4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2006 7:18 PM by Orab_the_Great

Quick Answers

Orab_the_Great
      Hi All,
      I'm returning to Director after a few years where I was playing about with Authorware. If someone could tell me the answers to the following questions, I'd be very grateful. I've tried finding them but I don't have time to read the volumne of info out there.

OK. I've got Director MX 2004. My questions are:

1. Does this version support mpg or mpeg files? (I assume it does because it can handle DVDs)
      2. Is it easy to do "drag and drop" sequences in Director? Is this behaviour already in the library or do I need to use lingo? (I'm talking about drag and drop operations like in Authoware--i.e you drag something to the target, if it is incorrect it floats or drifts back to its original position). If I need to use lingo, can someone either supply it or point me towards a site or tutorial that does.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
      Cheers,
      Steve
        • 1. Re: Quick Answers
          Level 7

> 1. Does this version support mpg or mpeg files? (I assume it does because it
          > can handle DVDs)

Yes. Just import it... File, Import. By default it will bring it in as
          a Quicktime member, which means that the computer it is being played
          back upon needs to have Quicktime installed. If you don't want that,
          then you'd have to look into a xtra like MpegAdvance which will allow
          you to use mpegs without having anything special installed.

> 2. Is it easy to do "drag and drop" sequences in Director? Is this behaviour
          > already in the library or do I need to use lingo? (I'm talking about drag and
          > drop operations like in Authoware--i.e you drag something to the target, if it
          > is incorrect it floats or drifts back to its original position). If I need to
          > use lingo, can someone either supply it or point me towards a site or tutorial
          > that does.

I have not used Authorware, so I don't know what you mean by
          "sequences", but if you mean can you drag and drop images, movies, or
          other media onto the stage, then yes. That is the standard way of
          putting stuff on the screen.

I am going to give you the same advice I commonly give folks who are
          starting out with Director who have experience with Flash. Though
          Authorware and Director are made by the same company, and the things
          they can do are quite similar, and some of the interface elements are
          similar, it will not make your life easy to try to do things the
          "Authorware" way. You need to get out of a mindset where you think,
          "well, Authorware can do it this way..." since that will only get you
          upset that Director doesn't do it that way. There are loads of good
          sites for info on how to do things the Director way. Read the help
          files, in Director they are actually quite good. Here are some sites I like:

http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director --this is a great lot of
          tutorials from our very own Dean Utian

www.mediamacros.com --this is a great resource for bits of code

www.director-online.com --this is a great resource for descriptions of
          the commands and tutorials
          • 2. Re: Quick Answers
            Orab_the_Great Level 1
            Many thanks for this.

The drag and drop sequence from Authorware I'm sure you can do in Director although I think it will need to use lingo. An example is (as I'm a teacher): you have 5 sentences with missing words from them. The students have to drag the missing words from the top of the screen to the correct sentence. If they are correct, the word stays in place (plus bells and whistles go off), if they are wrong, the word floats back to where it was positioned at the top of the screen. I've seen this done (nearly) in Flash sites (the words didn't return to their original position but just stayed where they were dropped) and the Director book I have mentions similar examples but gives no specifics.

One last question (probably a dumb one). If in my Director movie, I want my students to access the web, is it possible to provide a link (url) which when clicked would fire up a browser and take the students directly to the site? I.e., something similar to a link in Dreamweaver.

And putting Flash buttons in Director is fine or is it better to make them in Director?

Once again, thanks for the tips and advice.
            Regards,
            Steve
            • 3. Re: Quick Answers
              Level 7
              As far as drag and drop, you can make any sprite movable by clicking on
              the movable button in the Property Inspector. Using Lingo, you can
              check to see what the rect is of that sprite, which will tell you where
              it is. There is another Lingo function, intersect (also intersects..
              they both work slightly differently) that will tell you if it is inside
              of another rect. So you can define a certain area of the screen as the
              "drop zone" by using either a rect object which tells the coordinates,
              or a different sprite, and see if that movable sprite is in the zone.
              If it is, then the bells and whistles go off etc...

You can make a Director projector open a browser using the gotoNetPage
              command.

gotoNetPage("www.adobe.com")

You can use Flash buttons or native Director objects, both work just
              fine. There are pros and cons to each method, and it just comes down to
              what you like best. If you are comfortable using Flash, you can do most
              of the work in Flash and use Director as a wrapper for your project, or
              you can use small components from Flash integrated seamlessly into your
              Director project. It is up to you.
              • 4. Re: Quick Answers
                Orab_the_Great Level 1
                Mike, many thanks. You've told me what I need to know.
                Cheers,
                Steve