8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 9:10 AM by Newsgroup_User

How can I see how often and where an image is used in the site?

beatrice Level 1
      Just realized the post appeared twice as at first sending I got an error page (contains no data...).
      So, please do all answer to the other post, so that all replies get collected at one post only.

Hello,
      please excuse my maybe dumb question but converting from GoLive I am still trying to find several practical effective workflow features in DW ...

1. where in the sitewindow/assets or files panel can I see an indication at each image if and how often it is used in a site?

2. and where can I see/check on which pages it is used?

Thanks in advance for guiding me there ...

bye,
      Beate
        • 1. Re: How can I see how often and where an image is used in the site?
          Level 7
          > 1. where in the sitewindow/assets or files panel can I see an indication
          > at
          > each image if and how often it is used in a site?
          >
          > 2. and where can I see/check on which pages it is used?

There is no such indication. If you would like to suggest that DW provide
          this kind of report, please do so here -

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"beatrice" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gl75no$gpa$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello,
          > please excuse my maybe dumb question but converting from GoLive I am still
          > trying to find several practical effective workflow features in DW ...
          >
          > 1. where in the sitewindow/assets or files panel can I see an indication
          > at
          > each image if and how often it is used in a site?
          >
          > 2. and where can I see/check on which pages it is used?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for guiding me there ...
          >
          > bye,
          > Beate
          >
          >

• 2. How can I see how often and where an image is used in the site?
            beatrice Level 1
            second post as at first submittance I always get an error page (contains not data....)
            • 3. Re: How can I see how often and where an image is used in the site?
              beatrice Level 1
              OK. I sent the below feature request.
              How do DW users know how often and where an image is used on the site then? always doing a find/search?
              in GoLive there was an simple window where all the files a page consisted of were listed plus all the files that were pointing to that page. such, without having to open a page links and image and componentes etc. could be changed via point&shoot.

Couldn't you all think of this a being great and helpful and making site management easy? Then send in a feature request as well, please.

How can one know by the assets or files list if an image is used at all on the site?
              and how many times? and on which pages?
              This is very useful to know especially in larger sites.
              e.g. an image should get changed on one page, now it would be very good to see if when it was used on other pages as well if it would make still sense there when changed.
              as DW can update files (when e.g. an image name gets changed) there is a way this is already recorded. why not take this records and send this back into a list/column in the files panel to indicated that the image is used and how many times.
              plus to have another window that can display all the pages the image is used in.
              so one could click through all those pages and open them to check the image there.
              in GoLive that feature was called 'In and Out links' and one could see a page in the middle and left and right from it many branches/lines at which ends the filenames were visible used in that page.
              so one e.g. could also point and shoot from this list and change a file or image or component simply by point and shooting to the files panel without having to open the pages.
              These features were so practical for an effective daily workflow that I don't understand why they haven't been put into cool DW yet. Please, please do so in the next release. I can test it thoroughly if you need testers for it.
              bye,
              beate
              • 4. Re: How can I see how often and where an image is used in the site?
                Level 7
                > How do DW users know how often and where an image is used on the site
                > then?

I'm not sure what the benefit is of knowing how often an image is used, but
                a search for the image by filename would do the trick.

And just so you'll know, this is a peer forum, not an official communication
                vehicle to Adobe. We are all just users here, not Adobe employees.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"beatrice" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gl7c4d$o0h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > OK. I sent the below feature request.
                > How do DW users know how often and where an image is used on the site
                > then?
                > always doing a find/search?
                > in GoLive there was an simple window where all the files a page consisted
                > of
                > were listed plus all the files that were pointing to that page. such,
                > without
                > having to open a page links and image and componentes etc. could be
                > changed via
                > point&shoot.
                >
                > Couldn't you all think of this a being great and helpful and making site
                > management easy? Then send in a feature request as well, please.
                >
                > ...............
                > How can one know by the assets or files list if an image is used at all on
                > the
                > site?
                > and how many times? and on which pages?
                > This is very useful to know especially in larger sites.
                > e.g. an image should get changed on one page, now it would be very good to
                > see
                > if when it was used on other pages as well if it would make still sense
                > there
                > when changed.
                > as DW can update files (when e.g. an image name gets changed) there is a
                > way
                > this is already recorded. why not take this records and send this back
                > into a
                > list/column in the files panel to indicated that the image is used and
                > how
                > many times.
                > plus to have another window that can display all the pages the image is
                > used
                > in.
                > so one could click through all those pages and open them to check the
                > image
                > there.
                > in GoLive that feature was called 'In and Out links' and one could see a
                > page
                > in the middle and left and right from it many branches/lines at which ends
                > the
                > filenames were visible used in that page.
                > so one e.g. could also point and shoot from this list and change a file or
                > image or component simply by point and shooting to the files panel without
                > having to open the pages.
                > These features were so practical for an effective daily workflow that I
                > don't
                > understand why they haven't been put into cool DW yet. Please, please do
                > so in
                > the next release. I can test it thoroughly if you need testers for it.
                > bye,
                > beate
                >

• 5. Re: How can I see how often and where an image is used   in the site?
                  Level 7
                  beatrice wrote:
                  > OK. I sent the below feature request.
                  > How do DW users know how often and where an image is used on the site then?
                  > always doing a find/search?

I my 11 years of using Dreamweaver (it was v1.2 and was free on a
                  magazine CD) I have never needed to know how often an image is used or
                  where it is used.

Dooza
                  • 6. Re: How can I see how often and where an image is used in the site?
                    jon-dw
                    Just adding a bit more to some replys on find
                    On a PC Click Ctl + f
                    for the Find and Replace dialog box
                    Find in: Select Entire Current local site
                    Search: Select Source Code
                    Find: Enter the actual file name e.g myimage.gif
                    Then Click on Find All
                    You will be presented with a list of files that the image appears in plus a total under the list
                    • 7. Re: How can I see how often and where an image is used in the site?
                      beatrice Level 1
                      yes, thanks for pointing this out, John-in-UK
                      it's more complicated than in & out links, but at least the found pages in the result window can be doubleclicked and opened right away.

Dooza, lucky you that you don't need such feature, but here is an normal daily usage example:
                      on a large site a client has a technical graphic put into several pages.
                      now he sends me an updated, different sized graphic.
                      so I need to check all pages where that image is used to see how the changes might affect the appearance and/or if text/image explanations need to get updated as well on those pages.

bye,
                      beate
                      • 8. Re: How can I see how often and where an image is used   in the site?
                        Level 7
                        beatrice wrote:
                        > Dooza, lucky you that you don't need such feature, but here is an normal daily
                        > usage example:
                        > on a large site a client has a technical graphic put into several pages.
                        > now he sends me an updated, different sized graphic.
                        > so I need to check all pages where that image is used to see how the changes
                        > might affect the appearance and/or if text/image explanations need to get
                        > updated as well on those pages.

Yes, I can see where you would find this feature being useful, hopefully
                        your request to Adobe will have an effect, and in the mean time you have
                        a workaround.

Dooza
                        --
                        Posting Guidelines
                        http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
                        How To Ask Smart Questions
                        http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html