5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2007 7:15 AM by Newsgroup_User

How to make rounded corners symmetric?

Alexandre.Gomes
      When I create a rounded rectangle, for instance with 50x50 size, and I setup the corners radius to 5 the result is this. Can anyone tell me how to obtain symetric corners?

This is the original fireworks png... fell free to edit it
        • 1. Re: How to make rounded corners symmetric?
          Level 7
          Alexandre.Gomes wrote:
          > When I create a rounded rectangle, for instance with 50x50 size, and I setup
          > the corners radius to 5 the result is <a target=_blank
          > class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
          > href=" http://www.alexandre-gomes.com/rounded_tests.png">this</a>. Can anyone
          > tell me how to obtain symetric corners?

First, you are using a hard line stroke which will look very jagged.
          Change your stroke to Basic Soft Line. In this case that will fix your
          problem.

Secondly, if you need resize a Rounded Rectangle AutoShape, do it with
          either the yellow control point provided for it or, if you use Fireworks
          8, use the AutoShape Properties Panel to resize it with numerical
          precision. In any FW version, don't use the regular Properties Inspector
          to resize an AutoShape numerically as that will distort the actual shape
          of your rounded corners.

--
          St�phane Bergeron
          reach : connect : communicate
          http://www.webfocusdesign.com
          blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
          http://www.pixelyzed.com
          • 2. Re: How to make rounded corners symmetric?
            Alexandre.Gomes Level 1
            Thank you for your anwser.

I do not whish to use the soft line, I know about it and it "visually" solves the problem, but it increases the border size that should be 1. And it also changes the border color to a light version.

About the resize methods I'm, and were, aware of that. As you can easily check thats not the problem in this case.

Don't tell me FF doesn't have a way of having a rectangle with round corners and hard line.... that would be at least very bad...
            • 3. Re: How to make rounded corners symmetric?
              Level 7
              Alexandre.Gomes wrote:
              > Thank you for your anwser.
              >
              > I do not whish to use the soft line, I know about it and it "visually" solves
              > the problem, but it increases the border size that should be 1. And it also
              > changes the border color to a light version.
              >
              > About the resize methods I'm, and were, aware of that. As you can easily check
              > thats not the problem in this case.
              >
              > Don't tell me FF doesn't have a way of having a rectangle with round corners
              > and hard line.... that would be at least very bad...

Round corners and hard line will look bad in any app. You need to use a
              Soft line with any kind of curvy path. FW has a bug with certain shapes
              like AutoShapes where it will anti alias straight segments of 1 px soft
              lines over two pixels. To fix this you need to move your shape by half a
              pixel in either direction. Unfortunately Fireworks' native toolset won't
              let you do it but there's an extension that can. Download it here
              (you'll need to sign up but that's free):

http://www.phireworx.com/content/members/supernudge/default.asp

Open that panel once installed and use it to move your objects by 0.5
              pixels until a soft line 1px stroke segment that is not curved looks sharp.

I created the following image to illustrate a similar bug with the Pen
              tool for Macromedia engineers. I think you'll understand what is going
              on when you see it:

http://www.webfocusdesign.com/test/pixel_grid_and_antialiasing.gif

--
              St�phane Bergeron
              reach:connect:communicate
              www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
              www.pixelyzed.com
              • 4. Re: How to make rounded corners symmetric?
                Martinator
                quote:

Round corners and hard line will look bad in any app...

That is a matter of opinion and is no excuse for asymetrical radii generation...

This is a bug plain and simple
                • 5. Re: How to make rounded corners symmetric?
                  Level 7
                  huh?

Martinator wrote:
                  >
                  quote:

Round corners and hard line will look bad in any app...

>
                  > That is a matter of opinion and is no excuse for asymetrical radii generation...
                  >
                  > This is a bug plain and simple