5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2006 2:44 PM by Simon_Photographic

just a simple 7 second movie

Simon_Photographic
      All I'm trying to do is create a little movie containing 7 jpegs that will slowly and SMOOTHLY cross-dissolve into one another on my index page. I want it to run once when the page opens and stop at the end with the last image staying visible. I"ve tried every tutorial I can find from Adobe, Flash Help, and Lynda.com. I can now make balls bounce, things change shape, images either fade in or out, and a lot of other things. But I can't find anywhere just some simple instructions on how to make a nice clean little movie that will do what I'm after. What I'm after is sort of like what's offered at www.showitfast.com, except I don't want the movie to continue running. I just want it to run once and stop at the end. Can anyone point me toward some tutorials I may have missed? This doesn't seem like it should be that big a deal. I can get something close in Image Ready, but the file ends up being huge no matter how I tweak the images. I can't find a tweening method in Flash that does the same thing the tweening does in Image Ready.
      Thanks...
        • 1. Re: just a simple 7 second movie
          Level 7
          Simon,
          stopping a movie is as simple as adding a stop action its last frame.
          Press F1 and search for animation - very easy to apply motion tweens to symbols and fade them out -
          in fact similar question was asked and answered here with the past couple of days.
          Weird thing is, you sound like you know the basics of flash since you mention tweening and various
          other techniques - are you asking how to stop the movie or how to fade the images or both?

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

Simon Photographic wrote:
          > All I'm trying to do is create a little movie containing 7 jpegs that will
          > slowly and SMOOTHLY cross-dissolve into one another on my index page. I want it
          > to run once when the page opens and stop at the end with the last image staying
          > visible. I"ve tried every tutorial I can find from Adobe, Flash Help, and
          > Lynda.com. I can now make balls bounce, things change shape, images either fade
          > in or out, and a lot of other things. But I can't find anywhere just some
          > simple instructions on how to make a nice clean little movie that will do what
          > I'm after. What I'm after is sort of like what's offered at www.showitfast.com,
          > except I don't want the movie to continue running. I just want it to run once
          > and stop at the end. Can anyone point me toward some tutorials I may have
          > missed? This doesn't seem like it should be that big a deal. I can get
          > something close in Image Ready, but the file ends up being huge no matter how I
          > tweak the images. I can't find a tweening method in Flash that does the same
          > thing the tweening does in Image Ready.
          > Thanks...
          >
          • 2. Re: just a simple 7 second movie
            gmerrilllee
            If I understand what you want, this might help:
            1. Place each of the 7 images on a separate layer.
            2. Each of the layers should have its image (as a clip) placed farther down the time line. Let's say image 1 shows on frame 5 of layer 1. Image 2 will first appear on frame 30 on layer 2 and so on for all seven layers.
            3. Use the _alpha setting to bring each image up from 0 to 100 and then back to 0 again. This will fade it in and then out.
            4. If you overlap the fade ins and outs of the images you can get what you want.
            5. You can adjust the speed by giveing the images more or less frames in between each one.
            6. Make sure you put a "stop();" in the last fram of the movie or it'll repeat.
            • 3. Re: just a simple 7 second movie
              Simon_Photographic Level 1
              First of all: A great big thanks to gmerrilllee. Simple, clear instructions. I love it. You should do a book yourself. I followed your advice and it's done. Very cool.
              To Chris: Hey, Chris. I know, I'm kinda mixed up with all this stuff. I've been a commercial/fashion photographer for 30 years and have all sorts of experience with Photoshop, Image Ready, and others. This web stuff is pretty new to me. Some things from the other programs drift over and apply to this work, but some are different. So, yeah, I sort of know this stuff, but I'm still figuring a lot of it out.
              Thanks, guys, and sorry for sounding like such a bonehead...
              • 4. Re: just a simple 7 second movie
                Level 7
                no - you didnt sound like a bonehead - but i wasnt sure your skill level - which dicates how much
                detail we need to go into with our explainations...glad you worked it out.

-c

Simon Photographic wrote:
                > First of all: A great big thanks to gmerrilllee. Simple, clear instructions. I
                > love it. You should do a book yourself. I followed your advice and it's done.
                > Very cool.
                > To Chris: Hey, Chris. I know, I'm kinda mixed up with all this stuff. I've
                > been a commercial/fashion photographer for 30 years and have all sorts of
                > experience with Photoshop, Image Ready, and others. This web stuff is pretty
                > new to me. Some things from the other programs drift over and apply to this
                > work, but some are different. So, yeah, I sort of know this stuff, but I'm
                > still figuring a lot of it out.
                > Thanks, guys, and sorry for sounding like such a bonehead...
                >
                • 5. Re: just a simple 7 second movie
                  Simon_Photographic Level 1
                  Thanks to you guys I finished it. If you're interested; www.simonphotographicart.com . The movie on the opening page was the one that was giving me a bad time. Thanks again...