6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2006 10:31 AM by Rochelle28

Copy of Help Project

Rochelle28
      I made a copy of my project and my map file still has an ext. of .h. Since I made a copy of it, shouldn't the file ext. be .hh now? I'm very confused.
        • 1. Re: Copy of Help Project
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi rreavis. If you did a copy then that's just what it does. It won't rename files or have I misunderstood your question?
          • 2. Re: Copy of Help Project
            Rochelle28 Level 1
            Well I thought that the copy of the project would have different file extensions than the original project for the TOC, Index, Map file, etc. Am I mistaken? I was going off of the "Firing up the Copier" directions listed below.

"Notice that earlier versions allowed you to rename the TOC and Index file names separately. This may seem like you are losing a bit of control, but it is actually a good thing and prevents us from aiming the gun at our feet. Typically we want the three file names to be identical. The file extensions keep them nicely segregated".
            Text Text
            • 3. Re: Copy of Help Project
              RoboColum(n) Level 5
              What version of RH are you using? There is no copy facility in RHX5 for sure. Also the help text you quote sounds awfully informal and not the sort of professional help I'd expect from RH . When I was referring to the copy in my earlier post I was referring to copying files in Windows Explorer which is the normal way to copy/duplicate RH projects.
              • 4. Re: Copy of Help Project
                Rochelle28 Level 1
                I'm using version X5. I was just concerned that the map file ext. should have been changed to .hh. If it is not a big deal that it is still .h in my copied project, then never mind; I must be confused. I just thought that in the copied project, the map file ext. should be .hh and that the TOC file ext. should be .hhc, and that the Index ext. would be .hhk.
                • 5. Re: Copy of Help Project
                  Level 2
                  Hi rreavis,

Both extensions are used but it has nothing to do with being a copy. .hh is the extension Microsoft designates for context sensitive help map files, while .h is a generic header extension. A header is simply a list of numeric definitions. Either extension can be used. I thought RoboHelp always generated .hh, while some developer tools used .h, but I could be wrong about that.

John
                  • 6. Re: Copy of Help Project
                    Rochelle28 Level 1
                    Oh I see. That makes it clearer to me now. Thanks for your help.