Exit

Renaming Project Loses Images Path

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2006 Sep 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit -- Properties -- File Name
File -- Rename Project -- Project Name

When I rename these two properties, my images stop showing in the project. When I click on Image Properties with the topic, the path of the images is gone. The image is still present in the Topic Folder, however, and I am able to reinsert them manually one-by-one.

Is there a reason why this path is globally changing/breaking when I rename my Project?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm that you are renaming these entities in RH itself and not in Windows Explorer. If the later, that is why you are having problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed - the top of my original comment shows where I am renaming from the RH Menu (EDIT -- PROPERTIES -- FILE NAME) and (FILE -- RENAME PROJECT -- PROJECT NAME). Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I'm glad about that. There is no reason why a topic or project rename should break the link to an image unless the image or project was moved to a different location. Even then, the path to the image is shown in it's properties. Indeed it is impossible to have an image in a topic without one! Is the project located on a network? If so, try moving it to a local drive and see if the same occurs there. Also is it only occurring on one project or multiple projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for ther reply Colum. (1) Yes it on a local drive and that is where it is occurring. However, it is in Version Control through MS Visual Studio which is over the network. All activity in RH, however, is from the local drive and we just check it out/in from Source Control. (2) It is happening in multiple projects. The thing that's odd is when I go into Image Properties, the path is restored to the original path from where the Image came and the same image by the same name my also be in the correct Project path. Manually, I am correcting each image by going into the Image properties and delting the front part of the path since the image name is in-tact and it re-embeds the image. There are a lot, however, and I'm concerned right now with 8 Topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that this is a version control issue then. I have to say up front I don't use version control but this is what everything seems to point to. The fact that your version control is running over a network shouldn't be the issue though. It is possible to check that all the topic's elements (i.e. images) are checked out/in correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will investigate the Source Control interface further.

My Software Engineers, however, have adivsed me it isn't related to Vers Ctrl because the issue is happening within the RH Project on my local drive. The images are embedded within the RH Project, the RH Project is compiled, the images display within both the Project and the CHM. The Project is then renamed within RH as mentioned above and after renaming it and opening it up again, the path of the images is changed. At this point Version Control is not involved - it is contained on my local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Someone with more experience of source control may be able to help more than me here. It must be a problem with the version control files on your PC - I assume there are some somewhere - not getting updated correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp