3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2006 7:45 AM by Newsgroup_User

Is it possible to link text created in Actions panel?

laurieannstevens
      Hi all,

I downloaded a flash site template (some time ago) that I'm just getting round to using. I don't recall if support was offered when I bought the site. If so, I've long since lost the link to that support. So, I'm turning here for help.

The site in question is www.plumbingsystems.net. Within the template there are individual movies. One of these movies is titled, "Text Area." I don't believe I can actually post this movie for review but I'm hoping by posting the text layout under "actions" that someone out there might be able to tell me how this text can be formatted and, most importantly, if the text can be linked to other URLs. Specifically, I want to take the text that makes up the "Client List" text and link some of the client names to external URLs with photos of the client's work. Here is how the text appears within the "actions" panel of the Text Area movie:

text = "With decades of experience in commercial and industrial plumbing, the owner and employees of Plumbing Systems understand the needs of contractors. We provide expertise with numerous specialty piping services, reliability in meeting timelines and a commitment to working within budget."+newline+newline+"Having worked jobs from 4,000 to 400,000 square feet and covered projects from commercial kitchens to malls and medical centers, we’re familiar with the challenges of both large and small scale projects. We can offer up everything from planning and design of a job, to installation and maintenance."+newline+newline+"Our ability to handle a project from planning through completion has allowed us to build long-term working relationships with some of the country’s top companies. Take a look at our client list, projects and other links. We think you’ll see why Plumbing Systems is the logical choice for contractors looking to partner with success.";

Again, I need to know if/how this type of text can be made to a live link to a URL. Is this possible? I'd appreciate any help. This has confounded me, on and off, for a long time with these types of templates.

Laurie
        • 1. Re: Is it possible to link text created in Actions panel?
          Level 7
          Laurie,

> I want to take the text that makes up the "Client List"
          > text and link some of the client names to external URLs
          > with photos of the client's work. Here is how the text
          > appears within the "actions" panel of the Text Area movie:
          >
          > text = "With decades of experience in commercial and
          // etc.

If this "Text Area movie" is a text field, you may be in luck. Look up
          the TextField class in the ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference (F1 key) to
          see all the features available to dynamic and input text fields. Features
          are categorized as Properties (characteristics of the object), Methods
          (things the object can do) and Events (things the object can react to) --
          and this holds true for all class entries. (Classes define their namesake
          objects, so class entries are a great first stop.)

You'll see a TextField.text property that may be reading the text you
          see. There's also a TextField.htmlText property that supports minor HTML
          formatting, including hyperlinks.

See if that gets you started, and write back if you have additional
          questions.

David
          stiller (at) quip (dot) net
          Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Is it possible to link text created in Actions panel?
            laurieannstevens Level 1
            Hey David,

Thanks for the prompt reply. As you surmised, I'm new to Action Script... but I'll check out the sections mentioned along with a the tutorial I'm working on from VTC (on Action Script). And, thanks, too, for offering to stand by for more questions. They'll probably be coming :s:.

Laurie
            • 3. Re: Is it possible to link text created in Actions panel?
              Level 7
              Laurie,

> thanks, too, for offering to stand by for more
              > questions. They'll probably be coming :s:.

Sure thing. :)

For what it's worth, you may want to check out the "crash course"
              articles listed here ...

http://www.quip.net/blog/first-time-here/

Your own tutorial(s) may have all the information you need, of course,
              but it can be useful to have more than one guide.

David
              stiller (at) quip (dot) net
              Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
              "Luck is the residue of good design."