Adobe Community Expert

• 39. Re: Swap MovieClips
                                                                                      Level 7
                                                                                      GellyBean,

> but it is not working

> pic1_mc.play();
                                                                                      > function () {
                                                                                      > }
                                                                                      > }

not.

function test() {
                                                                                      trace("Hi there");
                                                                                      }

clipA.test();

David Stiller
                                                                                      Adobe Community Expert

1 2 Previous Next