3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2006 7:22 AM by shishir332

RPC fault in HTTPService.

shishir332 Level 1
      I have successfully deployed my application on a server that hosts Flex Data Services. However during a HTTPService call from my application I get the following error. Please can someone throw some light as what needs to be done. I know am missing a link to define a channel for RPC call. However I am not sure how to configure that.

[RPC Fault faultString="Send failed" faultCode="Client.Error.MessageSend" faultDetail="Channel.Connect.Failed error NetConnection.Call.Failed: HTTP: Status 500"]
      at mx.rpc::AbstractInvoker/ http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::faultHandler()
      at mx.rpc::Responder/fault()
      at mx.rpc::AsyncRequest/fault()
      at mx.messaging::ChannelSet/::faultPendingSends()
      at mx.messaging::ChannelSet/channelFaultHandler()
      at flash.events::EventDispatcher/flash.events:EventDispatcher::dispatchEventFunction()
      at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
      at mx.messaging::Channel/mx.messaging:Channel::connectFailed()
      at mx.messaging.channels::PollingChannel/mx.messaging.channels:PollingChannel::connectFailed ()
      at mx.messaging.channels::AMFChannel/mx.messaging.channels:AMFChannel::statusHandler()

TIA
      ~Shishir
        • 1. Re: RPC fault in HTTPService.
          seth_hodgson
          Hi Shishir,

It looks like the client isn't able to establish a successful connection to the server. Based on the HTTP status response of 500, I'd take a close look at the server console/log during startup to ensure that no exceptions are being thrown during initialization of the MessageBrokerServlet.

Regards,
          Seth
          • 2. RPC fault in HTTPService.
            Peter Farland Level 3
            Here's a whole laundry list of things to consider:

In your HTTPService tag, have you set useProxy="true"?

If so, are you using your own destination, or are you relying on the default destination for the proxy service, i.e. DefaultHTTP?

Have you looked at the default channels defined for the proxy service (these are used if you have not explicity referenced any channels in your destination)? Or perhaps you do have channels referenced in your destination's config?

Either way, these references point to a channel definition in the top level /WEB-INF/flex/services-config.xml. Do any of these channel definition enpoint uris have a {context.root} token in them? If so, did you specify a --context-root=/flex command line argument to the mxmlc compiler or flex builder compiler when building your SWF? Did you also specify a --services=c:/path/to/your/services-config.xml command line argument when compiling so that the channel definitions make it into the SWF?

Can you test browsing to the channel endpoints and check they're alive?

Have you got the debug version of the Flash Player? If so, have you tried adding a <mx:TraceTarget level="0" /> to ensure all connectivity information is reported in the trace output?

Perhaps you're making changes to the configuration files and forgetting to restart the server? Or perhaps Flex Builder isn't really recompiling your SWF? Can you try forcing a clean and recompile?
            • 3. Re: RPC fault in HTTPService.
              shishir332 Level 1
              Hi Pete,
              Thank for your reply. I have tried to answer the queries you have put in as your reply.

>> In your HTTPService tag, have you set useProxy="true"?
              Yes,

>>If so, are you using your own destination, or are you relying on the default destination for the proxy service, i.e. >>DefaultHTTP?

Not Sure, but I guess the defualt destination , coz I have not created any of my own destinations.

>>Have you looked at the default channels defined for the proxy service (these are used if you have not explicity referenced >> any channels in your destination)? Or perhaps you do have channels referenced in your destination's config?
              Am confused. :(. I have not defined anything of my own. No channels, destinations, or end points.

>>Either way, these references point to a channel definition in the top level /WEB-INF/flex/services-config.xml. Do any of >>these channel definition enpoint uris have a {context.root} token in them? If so, did you specify a --context-root=/flex >>command line argument to the mxmlc compiler or flex builder compiler when building your SWF? Did you also specify a >>--services=c:/path/to/your/services-config.xml command line argument when compiling so that the channel definitions >>make it into the SWF?

How do I specify these command line arguments to the compiler , while compiling from within the flex builder.

>>Can you test browsing to the channel endpoints and check they're alive?
              No idea, how to do that.

>>Have you got the debug version of the Flash Player? If so, have you tried adding a <mx:TraceTarget level="0" /> to ensure >>all connectivity information is reported in the trace output?
              No , I dont think I have the debug version, I just downloaded the file available from the site.

>>Perhaps you're making changes to the configuration files and forgetting to restart the server? Or perhaps Flex Builder >>isn't really recompiling your SWF? Can you try forcing a clean and recompile?

I have not made any changes to any of the config files, and therefore I dont need to restart the server I guess. How do I know if the Flex Builder is really compiling my SWF.

Even more so , with all these hindrances, I am really baffeled by the fact that when I run my application directly from the flex builder, the application can access the URLs and retrieve data. However when I deploy the same onto my OC4J app server (which has FDS) I start getting this errror. Can you please clarify why this is so, that my application fails to access internet when I run it from the server and also how different it is to run the application from the flex builder than to run it from an application server with FDS(flex data services).

In anticipation of your reply.

Thanks,
              Shishir