11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2006 8:31 AM by Newsgroup_User

Exporting movies with nested animations

Hi! I'm hoping someone out there can be of some assistants, I'm currently working on a animation, and I've pretty much finished now and am trying to export the full animation so I can use this within Director MX 2004. Only, now I've discovered that ideally to produce an animation I should have done my entire animation within the main timeline of Flash, I have now found out that if I'm trying to export a animation that includes nested movie clips I'll have problems exporting the entire animation.
      I've spent sometime researching this problem and found that there is a third party applicatiion that will solve this problem, called: swf2avi, my only problem with this is that this program is only available for PC's and I'm using a Mac. Has anyone else ran into this same problem? Does anyone know of another third party application that sloves this problem but is mac friendly? Or if not does anybody have any helpful suggestions that will help me over come this issue?
      Anybody's help / advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
        • 1. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
          Level 7
          Director handles SWF files though doesn't it? I could be wrong about that.
          Sounds like you are exporting to a video format. First see this article:
          http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/flash_to_video.html

and yes, SWF2video is for PC only.

The workaround is for you to simply go back into the FLA and set all movie clips to Graphic symbols
          - you can still have nested animation that are in sync with main timeline *if* they are *Graphic*
          symbols - you will have to do this for every movie clip instance on the stage for every keyframe.

hope this helps.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

123445667789 wrote:
          > Hi! I'm hoping someone out there can be of some assistants, I'm currently
          > working on a animation, and I've pretty much finished now and am trying to
          > export the full animation so I can use this within Director MX 2004. Only, now
          > I've discovered that ideally to produce an animation I should have done my
          > entire animation within the main timeline of Flash, I have now found out that
          > if I'm trying to export a animation that includes nested movie clips I'll have
          > problems exporting the entire animation.
          > I've spent sometime researching this problem and found that there is a third
          > party applicatiion that will solve this problem, called: swf2avi, my only
          > problem with this is that this program is only available for PC's and I'm using
          > a Mac. Has anyone else ran into this same problem? Does anyone know of another
          > third party application that sloves this problem but is mac friendly? Or if not
          > does anybody have any helpful suggestions that will help me over come this
          > issue?
          > Anybody's help / advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
            Level 7
            or does director import EXE files? publish from flash as EXE? i forget - havent used director in
            about 8 years :p

--> www.mudbubble.com
            --> www.keyframer.com

123445667789 wrote:
            > Hi! I'm hoping someone out there can be of some assistants, I'm currently
            > working on a animation, and I've pretty much finished now and am trying to
            > export the full animation so I can use this within Director MX 2004. Only, now
            > I've discovered that ideally to produce an animation I should have done my
            > entire animation within the main timeline of Flash, I have now found out that
            > if I'm trying to export a animation that includes nested movie clips I'll have
            > problems exporting the entire animation.
            > I've spent sometime researching this problem and found that there is a third
            > party applicatiion that will solve this problem, called: swf2avi, my only
            > problem with this is that this program is only available for PC's and I'm using
            > a Mac. Has anyone else ran into this same problem? Does anyone know of another
            > third party application that sloves this problem but is mac friendly? Or if not
            > does anybody have any helpful suggestions that will help me over come this
            > issue?
            > Anybody's help / advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
            >
            >
            • 3. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
              123445667789 Level 1
              Hey thanks for your post, really appreciated!
              Your right Director does handle, swf files, the problem isn't with that but the swf file I'm exporting!
              Because of the nested animations, the swf file isn't allowing me to view the whole film within director, it only run's correctly within the flashplayer itself!

Thanks for the article link, very interesting read and I really like the writers site, some really cool work on it! Unfortunatly though this didn't contain the answer I was looking for!

And I've also already tried changing all the movie clips to graphics in the hope this would slove the problem, but again no luck! Will double check I done this with all files though!

And as to regards to your second post, I tried exporting all other available formats- the exe file, I think my mac version failed to reconize this, and came up with the question: import as: Script or text - which makes me think there is an issue with the fact the file is for different platform! I tried exporting a gif animation, this took some time and only exported a large file with just my blue backdrop! and nothing else on it! The only other format that did export probably was the Macintosh projector - which is the same as the swf file playing in the flashplayer but unfortunatly I can't import the Macintosh projector into director!

Any other ideas would be really appreciated!!!!

• 4. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
                gravideo Level 1
                This is a general comment and does not apply to your problem per se.
                Director does not (yet) handle Flash 8. You must publish your movies for Flash 7 in order to play them in Director MX 2004. Earlier versions of Director will require earlier versions of Flash.
                • 5. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
                  123445667789 Level 1
                  Double checked that I changed all of my movie clips into graphics and still no joy!!!!

Help!!!!!!!
                  • 6. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
                    Level 7
                    make sure you set each graphic symbol to Play Once or Loop - when you change from movie clip to
                    graphic - the default is Single frame (all this in the properties panel).

--> www.mudbubble.com
                    --> www.keyframer.com

123445667789 wrote:
                    > Double checked that I changed all of my movie clips into graphics and still no joy!!!!
                    >
                    > Help!!!!!!!
                    • 7. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
                      123445667789 Level 1
                      What happens if I've used effects that aren't compatiable with flash 7?
                      Any way around this???
                      • 8. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
                        123445667789 Level 1
                        Big apology, just reaslised your the guy featured in the article you attached! Love your work and thanks for getting back to us!
                        I'll check I've done as you said and thanks again!!!!

Si
                        • 9. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
                          Level 7
                          no problem :)
                          just let us know if you work it out.

--> www.mudbubble.com
                          --> www.keyframer.com

123445667789 wrote:
                          > Big apology, just reaslised your the guy featured in the article you attached! Love your work and thanks for getting back to us!
                          > I'll check I've done as you said and thanks again!!!!
                          >
                          > Si
                          • 10. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
                            Level 7
                            then people with an older player wont see those effects.

--> www.mudbubble.com
                            --> www.keyframer.com

123445667789 wrote:
                            > What happens if I've used effects that aren't compatiable with flash 7?
                            > Any way around this???
                            • 11. Re: Exporting movies with nested animations
                              123445667789 Level 1
                              Now having a proper look at your demo file, mind blowing!!!!!
                              My working file is a complete mess! Very, very new to this, thinking I might need to start again!!!!