7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2006 8:48 AM by Mister Peanut

Buggy Scenes

Mister Peanut Level 1
      I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a (now) completely messed up webpage. I have been working with scenes, with a lot of gotoAndStop, and gotoAndPlay functions where I direct the viewer to specific scenes and keyframes using gotoAndStop ("Home",1), etc. I have just moved an "Intro" scene to the first place in my website, and now my "Home" scene is number two. Now, whenever I click on certain buttons, I get kicked back to a frozen version of my Intro page.

The code is all correct: It was working perfectly before.

Should making frame labels solve this problem? Or could I be doing something wrong? I have heard that scenes are buggy, maybe this is proof. And if they are buggy, how so, and why should they be?

This is frustrating.

Maybe someone could tell me why frame labels are better, and also, I've heard that Scenes are also a no-no. If this is true, why even have scenes in the first place?

• 1. Re: Buggy Scenes
          Mister Peanut Level 1

If I move the Intro file to be after the "Home" scene, everything works as it should. The only problem is that when I navigate to other scenes, and go back to my "Home" scene, the buttons do not work. Why would they work once, and not the second time?
          • 2. Re: Buggy Scenes
            Rothrock Level 5
            I'm not sure exactly what is going on with your files, but I can tell you a bit about scenes.

Back in the old days, scenes were a great way to organize the structure of your animation – as a truly linear, start-to-finish kind of thing.

The problems come in with the introduction of Actionscript – specifically things that move the playhead back and forth. When publishing, Flash removes all the scenes and just makes one long timeline. Worked great when there was no code, but hasn't been quite right since.

The best thing to do is avoid scenes if you are going to control the playhead with code.
            • 3. Re: Buggy Scenes
              Mister Peanut Level 1
              It has been suggested that each Scene should be a separate SWF file. In other words, I should avoid scenes altogether, and save each SWF in the same directory, and load them using the loadMovie function. Would you agree that this is the best method for constructing a website?

I suppose it'll take a lot of work, though, to change my scenes to separate SWF's, and change my Actionscript to loadMovie instead. That being said, loading external SWF's seems cumbersome as well. Is this how most people do it? Does this involve making a "master" swf and loading all other swf's into it? I'm not sure of the best way to do this. I am creating a website for a client. This is my firs website that will be hosted online, and I would like it to run efficiently.

Cheers for the input,

• 4. Re: Buggy Scenes
                Level 7
                It all depends on the structure of your site and how its to be navigated.
                Scenes are most useful when a movie is to be played from beginning to end,
                with no jumps forward. If that suits your design, then that's fine .. if
                you want your visitors to be able to jump to different parts from (say) a
                menu, then scenes are not appropriate.

• 5. Re: Buggy Scenes
                  Mister Peanut Level 1
                  I have different pages(scenes) in my website. All navigation buttons and menus are the same on each page. The content and graphics all change considerably. I have an intro logo animation that I would like to put before the home page. The biggest problem I have is how inconsistent the button links are behaving - especially those buttons that link to frames within it's own scene. Always having trouble with this. Would you recommend switching all scenes to separate swf's? There is no playing from beginning to end in any scene except maybe the intro video, which seems to be messing things up.

I guess I've gotta do something different...

Thanks for the words of wisdom.
                  • 6. Re: Buggy Scenes
                    Rothrock Level 5
                    One more word: MovieClipLoader. I think it is all well and good to learn how to load a movie using loadMovie and then how to make your own preloader to be able to work with the realities of delivering content over the web. You will learn a lot of good skills and things to think about.

But in the end – unless you plan to publish for Flash 6 or earlier – drop loadMovie and use the MovieClipLoader class. Check it out in the help files, learn how to use it on a few sample files, and then work it into your site.
                    • 7. Re: Buggy Scenes
                      Mister Peanut Level 1
                      Cheers, Rothrock. I'm sure this will go a long way in helping me create a professional website. It is hard to find this professional template of good design practise, especially since most of the certified help out there will teach you everything, even if it is not recommended for creating a solid site.

Thanks to people like you in forums like these, I won't be polluting the discussions as much with so many questions. I'll check out the MovieClipLoader and try out some tutorials...