7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2006 3:28 PM by auctioneer

awful text???

auctioneer Level 1
      Hi

I'm using FW8 and for some reason no matter what I try, the text in my banner is simply awful. I can't remember if I was having the same problem in my earlier version on FW, but with FW8, I can't get it right. No matter what I try 'no anti-alias', smooth, crisp the text looks like hell.

I've uploaded the banner I'm working on http://www.auctionontario.ca/images/coinclub_banner.jpg please take a look and make some suggestions on where I'm going wrong and suggestions on how to correct this.

Thank you
      Bob B--
        • 1. Re: awful text???
          Level 7
          Bob,

Check your Optimize panel and crank up the Quality a bit.

Alex

auctioneer wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > I'm using FW8 and for some reason no matter what I try, the text in my banner
          > is simply awful. I can't remember if I was having the same problem in my
          > earlier version on FW, but with FW8, I can't get it right. No matter what I
          > try 'no anti-alias', smooth, crisp the text looks like hell.
          >
          > I've uploaded the banner I'm working on
          > http://www.auctionontario.ca/images/coinclub_banner.jpg please take a look and
          > make some suggestions on where I'm going wrong and suggestions on how to
          > correct this.
          >
          > Thank you
          > Bob B--
          >
          • 2. Re: awful text???
            senocular Level 1
            You can also use selective JPG quality to improve quality of the compression only around the text
            • 3. Re: awful text???
              auctioneer Level 1
              Thanks

The optimization was set at 38--I bumped it up to 100 and the improvement was incredible. I just need to check what effect this has on file size and may nede to drop this setting slightly to balance file size and quality.

Thanks again
              Bob B--

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              Bob,

Check your Optimize panel and crank up the Quality a bit.

Alex

auctioneer wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > I'm using FW8 and for some reason no matter what I try, the text in my banner
              > is simply awful. I can't remember if I was having the same problem in my
              > earlier version on FW, but with FW8, I can't get it right. No matter what I
              > try 'no anti-alias', smooth, crisp the text looks like hell.
              >
              > I've uploaded the banner I'm working on
              > http://www.auctionontario.ca/images/coinclub_banner.jpg please take a look and
              > make some suggestions on where I'm going wrong and suggestions on how to
              > correct this.
              >
              > Thank you
              > Bob B--
              >

• 4. Re: awful text???
                auctioneer Level 1
                How does one attempt this--I've never heard of this process, however it interests me.

Thanks
                Bob B--

quote:

Originally posted by: senocular
                You can also use selective JPG quality to improve quality of the compression only around the text

• 5. Re: awful text???
                  Level 7
                  Yes, that was a very good suggestion by Senocular. How often I forget
                  about it ...

Look in your Optimize panel and click on the edit icon to the right of
                  Selective Quality. Once in there you can see some options. Make sure the
                  Enable selective quality check box is checked and pick a value.
                  Preserve text quality should be checked if it is not.

Basically the way this works is - you make a selection on your image
                  with any of the Marquee tools or the Lasso tools and go to Modify >
                  Selective JPEG > Save Selection as JPEG mask. Now that area will take on
                  the quality one sets in the Settings window. The rest of the image will
                  be saved with the quality setting in the Optimize > Quality field.

So the same image can be exported with several quality settings.

alex

auctioneer wrote:
                  > How does one attempt this--I've never heard of this process, however it
                  > interests me.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Bob B--
                  >
                  >
                  quote:

Originally posted by: senocular
                  > You can also use selective JPG quality to improve quality of the compression
                  > only around the text

>
                  >
                  >
                  • 6. Re: awful text???
                    Level 7
                    auctioneer wrote:
                    > How does one attempt this--I've never heard of this process, however it
                    > interests me.

You could also slice it and export the section with the jar of coins in
                    JPEG format, and the section with the text in GIF format.

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    • 7. Re: awful text???
                      auctioneer Level 1
                      Thanks for all the excellent advice and suggestions--I sincerely believe the largest obstacle casual users face --is where to go for help The optimization panel proved to be the solution, however taking this issue one step further the suggestion of slicing the image and saving in two seperate formats was difficult to wrap my mind around. With a little experimenting I can now better understand the advantages of this princle/practice resulting in less download times (smaller files) and superior optimization of my images.

Thanks again for the help.

Sincerely
                      Bob B--