7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2006 5:26 AM by jhgfn

program struggles with compressed Real Player Video..HEEEELP?

jhgfn

I compress my Real player movies with Discrete cleaner. And when they play in the projector on many computers they are choppy. Only extremely high end computers play them smoothly.....can any one help me with this. Is the compression doing something to slow them down?

my other email also is libertyweb@hotmail.com

Thank Yoooou so much!

gary
        • 1. Re: program struggles with compressed Real Player   Video..HEEEELP?
          Level 7
          What sort of data rate and video size did you compress them to?
          IMO Real isn't a good delivery format for video - I for one will refuse
          to install their player. Why did you choose this over QuickTime, MPEG or
          Flash video?
          • 2. Re: program struggles with compressed Real Player   Video..HEEEELP?
            jhgfn Level 1

Wow thanks for the reply! I compress with discrete logics cleaner five software choosing a pre-set setting for high band Streaming, even though of course it does not stream...404 kbits/s max 29 Fps For real G2 Audio 64 Kbps Video is 320 X 240. The original is almost 2 gigs and after compression (and it looks good) it is about 16 Megs.

I have chossen Real Player because the compressed results often look better then any other, and the end file is
            smaller then most (almost halve the size smaller then others). Also I need to put a pause and play button in the projector and director only targets either Quick time flash and Real Player, not any avi.. For the same reason that you will not install Real Player, many friends I know wont install Quicktime as it often takes over their whole system. Unfortunatly the one software that I was not trained on is flash, So I don't know much about it, and have choosen Real player. It works well in my projectors and plays well on high end systems but the lower ones seem to sputter chock and even stop. Even with a 5 meg video?\.

Hope this info helps, Thanks sooooo much for your help!!!

Gary
            • 3. Re: program struggles with compressed Real Player     Video..HEEEELP?
              Level 7
              If you compress with the On2 codec you will get a small, good quality
              file that you can play back in Director using the latest Flash Asset
              xtra with no dependency on 3rd party players/installers. Perhaps you
              could give it a try
              • 4. Re: program struggles with compressed Real Player     Video..HEEEELP?
                jhgfn Level 1

Thanks Sean, I downloaded the demo flix and yes it works great, THANK YOU! but.... I have to be able to apply a play and pause button that director connects to the video. Under behaviors it has drag and drop options for real player, but alas none for flash objects. the user must be able to pause the video at any time.... thanks so much for your suggestion, the compression with Flix cuts the size down to almost half again...great, now I just have to find away to add control buttons!

Gary
                • 5. Re: program struggles with compressed Real Player     Video..HEEEELP?
                  jhgfn Level 1

Thanks Sean, I downloaded the demo flix and yes it works great, THANK YOU! but.... I have to be able to apply a play and pause button that director connects to the video. Under behaviors it has drag and drop options for real player, but alas none for flash objects. the user must be able to pause the video at any time.... thanks so much for your suggestion, the compression with Flix cuts the size down to almost half again...great, now I just have to find away to add control buttons!
                  ...any ideas?

Gary
                  • 6. Re: program struggles with compressed Real Player       Video..HEEEELP?
                    Level 7
                    I'm pretty sure the Flash video is basically just a movieClip, so once
                    you find a handle to it you can use stop() and play(). Drag the sprite
                    into the Object Inspector and run your Director movie. Poke around in
                    the sprite's .objectList (expand the sprite in the OI) and experiment
                    with the message window to find the right movieClip to target.
                    OTOH, if you have Flash I believe there is a video player component you
                    can use, so you could compile the 2 into the same swf.
                    • 7. Re: program struggles with compressed Real Player       Video..HEEEELP?
                      jhgfn Level 1

THanks SEAN sooo much for all your help!!! I really appreciate you taking the time. I will use your sugestions!!

Have a wonderful afternoon!

Gary