11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2006 10:47 AM by Josh Johnson

Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?

John2
      Hi

I am a coldfusion developer - have used cfeclipse - but its not as good for tag support as dreamweaver..... - YET :)

i am using a trial flex builder and i find that not being able to right click and have it bring up all the properties is really poor
      also when you are typing the code hints are really poor - ok so it can hint mx:image - but then it lists every option - not just the image options

I think that flex builder is pretty poor - when you consider how powerfull dream weaver is.

am I wrong ?
        • 1. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
          David Zuckerman (Adobe)
          When you say code hints lists mx:Image and then all the other image options, are you referring to the properties that are available on mx:Image?

In terms of language intelligence, what would you add to Flex Builder to make the code hints more closely resemble what you are looking for? Any specfic feedback we get can potentially be incorporated into the next versions of Flex Builder 2.

• 2. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
            Bret_Patterson
            I noticed the same thing about the code hints, it just lists too many to be of any use in most situations. I find it faster to have a browser up and read the livedocs instead.

I would list all of the properties for that class first with seperator and then list the inherited properties optionally. Or better yet go through each object and selectively mark the most commonly used properties and show those and then have a option to turn on all properties.

Having a 150 property window sorted alphabetically is not real useful when your not sure what the property is called that you need, which is when code hints is useful.
            • 3. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
              doug777 Level 1
              Comparing the Flex code editor with the Dreamweaver code editor, I would love to have the ability to highlight bits of code and then cut or copy and paste them with the mouse the way you can in DW. And the addition of that cool little toolbar on the left of the DW8 editor window that lets you add and delete comments, outdent and indent, collapse and expand lines would be a big plus for Flex.

Doug
              • 4. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
                John2 Level 1
                things I would like to see in flex builder -

right clicking on a "tag" brings up a diaglog box with all the properties for that tem
                improved code hints so that they bring up the properties just for the function you are writing eg
                when you type <cflo it provides <cflocation then you type ur and it knows you mean url="" etc etc

other than that I think its pretty complete - the above are issues that I have with cfeclipse as well.. but 1.3 should fix all that..

also the functions having what types should be passed to is is really useful for examle replace(string,string,string)
                • 5. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
                  ntsiii Level 3
                  Ok, me too:
                  Highlight and drag "cut and paste" functionality. Yeah, ctl-x / ctrl-v is ok, but I am becoming a mouseaholic.

Tracy
                  • 6. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
                    Josh Johnson Level 1
                    Seconding doug777 - Highlighting and dragging text to perform cut/paste operations in the source would be helpful. I hadn't noticed how often I use that until it was gone.
                    • 7. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
                      Level 7
                      Josh Johnson wrote:
                      > Seconding doug777 - Highlighting and dragging text to perform cut/paste operations in the source would be helpful. I hadn't noticed how often I use that until it was gone.

Unfortunatley this is behavior that we have inherited from Eclipse. We
                      will look into addresssing this in the next release.

winsha
                      • 8. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
                        Josh Johnson Level 1
                        One other that's driving me crazy... no keyboard shortcuts for shift-left, shift-right, or a code clean-up command. [hint: use the same Ctrl-< and Ctrl-> keybindings that DW uses]
                        • 9. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
                          refugeo Level 1
                          I have not found a way to Appy Source Formatting in Flex...does it exsist somewhere and I am not seeing it? This would be a nice feature for neat freaks like me.

Also a code view and a design view split would be REALLY da kine.
                          • 10. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
                            inlineblue Level 1
                            quote:

Originally posted by: Josh Johnson
                            One other that's driving me crazy... no keyboard shortcuts for shift-left, shift-right, or a code clean-up command. [hint: use the same Ctrl-< and Ctrl-> keybindings that DW uses]

You can assign your own keyboard shortcuts to just about any function in FB2. Go to Window -> Preferences. Under General -> Keys you can add/remove keyboard shortcuts. Shift left/right is under the Edit category.

And by default you can use Tab and Shift-Tab to do shift right/left.
                            • 11. Re: Flex builder 2 - Lacking in power?
                              Josh Johnson Level 1
                              Thanks, the keyboard shortcuts help a lot, though the "Apply Source Formatting" would still be really useful if you folks at Adobe are listening. ;-)