• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking from an Image Map in one topic to selected text in a separate topic/ file

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2006 Sep 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to be able to create a link from different areas on an image map to selected portions of text that reside in a separate topic/ file. This is akin to using a bookmark in the target file, however, I would like to find a way to display only the selected text, and not the entirely of the file content after the bookmark.

I would greatly appreciate any help to enlighten me on how to do this. Thanks! Joyce

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JoyceKathleen and welcome to our community

I'm thinking you could easily do this by using a custom sized popup. Then simply size the popup accordingly so that only the relevant text is visible in the popup window. This might mean inserting several empty paragraph marks between actual content in the file you are linking to.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Rick. I am a brand new user of RoboHelp, so I hope you will bear with me . . .
With the solution that you are proposing, I would create a link in a pop-up window that would go to the bookmarked portion of the file, then the size of the popup would limit the view of that file? That does sound like an easy solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again JoyceKathleen

Indeed it sounds like you have it down! I do this sometimes with a long list of Phone Numbers. Just sprinkle them down a single page. Insert a bookmark next to each number. Then ensure an ample supply of paragraph markers exist between each phone number. The end result should be that your user will click the link and a popup window appears. (sized to your specifications, of course )

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I forgot to add. I'm also an Adobe certified RoboHelp and Captivate instructor, so I'm quite accustomed (and hopefully very patient) with new users.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Thank you so much! It does work. In my situation, though, rather than a list of phone numbers which makes every bookmarked paragraph the same size, my paragraphs are set up as field definitions in a table. So some are short, others have a lengthy explanation, etc. I can add space between the rows of the table to get a little more esthetic view in the popup, and can customize the size of each pop-up. So this does work for me. I will just have to remember to resize the pop-up down the line if there are significant changes in the bookmarked content.

I was wondering if there is a way to use conditional build tags in the target document, so that just the targeted text was included and the rest of the document text is excluded. Do you think that can be done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again JoyceKathleen

I'm unclear on how you would accomplish this using build tags. From what I'm seeing, it seems you think they are somehow dynamic, where you can apply them on the fly in your resulting help. Unfortunately, this isn't the way they work. They work by excluding certain information at the time you build your project.

Click here to read more

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. yes, I understand now. I've never used them, and pretty much understood from reading about them that they were used to exclude rather than include, but I see from what you said that this is only done when the project is compiled. So thank you for that clarification.

I've also been trying to use triggers and targets as a solution following the steps provided in HELP for using DHTML effects. But so far have been unable to create a single linked effect. I can create the trigger with the cable drum, and I can create the target with the plug, and link the drum to the target with the green line (although the green line always disappears). However, I have not been able to see the effect (see the link) in the htm View. Do you know if there's something "tricky" that needs to be done to set up this trigger to target link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, I think I must be doing something wrong in setting the link from the trigger to the target by dragging the drum with the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again JoyceKathleen

With many products, certain "whiz bang" features are added that don't seem to offer much in the way of functionality. For me, the whole "Trigger/Target" feature falls into this category. The ONLY time I've ever used it is when I'm conducting a RoboHelp HTML class and we work through a module demonstrating using this feature. This is tied to DHTML effects and is a fairly advanced feature. So I'd say it's probably best to forget using them. At least for now. Try to get your head around the basic use of RoboHelp first. Then, if you feel adventurous, try them out. You will likely find that they really don't seem to offer anything in the way you think they should.

Just an observation... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thank you Rick. I wasn't so much interested in the DHTML effects as the fact that this did seem to be a way to create a link from the image map that displayed only specifically selected text . But I wasn't able to make it work.

Going back to your original suggestion, is there a way to remove the scroll bars so that they do not appear in the custom-sized pop-up window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Indeed there is. But as with anything in life, it's a trade-off. You can tweak the page containing the information in such a way that it will not allow scrolling. All you do is to open the page inside the WYSIWYG editor, then click the TrueCode tab near the bottom on the right hand side of the RoboHelp HTML application. Once you do this, you are looking at the HTML code for the topic. Scroll to the top and you should find an area labeled <BODY>. You amend this by adding a SCROLL=NO so the tag reads: <BODY SCROLL=NO>.

Now for the trick. You need to save the page immediately after making the edit. Just press Ctrl+S and you should be good to go.

The trade off? Well, should you need to link to this page as a simple long list that the user can scroll, it's just stuck because of that SCROLL=NO attribute.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Wow, that's great information. Thank You! I'll have to think this through and see what works best! You've been a terrific help! Thanks again.
Joyce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp