4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2006 3:57 PM by Newsgroup_User

Overlapping slices

Max Stewart Level 1
      Attempts to overlap a slice (in Frame 2) swapped in from rolling over one hotspot with a slice (also in Frame 2) swapped in from rolling over another hotspot results in FW (V8.0.0.777) responding "unable to render" when I preview. I assume this is because the table creation gets too confused. How pls do I get round this? Put the second slice in another Frame (e.g. Frame 3) or another layer or what? I am very stuck for space on the page and need rollover splices to occupy more or less the same space.
      Also, is it possible for a rollover to initiate the swapping in of more than one slice? (I need to display a picture on one part of the page and the caption somewhere else)
      Max

• 1. Re: Overlapping slices
          airbob Level 1
          I'm not quite sure what your asking here. . could you perhaps post and example? also, i want to help you realize taht when you overlap a slice the part that's being overlaped is just a new cell anyways, so there not really a reason to do that
          • 2. Re: Overlapping slices
            Level 7
            Max Stewart wrote:
            > Attempts to overlap a slice (in Frame 2) swapped in from rolling over one
            > hotspot with a slice (also in Frame 2) swapped in from rolling over another
            > hotspot results in FW (V8.0.0.777) responding "unable to render" when I
            > preview. I assume this is because the table creation gets too confused. How pls
            > do I get round this? Put the second slice in another Frame (e.g. Frame 3) or
            > another layer or what? I am very stuck for space on the page and need rollover
            > splices to occupy more or less the same space.

I'd need to see your PNG file to understand what you are asking. Can you
            upload it to your Web site?

> Also, is it possible for a rollover to initiate the swapping in of more than
            > one slice? (I need to display a picture on one part of the page and the
            > caption somewhere else)

Yes. That called a disjoint rollover. You'll find instructions for it in
            the help files under Creating a disjoint rollover.

--
            Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.projectseven.com
            Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
            CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
            Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
            • 3. Re: Overlapping slices
              Max Stewart Level 1
              PNG uploaded to www.decomplexity.com/NewRutlandMap1.png
              The small round red logo buttons (and one man-on-a-horse button) are hotspots which, when moused over, do a disjoint swap-in of the related photo.
              Photos are typically adjacent but non-overlapping. All works OK.

However, I would like to partly overlap the photos to save display space on the page, but when I do so, I often get a 'database error - unable to render' message when I Preview.
              • 4. Re: Overlapping slices
                Level 7
                Max Stewart wrote:
                > PNG uploaded to www.decomplexity.com/NewRutlandMap1.png
                > The small round red logo buttons (and one man-on-a-horse button) are hotspots
                > which, when moused over, do a disjoint swap-in of the related photo.
                > Photos are typically adjacent but non-overlapping. All works OK.
                >
                > However, I would like to partly overlap the photos to save display space on
                > the page, but when I do so, I often get a 'database error - unable to render'
                > message when I Preview.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but that cannot be made usable
                as a Web page. First, it's far too large. I have a 21 inch screen and it
                doesn't fit. I have to scroll both vertically and horizontally to see
                the whole thing. The exported file size will be too large for half your
                viewers.

Think about making the base map half as large as it is, and instead of
                using hotspot rollovers, think about creating the interactive map in
                Flash, or in Dreamweaver with something like show/hide layers.

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm