6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2006 11:45 AM by _lw

level of detail, rendering polygons

dsdsdsdsd Level 1
      hello;

I understand that there exists the lod modifier and also hither/yon camera properties;

asside from these are there any other ideas on controlling rendered polygons?

thanks
      dsdsdsdsd
        • 1. Re: level of detail, rendering polygons
          _lw Level 1
          can you explain a littel bit more what you seek?

you can use the sds modifier to add polygones to a model, you can set the visibility to front, back, both and none and it is possible to use "removefromworld" and "addtoworld" if you want to take out complete models from rendering....

cheers!
          • 2. Re: level of detail, rendering polygons
            dsdsdsdsd Level 1
            hondo3000, thanks for responding;

I am currently using a removefromworld/addtoworld manager;

one thing that would be very interesting is a way to not render anything that is not in front of the camera;

any thoughts?

dsdsdsdsd
            • 3. Re: level of detail, rendering polygons
              _lw Level 1
              the shockwave3D engine renders only things that are infront of the camera. There is only the part renderred that is determined by the field of view, yon, and hither.
              • 4. Re: level of detail, rendering polygons
                dsdsdsdsd Level 1
                hondo3000, are you certain that the out-of-camera stuff is not being rendered; I have a five storey building; when all 5 storeys are added to world the character movement is very sluggish even though storeys 2-5 cannot be seen; but if I removefromworld storeys 2-5 the animation runs smoothly;

NEW QUESTION : once the lod.level has been decreased to 60, is it not possible to get the lod.level back to 100;

thanks
                dsdsdsdsd
                • 5. Re: level of detail, rendering polygons
                  dsdsdsdsd Level 1
                  forget the new question - the answer is yes;
                  • 6. Re: level of detail, rendering polygons
                    _lw Level 1
                    >are you certain that the out-of-camera stuff is not being rendered
                    yes! but don't mix up "modelsunderray" with the rendering.

I think you use a "modelsunderray" solution for collisiondetection. in this case you should "removefromworld" all models that don't have to be checked for collision and "addtoworld" them after the lines of code that handle the ray collision.

check the "lifedocs" for more informations on optimizing the "modelsunderray" stuff, you can set a list of models that have to be checked and you can specifie a maximum distance. these stuff can help to make things faster.

to the new question:
                    i think changing the lod.level back to 100 should be no problem, are you sure you set "lod.auto=false" ?