1 2 3 Previous Next 187 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2006 6:33 PM by Newsgroup_User

Pros and Cons of using the stage

Glenno_uk
      Hi,

I'm just wondering how many people use the Stage with Director apps. How many avoid it and entirely manage/create their assets and display them at runtime(with newMember, puppets, etc).

When would you use it? For some apps, none, never? Or its maybe its useful for some apps, but a hindrance for others?

I'm also looking for any technote/book/forum posts, which may elaborate on other peoples views on the matter.

Thanks in advance,
      Glen
        • 1. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
          duckets Level 1
          Hi Glen,

The stage is the window in which your movie is displayed, and so is pretty essential for any projects with visible elements! The only time you might consider not using the stage is if you were using director to control external devices, or creating an audio-only project - something like that.

- Ben
          • 2. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
            Level 7
            On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:58:32 GMT, Glenno_uk posted in
            macromedia.director.lingo:

> I'm just wondering how many people use the Stage with Director apps.

I think you're asking about using the stage/score to do all animation, etc.

> How many avoid it and entirely manage/create their assets and display
            > them at runtime(with newMember, puppets, etc).

And here, you're talking about an app that is done entirely in Lingo. I think
            these are commonly referred to as single or 1-frame movies.

> When would you use it?

I personally have never done a Lingo-only app (at least not on a Multimedia
            CD-ROM scale).

I tend to mix it up. Some things are faster for me to use the Score, but I do
            have a large library of reusable code I've built up over the years. So, I
            typically use the score to position the elements, and Lingo to provide
            interactivity/animation/etc. Some markers are multi-purpose and controlled by
            Lingo.

> I'm also looking for any technote/book/forum posts, which may elaborate
            > on other peoples views on the matter.

groups.google.com is the best place to search for previous posts in these
            newsgroups. Just use the Advanced search and restrict the search to
            macromedia.director.* groups.

There may be some articles/discussions on the DOUG site, too.
            http://www.director-online.com

--
            Mark A. Boyd
            Keep-On-Learnin' :)
            • 3. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
              Level 7
              In addition to Mark's comments:

After you go back to a "1-frame" project that you haven't worked on for over
              a year, or if you ever have to take over someone elses project that didn't
              use the score, you'll never do it again.

However, I think it would be useful at times, like if you are programming a
              game, and have to populate the screen with a bunch of similar things of
              varying numbers. For some reason, I keep thinking of bumble bees.

Timm
              >
              > I think you're asking about using the stage/score to do all animation,
              > etc.
              >

• 4. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                Level 7
                I disagree. I use 1 frame programming fairly often, and as long as the
                code is reasonably well documented, it isn't hard to get back to an old
                project a year or more later. I just make sure to comment EVERY
                function I write with the reason for it's existence, where it is
                normally used, the input parameters and the outputs. And when I use
                those functions, I generally put in a comment explaining why it is used
                there. It makes tracing through the program fairly easy once you get
                used to it. It is never easy to jump into someone else's code, but if
                there is a documented trail of how things work, it makes it a little easier.

Though I generally use a sort of expanded version where there is more
                than 1 frame used. The program all happens in parent scripts, timing is
                done using timeout objects, I generally have only one of any given type
                of sprite (digital video, Impressario, etc) that gets it's .filename
                changed as needed. If there are screens that need different backgrounds
                or have wildly different interactive elements, then I'll jump to another
                frame setup for that. Usually, there is a main menu screen with buttons
                to the various other screens. Each of those will be on a different
                frame in Director.
                • 5. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                  Glenno_uk Level 1
                  Hi again, Thanks for the responses.

I guess my post was a bit of a loaded question. I've been using Director now for about 12+ years, and I've written 1-frame movies as well as totally score driven animations, as well as many apps that use both. I believe each has its uses as different apps have very different specs. I count both techniques as important and useful.

