4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2006 8:57 AM by Newsgroup_User

Need Direction RE:possible Director use

midmatt
      imedioa

Hello People, new to Director ......

I hyave been tasked with developing an App for a night club which will deliver Multimedia content to a Large screen.

The hardware configuration is as follows:

Windows Box with a dual display output.

The primary output is simply a run of the mill display that will be observed by Club personell and act as the control centre for the Multimedia Presentation to be the delivered on the large screen (Secondary Display).

The intent is to use windows Desktop extend feature between the two displays.

I would like the operator to have access to a Custom Form which he/she may navigate to interact with the stage on the secondary display so as to change content, sequences, etc. on the fly.

The Audience viewing the secondary display should only see the director stage with no hints of navigation buttons, mouse cursors, etc.

A quick overview of Director suggests that either Javascript or Lingo may be used to automate various aspects of the Director Stage but I did not see anything explicit about creating a seperate user form as such.

Can any one advise as to wheter Director can be used in such a way or is there something better suited.

Regards: Matt. (techmatt@sympatico.ca)

• 1. Re: Need Direction RE:possible Director use
          Level 7
          Director can certainly handle this. There are many approaches to accomplish
          the goal. I would suggest that the secondary display be implemented by what
          is called a Movie in a Window (MIAW). The primary display would be the Stage
          (the parent window). On the stage will be the controls that you build. Using
          lingo you can create, size and position the MIAW (a child window) so that
          it completly and perfectly fills the secondary display.

• 2. Re: Need Direction RE:possible Director use
            midmatt Level 1
            Well thats encouraging!!

Ill take a look at MIAW in a little more depth.
            I will assume it can act as a container for movies as well as animations, photos, sounds, etc ??

Thanks for your feedback.
            • 3. Re: Need Direction RE:possible Director use
              midmatt Level 1
              Okay sorry for my "Director" ignorance, with reference to my last post, .. the use of the word "MOVIE" in director talk is a culmination of all media types and thier relative timings .....from what I have further explored.

Based upon the clubs needs there will be different viewing activities based on time of day, time of week, on demand, so for example the club operator would be able to be playing a "movie (soccer highlights) in MIAW 1 by having activated it via stage button on demand and decide to run an AD BANNER on MIAW 2 via another toggle button and possibly turn on Kitchen Specials via MIAW 3 ... all of them independendent but overlaying on same secondary screen.

Is this approach reasonable?
              • 4. Re: Need Direction RE:possible Director use
                Level 7
                On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 05:13:08 GMT, midmatt posted in
                macromedia.director.basics:

> Okay sorry for my "Director" ignorance, with reference to my last post,
                > .. the use of the word "MOVIE" in director talk is a culmination of all
                > media types and thier relative timings .....from what I have further
                > explored.
                >
                > Based upon the clubs needs there will be different viewing activities
                > based on
                > time of day, time of week, on demand, so for example the club operator
                > would be able to be playing a "movie (soccer highlights) in MIAW 1 by
                > having activated it via stage button on demand and decide to run an AD
                > BANNER on MIAW 2 via another toggle button and possibly turn on Kitchen
                > Specials via MIAW 3 ... all of them independendent but overlaying on
                > same secondary screen.
                >
                > Is this approach reasonable?

Yes it is. Do be careful about trying to overtax the computer, though. Test
                early and test often.

Just to help clarify Director's terms a bit, the files saved by Director are
                refered to as Movie (and castLib) files. Nothing to do with video files.

When we speak of films/videos in here, we prefer to use the terms video,
                digital video, or whatever their actual format is. ie: QT, WMV, MPEG-1, etc.
                It helps avoid that confusion.

If you ask about animation, you'll need to be quite specific as to what the
                animation consists of and how it was created. This can be an animation
                created in Director, Flash, a 3D program (many people save a video file out
                of their 3D app and still refer to it as an animation), etc...

It does sound as if Director is the right tool for your needs.

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin' :)