5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2006 3:04 PM by Captiv8r

Flash Images Missing

booksons
      I've created an .swf from Flash, and am attempting to include it in the presentation I'm building in MenuBuilder. The project will ultimately go on a CD and I don't want an Internet connection mandatory to view the presentation - so I need everything to be included on the CD.

I used a clickbox to link to an .swf file stored in the same directory - but when I preview it launches IE7 and has no images or sound. The .swf is working perfectly on my website at www.pagefreepublishing.com/bloodmoon/

If I tell it to include the file, it wants the whole path beginning with my D: drive. There won't be a D drive on the CD, so I don't think this is correct. If I eliminate all but the name of the .swf file with the .swf extension, nothing else, it gives me an error message saying it won't be included in the file. I've tried everything and cannot get the images to preview in Captivate.
        • 1. Re: Flash Images Missing
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi booksons and welcome to our community

The trick to MenuBuilder is to remove the bits specifying the absolute link. Don't worry, it won't bite you. It will allow you to click in the field and remove everything up to only the .SWF file name (or HTML file name if you are presenting that way)

Once you do this, things should work fine as long as the MenuBuilder file and the other content are in the same location (wherever that location may be - server, CD, etc.)

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Flash Images Missing
            booksons Level 1
            I very much appreciate your response, but I'm still not getting it to work. I have EVERYTHING in the same directory - it previews fine in Flash, but when I put it into MenuBuilder, (with just the file name.swf, no absolute path) - and then preview it - there are no images. It opens a browser window, and the actions are there -but not the graphics. NOTE: I'm using Premium Page Flip within Flash to create a book with turning, virtual pages. The page framework is there, but not the jpeg s I used to create the book. Am I doing something wrong in packaging the .swf file from Flash that keeps it from including my .jpegs possibly?

As I said - it previews fine in Flash, just missing in MenuBuilder.
            • 3. Re: Flash Images Missing
              Hi again booksons

Hmmm, something about this seems to smack of possibly loading some external images dynamically at run time. Is this possibly the case? If so, you will also need to include the images in the output.

Aside from that, I'm a bit stumped. Hopefully someone else might have some ideas. Larry? Steve? Paul? Mark? Bueller?

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Flash Images Missing
                booksons Level 1
                The images are all in the open directory with the .swf and the MenuBuilder files - I didn't want to take any chances. Since this is all residing on my hard drive, everything is there. Is that what you mean? If not, perhaps I don't understand "loading some external images dynamically" - is there a way to "force" MenuBuilder to include those external images?

Captiv8r, I appreciate your patience and aid. As always, I left this until just before deadline and have been cramming with online courses for training in Flash and Captivate - and trying to garner enough to get the job done. At this point it's rather like trying to grow potatoes quickly when company is due for dinner.
                • 5. Re: Flash Images Missing
                  Hi booksons

LOL, indeed I have been told I "have the patience of Job", but never as related to Captivate. I just like to help if I can and I keenly remember what it was like when I was starting out and all those that helped me along the way. LOL, funny analogy about growing potatoes!

Sooo, here goes.

I've seen folks create applications using Flash where they can dynamically pull in other items. For example, a small text file. This would allow anyone to open the text file and make changes without having to either have Flash on hand or know how to use it if they DID have it. (I've got it, but barely know how to use it). Since you mentioned something about a "page turner", I somewhat assumed you meant something like an On-Line picture catalog or something along those lines. In this case, you would just stash a group of photos where the .SWF would expect to find them and be done with it.

But you mention wondering if you needed to "force" MenuBuilder to include the images. So I'll try to explain it a bit better. Think of MenuBuilder as a simple road sign. You have one road that stops and four different directions you can head from there. MenuBuilder is simply directing you to the desired road. Once you make that turn, MenuBuilder is out of the picture. When you create a Menu using MenuBuilder, you are simply creating one place where you can allow users to choose which .SWF file to view. MenuBuilder's only purpose is to start up the movie you link to. Once it's done that, your movie should just play.

I suppose here is how I'd troubleshoot it. Place the .SWF you are linking to in the destination folder. Run it. Do the images show? My guess is they won't, as something has gone haywire with either the .SWF or the way you created it.

Give that a go and see if you see the same behavior. My guess is you will. And if you do, at that point in time, you really will end up sorting why the images aren't showing in the .SWF.

Cheers... Rick