3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2006 7:05 AM by Newsgroup_User

Marque Tool

at_play Level 1
      Whn you use the marque tool and do NOT click off onto something else to unselect what was selected and you then switch to a different tool you can't do anything until you again reselt the Marque tool and unselect what is selected.

This is extremely annoying. Is there away to make this auto unselect when switching to a new tool?

Anyway to edit it in XML config files or something? I don't know how it is setup but anyway to do what I am talking about?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Marque Tool
          Level 7
          The opposite would be twice as annoying - if the area had to be
          reselected just because I wanted to change tools.

A quick way to unselected is to use the Ctrl+d keystroke.

alex

secret_warrior wrote:
          > Whn you use the marque tool and do NOT click off onto something else to
          > unselect what was selected and you then switch to a different tool you can't do
          > anything until you again reselt the Marque tool and unselect what is selected.
          >
          > This is extremely annoying. Is there away to make this auto unselect when
          > switching to a new tool?
          >
          > Anyway to edit it in XML config files or something? I don't know how it is
          > setup but anyway to do what I am talking about?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          • 2. Re: Marque Tool
            at_play Level 1
            I don't know, guess it depends how you use it I suppose.

In other programs when you switch to a different tool it unselects and allows you to work on other shapes, objects when you do switch tools. Fireworks doesn't and I NEVER remember to unselect thus when switching to a different tool you can't do ANYTHING at all unless you then go back and select the Marque tool and unselect whatever is selected.

It should assume that when I switch to a different tool I am done with the previous one and unselect.

Thus I was wondering if there was a way to customize my copy to operate in the way I work.

Since you do not like the way I work I would be interested in learning how you use the tool because I might start using it
            the way you do could save me a headache or two.

Thanks for your response.

Has to be away to do what I want or at least a better way of working it.

• 3. Re: Marque Tool
              Level 7

secret_warrior wrote:
              > I don't know, guess it depends how you use it I suppose.
              >
              > In other programs when you switch to a different tool it unselects and allows
              > you to work on other shapes, objects when you do switch tools. Fireworks
              > doesn't and I NEVER remember to unselect thus when switching to a different
              > tool you can't do ANYTHING at all unless you then go back and select the Marque
              > tool and unselect whatever is selected.

By using Ctrl+d one does not have to go back to the Marquee tool. Ctrl+d
              will unselect no matter what tool you have selected. So, yes, one more
              step from what you are used too.
              >
              > It should assume that when I switch to a different tool I am done with the
              > previous one and unselect.
              >
              > Thus I was wondering if there was a way to customize my copy to operate in the
              > way I work.

As far as I know there is no way to change this.

>
              > Since you do not like the way I work I would be interested in learning how you
              > use the tool because I might start using it
              > the way you do could save me a headache or two.

Actually there is nothing wrong with the way you work. I did not mean to
              imply that I didn't like it. There are as many ways to work in FW as
              there are folks using it. We all have our favorite workflow/habits. Like
              any other application out there, sometimes it takes some getting used to
              the way things work. Specially if we are switching from other apps and
              are used to the way things work.

>
              > Thanks for your response.
              >
              > Has to be away to do what I want or at least a better way of working it.
              >
              >
              >