3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2009 6:49 AM by MSKRodney RSS

32K ActionScript Limit

Regarding the following FAQ: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flexfaq.html#itemA-24 I need a little clarification.

I want to implement the suggested fix of putting in extra code to force the compiler to break at a different place. However, I wanted to know, if anyone has experience with it, whether this hack will be a long-term solution, or will we be constantly needing to change the amount of extra code as the number of options on the form in question grows.

This is an Intranet application built in ColdFusion Flash Forms.
        • 1. Re: 32K ActionScript Limit
          ntsiii Community Member
          I wrote that item in the FAQ. I have had "lots" of experience with the 32k limits.

First, are you really still on Flex 1.5?

If so, then yes, you will be constantly adjusting the "extra code" as your real code changes.

This problem goes away in Flex 2+.

Tracy Spratt
          Lariat Services
          Flex Development bandwith available
          • 2. Re: 32K ActionScript Limit
            umuayo Community Member
            Thanks Tracy, I guess that means there are no updates or patches from Adobe for those still on Flex 1.5
            • 3. Re: 32K ActionScript Limit
              MSKRodney Community Member

Thanks for the response. I was afraid that was going to be the answer.

We are still on Flex 1.5 in this particular situation because we are using ColdFusion's "Flash Forms" feature to generate the code. Unfortunately, Adobe used Flex 1.5 within ColdFusion to create this feature; and it has not been upgraded. As far as I know, there are no plans to ever upgrade this feature in ColdFusion. That probably isn't a bad thing, since the feature is very limited on a number of levels.

We do our real Flex work in 2.0, soon to be 3.0. This was a "quick and dirty" project with "simple" use cases and requirements that grew into something that is now kinda stretching the linits of what can be done without using real Flex.