8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2006 1:26 PM by Newsgroup_User

I'm a newbie and need some basic help...

MikeTheVike24
      I'm a newb trying to teach myself Director. I'm trying to make a menu and I'm having some problems....

I have 3 main buttons. When you click one of the main buttons, 3 sub buttons pop up next to the button pressed. When one of those sub buttons is pressed, a box pops up to the right of the sub buttons and has a list inside containing links to movies. When one of the links is pressed i want the movie to take the place of the links in the box. When the movie is done playing it will disappear and show the links again.

I uploaded what I have done here... http://www.lohrmandesign.com/uploads/Template.dir

If you look at it, could you tell me what I've done correctly, and how I should go about implementing the rest of the menu? I imagine you have to use director movies within the main director movie, but I haven't figured out how to implement that. Or possibly use the .visible command? Thanks for any help...Online resources and examples are scarce for Director it seems.

And I'm not sure if i have to upload all the pics for you to view my movie correctly, If I do, just let me know...
        • 1. Re: I'm a newbie and need some basic help...
          Level 7
          I haven't looked at your Director file, but what you want to do sounds
          pretty simple. First of all, though, can you clarify what you mean by
          "movie," because Director's terminology makes it kind of confusing. Are
          you speaking of a Director movie, or digital video?

If you want to jump to a different Director movie, simply do something
          like this:

on mouseUp me
          go to frame "StartMovie" of movie "Option1"
          end

To get back to your menu, just use an exitFrame command at the end of
          the Director movie that takes you back there.

If you're referring to starting a digital video, just put your video
          somewhere in the same Director file your menu is in, label it with a
          marker, and simply jump to that marker. Like this:

on mouseUp me
          go to frame "Video1"
          end

To get back to your menu at the end of the video do something like this:

on exitFrame me
          if sprite(5).movieRate = 1 then
          go to the frame
          else
          go to frame "Menu"
          end if
          end

Hope that helps.
          • 2. Re: I'm a newbie and need some basic help...
            Level 7
            > I have 3 main buttons. When you click one of the main buttons, 3 sub buttons
            > pop up next to the button pressed. When one of those sub buttons is pressed, a
            > box pops up to the right of the sub buttons and has a list inside containing
            > links to movies. When one of the links is pressed i want the movie to take the
            > place of the links in the box. When the movie is done playing it will
            > disappear and show the links again.

When you say "movie" do you mean video, or another Director movie?
            How are you going to generate the list of movie/video names? Is it
            pre-defined, or do you need to create it on-the-fly?
            • 3. Re: I'm a newbie and need some basic help...
              Level 7
              I had a quick look and added some ideas around the first section. It
              might serve to get you started.
              < http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/snw/template.zip> ~95kB
              • 4. Re: I'm a newbie and need some basic help...
                MikeTheVike24 Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                I haven't looked at your Director file, but what you want to do sounds
                pretty simple. First of all, though, can you clarify what you mean by
                "movie," because Director's terminology makes it kind of confusing. Are
                you speaking of a Director movie, or digital video?

If you want to jump to a different Director movie, simply do something
                like this:

on mouseUp me
                go to frame "StartMovie" of movie "Option1"
                end

To get back to your menu, just use an exitFrame command at the end of
                the Director movie that takes you back there.

If you're referring to starting a digital video, just put your video
                somewhere in the same Director file your menu is in, label it with a
                marker, and simply jump to that marker. Like this:

on mouseUp me
                go to frame "Video1"
                end

To get back to your menu at the end of the video do something like this:

on exitFrame me
                if sprite(5).movieRate = 1 then
                go to the frame
                else
                go to frame "Menu"
                end if
                end

Hope that helps.

Sorry, I should have clarified...When you click on a sub category button, a Quicktime video will play, not a Director "movie"...Thanks for the help! using the method you described, that would make the menu disappear when the video is played, and reload the menu when the movie is done, right? I want the menu to stay visible while the movie is playing...

• 5. Re: I'm a newbie and need some basic help...
                  MikeTheVike24 Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                  I had a quick look and added some ideas around the first section. It
                  might serve to get you started.
                  < http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/snw/template.zip> ~95kB

The movie list will be predefined. I see what you did with my movie, I'll have to look most of the code up though, haha. is the way I have the movie set up so far "correct" or the most "efficient"? I'm afraid I'm going to teach myself things that work, but aren't necessarily the correct way to do them.

and just a sidenote, the graphics in the movie are just temporary while I get this figured out. Don't want anyone to thing thats the best I can do :)

Thanks for your help!

• 7. Re: I'm a newbie and need some basic help...
                    Level 7

> Sorry, I should have clarified...When you click on a sub category button, a
                    > Quicktime video will play, not a Director "movie"...Thanks for the help! using
                    > the method you described, that would make the menu disappear when the video is
                    > played, and reload the menu when the movie is done, right? I want the menu to
                    > stay visible while the movie is playing...
                    >
                    >
                    >

Just continue the menu sprites so that they're also on the screen with
                    the video.
                    • 8. Re: I'm a newbie and need some basic help...
                      Level 7
                      > The movie list will be predefined. I see what you did with my movie, I'll
                      > have to look most of the code up though, haha. is the way I have the movie set
                      > up so far "correct" or the most "efficient"? I'm afraid I'm going to teach
                      > myself things that work, but aren't necessarily the correct way to do them.

There's nothing wrong with the way you have your movie set up, though
                      you could re-use some of your behaviors or add an interface
                      (getPropertyDescriptionList) so that they are more re-useable.
                      If you have the names of various QT members, try altering the text in
                      the "links" members and see if it works for you