The trouble is, we have a developer that sees 1-frame movies as the nirvana of Director coding. As in, you start out using frame sequence animations, then build up to complete apps that use frames + behaviours and code, then once youve cut your teeth on those, you then move on to completely writing your games/apps/projects totally in code. With not a single asset ever actually placed on the stage. He sees having stuff on the stage as comforting and a habit that needs to be broken. Heres a quote of his:
                  "Multimedia developers start their careers with small apps, glorified powerpoint presentations with the stage and score used to modify graphics over time. I have spent years doing this in my career and it was a hard habit to break, it is comforting to open an application and see something on stage.

As multimedia developers progress more and more control and complexity is required and large scripted runtime object models need to be implemented The developer moves away from reliance of the score and stage. "

My post on these forums, is to try to find a Lingo authority(other than me), to try to convince him(and our bosses), that he is wrong in the sense that 'everything must be done in code at runtime'. And the actual fact of the matter, is that sometimes, projects led themselves to stage apps, and sometimes to 1-frame development. And to say outright that all projects from now on MUST be written all in code, is hamstringing yourself by reducing your options.

I need other support. I am an expert Lingo programmer with years of experience, but my opinion is just not having any effect. I've tried searching in those places you mentioned Mark, but its hard coming up with a well defined search term, without either getting 0 results, or thousands. Would any of you know of any discussions/books/literature that I could point him in the general direction of.

Thanks again,
                  Glen
                  • 6. Pros and Cons of using the stage
                    duckets Level 1
                    I have always used a mixture of both. My development experience is mostly games related, and my projects tend to go one of two way, either 2d or 3d. For both, I generally use one frame for the actual gameplay loop.

For 2d games, I always use the score for sprites, on screen displays, level display etc. For example, a platformer: I would have one sprite which is the 'map viewport', displaying the currently visible portion of the map. I have code running that updates this image based on the map data and player position. Collectables, Baddies, particle systems, etc are then usually implemented with 'pools' of sprites which can be used and reused as necessary.

There's almost never a need to have a theoretically unlimited number of dynamically created sprites (which some people like), and having unused placeholder sprites waiting offstage incurrs practically no performance hit. These all appear on one frame. So, I might have 1 player sprite, 40 particle system sprites, 10 enemy sprites, all above the base 'map display' sprite. The sprites in the 'enemy pool' are then used in turn to display any given enemy that is within the visible region.

For 3d games, it really has to all be in the code. Obviously the sprites metaphor doesn't apply and the best way is create and use parent scripts to represent your moving objects and systems within the world, so in my 3d games you'll often find only a single sprite on a single frame for the gameplay itself.

HOWEVER... (this bit may be of most interest to your developer), I always implement all the peripheral elements to the game in the score on other frames (either that, or in a flash movie embedded in the director move, which is pretty much the same for the purposes of this discussion). Very similar to your approach, I think. This includes elements such as the title screen, instructions page, send to a friend screen, define keys, game over, level complete screen, etc.

This is specifically the type of thing that the sprite/score/stage/behaviour system in Director is designed for (and flash with its equivalent metaphors). To ignore this and try and implement an application with any kind of graphical user interface is ridiculous.

Does your developer also insist that all the graphic assets for his applications are created only by plotting pixels via code he's written himself? Should the sound effects be created from scratch by someone setting the individual bits of wav data one by one in a repeat loop? Why not?... :-)

So the score of my game movies tend to contain score-based animation and interactivity for all the parts of the movie which aren't part of the actual 'core game loop' itself, because that is what the score is designed for, and that is by far the quickest and most productive method of laying out and implementing a graphical interface with simple interactivity. The game loop itself which features very complex interactivity takes one frame because that *is* the kind of code which fits a 1-frame approach. However even within that 1 frame, you can choose to use multiple sprites, sprite pools, or dynamic sprites created on the fly, whichever is the best method for implementing the job in hand.

To tie yourself to a strict script-only approach of producing all applications is to really ignore the rest of the very useful tools at your disposal in Director.

Hope this helps!

