4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2006 5:34 AM by Newsgroup_User

Wait a second... is this even *possible*?

bcowley
      I've dug around through my fair share of Flash MX/8/etc books and tutorials, and I can't seem to find an answer to my particular situation. Here's the lowdown:

I have a streaming video file (embedded in a very basic .swf) in a perl/html page. I need to be able to click on links in the "outer" page to jump to certain timestamps in the streaming video. These navigational buttons can't reside within the swf itself, because they're dynamic and need to be updated via javascript when other things happen on the page.

I'm pretty new to using Flash, so... does this make any sense? Is it possible to "send" command-type information to the affect the streaming video file from outside the swf?

I'm going slowly insane trying to dig through the clutter of examples that only reference skinning the default internal player buttons- any help would be more than appreciated!
        • 1. Re: Wait a second... is this even *possible*?
          Level 7
          Madrar,

> I need to be able to click on links in the "outer" page
          > to jump to certain timestamps in the streaming video.
          > These navigational buttons can't reside within the swf
          > itself, because they're dynamic and need to be updated
          > via javascript when other things happen on the page.

This can be done, but it gets complicated pretty quickly. Check out
          this (somewhat dated) TechNote.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15683#jtfc

Essentially, you'll want to set up a loop in your SWF to constantly
          check the value of your variable, as set from the outsite. When value of
          that variable changes, use the new value to do whatever you like.

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Wait a second... is this even *possible*?
            bcowley Level 1
            David-

Thank you for the quick response- that was tremendously helpful! ^_^ Any idea about whether that variable can be used to jump to a timestamp in the streaming movie? I've been trying to find actionscript for jumping to a given timestamp in the streaming video file, but seem to be getting nothing back but tutorials on jumping to a given frame in the swf itself, which isn't quite what I'm looking for.
            • 3. Re: Wait a second... is this even *possible*?
              Level 7
              Madrar,

> Any idea about whether that variable can be used to
              > jump to a timestamp in the streaming movie?

A variable is a variable. :) You could use it to set the text in a
              text field, or decide how many cards to show in a card game, or decide what
              character to show in a cartoon, or, sure, to jump to a cuepoint in a video
              clip.

> I've been trying to find actionscript for jumping to a
              > given timestamp in the streaming video file,

... If your approach would have allowed this anyway, then you can
              perform the same working solution with a variable. The challenging part, in
              this case, is to get the outside data into the SWF. I would start there and
              make a few proofs of concept to illustrate to yourself that it can be done.
              Once you've mastered that, set to work jumping to various cue points in a
              video with buttons that are *in* the SWF -- again, just to prove to yourself
              you can do it -- and when you've mastered both steps, combine them.

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert
              Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
              "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 4. Re: Wait a second... is this even *possible*?
                Level 7
                Sure - check out the seek method of the NetStream Class

--
                -------------------------------
                Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail
                -------------------------------