- Ben

• 7. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                      Level 7
                      Well, which is it? You contradict yourself:

"I use 1 frame programming fairly often"

or

"Though I generally use a sort of expanded version where there is more
                      than 1 frame used. "

If I had to work on someone else's one frame, I would prefer to work on
                      yours! :) I've been haveng to debug a previous programmer's actionscript
                      lately, and there is not one line of comments in them, well except for where
                      "trace" functions are commented out. Which this is this?

Cheers,
                      Timm

"Mike Blaustein" <mblaustein@gmail.com> wrote in message
                      news:efj03e$ech$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >I disagree. I use 1 frame programming fairly often, and as long as the
                      >code is reasonably well documented, it isn't hard to get back to an old
                      >project a year or more later. I just make sure to comment EVERY function I
                      >write with the reason for it's existence, where it is normally used, the
                      >input parameters and the outputs. And when I use those functions, I
                      >generally put in a comment explaining why it is used there. It makes
                      >tracing through the program fairly easy once you get used to it. It is
                      >never easy to jump into someone else's code, but if there is a documented
                      >trail of how things work, it makes it a little easier.
                      >
                      > Though I generally use a sort of expanded version where there is more than
                      > 1 frame used. The program all happens in parent scripts, timing is done
                      > using timeout objects, I generally have only one of any given type of
                      > sprite (digital video, Impressario, etc) that gets it's .filename changed
                      > as needed. If there are screens that need different backgrounds or have
                      > wildly different interactive elements, then I'll jump to another frame
                      > setup for that. Usually, there is a main menu screen with buttons to the
                      > various other screens. Each of those will be on a different frame in
                      > Director.

• 8. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                        Level 7
                        Really, loaded questions are fun once in a while.

The score is one of the tools in Director. If it was best to never use it,
                        after 10 versions it might have been done away with. Each project should be
                        evaluated on a case by case basis, and as someone else said, he better
                        document the heck out of it.

Does you're co-worker read these forums? It sounds like he might be happier
                        over in the C++ world.

Timm

"Glenno_uk" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:efj0kb$f09$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Hi again, Thanks for the responses.
                        >
                        > I guess my post was a bit of a loaded question. I've been using
                        > Director
                        > now for about 12+ years, and I've written 1-frame movies as well as
                        > totally
                        > score driven animations, as well as many apps that use both. I believe
                        > each
                        > has its uses as different apps have very different specs. I count both
                        > techniques as important and useful.
                        >
                        > The trouble is, we have a developer that sees 1-frame movies as the
                        > nirvana of Director coding. As in, you start out using frame sequence
                        > animations, then build up to complete apps that use frames + behaviours
                        > and
                        > code, then once youve cut your teeth on those, you then move on to
                        > completely
                        > writing your games/apps/projects totally in code. With not a single asset
                        > ever
                        > actually placed on the stage. He sees having stuff on the stage as
                        > comforting
                        > and a habit that needs to be broken. Heres a quote of his:
                        > "Multimedia developers start their careers with small apps, glorified
                        > powerpoint presentations with the stage and score used to modify graphics
                        > over
                        > time. I have spent years doing this in my career and it was a hard habit
                        > to
                        > break, it is comforting to open an application and see something on stage.
                        >
                        > As multimedia developers progress more and more control and complexity is
                        > required and large scripted runtime object models need to be implemented
                        > The
                        > developer moves away from reliance of the score and stage. "
                        >
                        > My post on these forums, is to try to find a Lingo authority(other
                        > than
                        > me), to try to convince him(and our bosses), that he is wrong in the sense
                        > that
                        > 'everything must be done in code at runtime'. And the actual fact of the
                        > matter, is that sometimes, projects led themselves to stage apps, and
                        > sometimes
                        > to 1-frame development. And to say outright that all projects from now on
                        > MUST
                        > be written all in code, is hamstringing yourself by reducing your options.
                        >
                        > I need other support. I am an expert Lingo programmer with years of
                        > experience, but my opinion is just not having any effect. I've tried
                        > searching
                        > in those places you mentioned Mark, but its hard coming up with a well
                        > defined
                        > search term, without either getting 0 results, or thousands. Would any of
                        > you
                        > know of any discussions/books/literature that I could point him in the
                        > general
                        > direction of.
                        >
                        > Thanks again,
                        > Glen
                        >

• 9. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                          Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                          Timm

>
                          > Director.

• 10. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                            Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                            > Director
                            > totally
                            > each
                            >
                            > and
                            > completely
                            > ever
                            > comforting
                            > over
                            > to
                            >
                            > The
                            >
                            > than
                            > that
                            > sometimes
                            > MUST
                            >
                            > searching
                            > defined
                            > you
                            > general
                            > direction of.
                            >
                            > Thanks again,
                            > Glen
                            >

• 11. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                              Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                              Timm

>
                              > Director.

• 12. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                > Director
                                > totally
                                > each
                                >
                                > and
                                > completely
                                > ever
                                > comforting
                                > over
                                > to
                                >
                                > The
                                >
                                > than
                                > that
                                > sometimes
                                > MUST
                                >
                                > searching
                                > defined
                                > you
                                > general
                                > direction of.
                                >
                                > Thanks again,
                                > Glen
                                >

• 13. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                  Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                  Timm

>
                                  > Director.

• 14. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                    Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                    > Director
                                    > totally
                                    > each
                                    >
                                    > and
                                    > completely
                                    > ever
                                    > comforting
                                    > over
                                    > to
                                    >
                                    > The
                                    >
                                    > than
                                    > that
                                    > sometimes
                                    > MUST
                                    >
                                    > searching
                                    > defined
                                    > you
                                    > general
                                    > direction of.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks again,
                                    > Glen
                                    >

• 15. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                      Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                      Timm

>
                                      > Director.

• 16. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                        Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                        > Director
                                        > totally
                                        > each
                                        >
                                        > and
                                        > completely
                                        > ever
                                        > comforting
                                        > over
                                        > to
                                        >
                                        > The
                                        >
                                        > than
                                        > that
                                        > sometimes
                                        > MUST
                                        >
                                        > searching
                                        > defined
                                        > you
                                        > general
                                        > direction of.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks again,
                                        > Glen
                                        >

• 17. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                          Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                          Timm

>
                                          > Director.

• 18. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                            Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                            > Director
                                            > totally
                                            > each
                                            >
                                            > and
                                            > completely
                                            > ever
                                            > comforting
                                            > over
                                            > to
                                            >
                                            > The
                                            >
                                            > than
                                            > that
                                            > sometimes
                                            > MUST
                                            >
                                            > searching
                                            > defined
                                            > you
                                            > general
                                            > direction of.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks again,
                                            > Glen
                                            >

• 19. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                              Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                              Timm

>
                                              > Director.

• 20. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                                > Director
                                                > totally
                                                > each
                                                >
                                                > and
                                                > completely
                                                > ever
                                                > comforting
                                                > over
                                                > to
                                                >
                                                > The
                                                >
                                                > than
                                                > that
                                                > sometimes
                                                > MUST
                                                >
                                                > searching
                                                > defined
                                                > you
                                                > general
                                                > direction of.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks again,
                                                > Glen
                                                >

• 21. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                  Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                                  Timm

>
                                                  > Director.

• 22. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                    Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                                    > Director
                                                    > totally
                                                    > each
                                                    >
                                                    > and
                                                    > completely
                                                    > ever
                                                    > comforting
                                                    > over
                                                    > to
                                                    >
                                                    > The
                                                    >
                                                    > than
                                                    > that
                                                    > sometimes
                                                    > MUST
                                                    >
                                                    > searching
                                                    > defined
                                                    > you
                                                    > general
                                                    > direction of.
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks again,
                                                    > Glen
                                                    >

• 23. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                      Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                                      Timm

>
                                                      > Director.

• 24. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                        Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                                        > Director
                                                        > totally
                                                        > each
                                                        >
                                                        > and
                                                        > completely
                                                        > ever
                                                        > comforting
                                                        > over
                                                        > to
                                                        >
                                                        > The
                                                        >
                                                        > than
                                                        > that
                                                        > sometimes
                                                        > MUST
                                                        >
                                                        > searching
                                                        > defined
                                                        > you
                                                        > general
                                                        > direction of.
                                                        >
                                                        > Thanks again,
                                                        > Glen
                                                        >

• 25. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                          Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                                          Timm

>
                                                          > Director.

• 26. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                            Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                                            > Director
                                                            > totally
                                                            > each
                                                            >
                                                            > and
                                                            > completely
                                                            > ever
                                                            > comforting
                                                            > over
                                                            > to
                                                            >
                                                            > The
                                                            >
                                                            > than
                                                            > that
                                                            > sometimes
                                                            > MUST
                                                            >
                                                            > searching
                                                            > defined
                                                            > you
                                                            > general
                                                            > direction of.
                                                            >
                                                            > Thanks again,
                                                            > Glen
                                                            >

• 27. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                              Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                                              Timm

>
                                                              > Director.

• 28. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                                                > Director
                                                                > totally
                                                                > each
                                                                >
                                                                > and
                                                                > completely
                                                                > ever
                                                                > comforting
                                                                > over
                                                                > to
                                                                >
                                                                > The
                                                                >
                                                                > than
                                                                > that
                                                                > sometimes
                                                                > MUST
                                                                >
                                                                > searching
                                                                > defined
                                                                > you
                                                                > general
                                                                > direction of.
                                                                >
                                                                > Thanks again,
                                                                > Glen
                                                                >

• 29. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                  Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                                                  Timm

>
                                                                  > Director.

• 30. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                    Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                                                    > Director
                                                                    > totally
                                                                    > each
                                                                    >
                                                                    > and
                                                                    > completely
                                                                    > ever
                                                                    > comforting
                                                                    > over
                                                                    > to
                                                                    >
                                                                    > The
                                                                    >
                                                                    > than
                                                                    > that
                                                                    > sometimes
                                                                    > MUST
                                                                    >
                                                                    > searching
                                                                    > defined
                                                                    > you
                                                                    > general
                                                                    > direction of.
                                                                    >
                                                                    > Thanks again,
                                                                    > Glen
                                                                    >

• 31. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                      Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                                                      Timm

>
                                                                      > Director.

• 32. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                        Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                                                        > Director
                                                                        > totally
                                                                        > each
                                                                        >
                                                                        > and
                                                                        > completely
                                                                        > ever
                                                                        > comforting
                                                                        > over
                                                                        > to
                                                                        >
                                                                        > The
                                                                        >
                                                                        > than
                                                                        > that
                                                                        > sometimes
                                                                        > MUST
                                                                        >
                                                                        > searching
                                                                        > defined
                                                                        > you
                                                                        > general
                                                                        > direction of.
                                                                        >
                                                                        > Thanks again,
                                                                        > Glen
                                                                        >

• 33. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                          Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                                                          Timm

>
                                                                          > Director.

• 34. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                            Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                                                            > Director
                                                                            > totally
                                                                            > each
                                                                            >
                                                                            > and
                                                                            > completely
                                                                            > ever
                                                                            > comforting
                                                                            > over
                                                                            > to
                                                                            >
                                                                            > The
                                                                            >
                                                                            > than
                                                                            > that
                                                                            > sometimes
                                                                            > MUST
                                                                            >
                                                                            > searching
                                                                            > defined
                                                                            > you
                                                                            > general
                                                                            > direction of.
                                                                            >
                                                                            > Thanks again,
                                                                            > Glen
                                                                            >

• 35. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                              Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                                                              Timm

>
                                                                              > Director.

• 36. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                                Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                                                                > Director
                                                                                > totally
                                                                                > each
                                                                                >
                                                                                > and
                                                                                > completely
                                                                                > ever
                                                                                > comforting
                                                                                > over
                                                                                > to
                                                                                >
                                                                                > The
                                                                                >
                                                                                > than
                                                                                > that
                                                                                > sometimes
                                                                                > MUST
                                                                                >
                                                                                > searching
                                                                                > defined
                                                                                > you
                                                                                > general
                                                                                > direction of.
                                                                                >
                                                                                > Thanks again,
                                                                                > Glen
                                                                                >

• 37. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                                  Level 7
                                                                                  Sorry, I got a little wordy here, but I'll post anyway.

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:38:51 GMT, Glenno_uk posted in
                                                                                  macromedia.director.lingo:

> My post on these forums, is to try to find a Lingo authority(other than
                                                                                  > me), to try to convince him(and our bosses), that he is wrong in the
                                                                                  > sense that 'everything must be done in code at runtime'. And the actual
                                                                                  > fact of the matter, is that sometimes, projects led themselves to stage
                                                                                  > apps, and sometimes to 1-frame development. And to say outright that
                                                                                  > all projects from now on MUST be written all in code, is hamstringing
                                                                                  > yourself by reducing your options.

Hamstring is a good word for it.

I agree with you. Especially if you're about to make a company policy.

Another consideration might be speed of development. The Score can really
                                                                                  help if you get a job with a low budget and a short deadline. Although,
                                                                                  typically that type of job is, as your colleague says, a glorified
                                                                                  PowerPoint presentation.

Also, do you need to consider how long it might take a new employee to get
                                                                                  up to speed with the methods/policies in place?

In the end, I think that time from start to completion and ease of
                                                                                  maintenance/upgrades should be the deciding factor.

Attaining a goal of the 1-frame movie can be a very good learning
                                                                                  experience, but I don't think that skill should be used exclusively. It's
                                                                                  nice to be able to choose the right methods for the job at hand.

It's easy for programmers to get carried away with the cool things we've
                                                                                  learned.

The ship's captain asks "Where is the Sun?"

Overzealous programmer: Let's see, variables needed are time of day, day of
                                                                                  year, longitude, latitude, lookup table (or some math I don't know).
                                                                                  <Punches keys on calculator> "It is at X degrees in the sky." (or whatever
                                                                                  terms those astronomers use)

Boatswain: <steps on deck and points at sun in sky> "There, sir."

Both are absolutely correct and answered the question. Which method is
                                                                                  better? Did the captain care which method was used?

What if he wants to know where it will be 1 hour from now? Methinks one
                                                                                  method will be better suited than the other to answer that question.

> searching in those places you mentioned Mark, but its hard coming up
                                                                                  > with a well defined search term, without either getting 0 results, or
                                                                                  > thousands. Would any of you know of any discussions/books/literature
                                                                                  > that I could point him in the general direction of.

Hmm, maybe I'm recalling old Lingo-L/Direct-L/Games-L mailing list
                                                                                  discussions. I've dropped out of those mailing lists, but I'm sure you can
                                                                                  find links to them on the Adobe Director Support pages. Direct-L has a good
                                                                                  archive, but I think Lingo-L's archive is defunct.

By all means, anybody still active on those lists, jump in with links here.

--
                                                                                  Mark A. Boyd
                                                                                  Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                                    Level 7

or

than 1 frame used. "

Cheers,
                                                                                    Timm

>
                                                                                    > Director.

• 39. Re: Pros and Cons of using the stage
                                                                                      Level 7

over in the C++ world.

Timm

>
                                                                                      > Director
                                                                                      > totally
                                                                                      > each
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > and
                                                                                      > completely
                                                                                      > ever
                                                                                      > comforting
                                                                                      > over
                                                                                      > to
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > The
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > than
                                                                                      > that
                                                                                      > sometimes
                                                                                      > MUST
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > searching
                                                                                      > defined
                                                                                      > you
                                                                                      > general
                                                                                      > direction of.
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > Thanks again,
                                                                                      > Glen
                                                                                      >

1 2 3 Previous Next