6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2006 1:14 PM by Newsgroup_User

Rotating a symbol

Sabbathacker
      1 symbol with 2 layers, 100 frames.There is a radio graphic on layer 1. Layer 2 is the volume knob. I'm using this as a preloader. As the main swf loads, the volume knob turns. Heres the problem: If I use the built in funtion for rotating, it rotates a full 360 degrees. I can't use that. The "0" volume position is about 7o'clock on the dial and "10" volume position is about 5 o'clock on the dial. If there were a way to make it rotate only 340 degree, that would be perfect! If I try and do it manually, its all blocky and spins like crap. Its a nice high quality .psd from photoshop, so that shouldn't be the problem. I've also tried manully adjusting the last key frame once I used the rotate funtion. That was just a disaster. :)

I'm just not sure what the problem is...

Thanks,
      Sabbath
        • 1. Rotating a symbol
          Flanders_ZA-IgqhAi
          In my experience rotating a bitmap in flash always has the potential for disaster. It always appears to have that mid-edited look like in photoshop when you've rotated something but have yet to apply...no matter the res of the image. (and especially when the rotation is slow and deliberate) I've always found rotating vector graphics to be more agreeable with flash. As far as the problem with it doing340 degrees, I don't know. If you're doing the rotation with tweens, then rotate it 180 degrees to a keyframe, then keyframe the remaining degrees up 'til 340. If you're using it for a preloader then once tweened, select all in tween on timeline, convert to keyframes.

-my 2c.
          • 2. Re: Rotating a symbol
            Level 7
            I agree - 100% - tweening/rotating bitmaps can have adverse results. Ad this to frame 1 of your
            timeline:
            _quality = "BEST";

for the rotation - simply don't use CW or CCW - set it to Auto and rotate manually on both keyframes
            - then the tween does the rest.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
            --> www.mudbubble.com
            --> www.keyframer.com

Flanders_ZA wrote:
            > In my experience rotating a bitmap in flash always has the potential for
            > disaster. It always appears to have that mid-edited look like in photoshop when
            > you've rotated something but have yet to apply...no matter the res of the
            > image. (and especially when the rotation is slow and deliberate) I've always
            > found rotating vector graphics to be more agreeable with flash. As far as the
            > problem with it doing340 degrees, I don't know. If you're doing the rotation
            > with tweens, then rotate it 180 degrees to a keyframe, then keyframe the
            > remaining degrees up 'til 340.
            >
            > -my 2c.
            >
            • 3. Re: Rotating a symbol
              Sabbathacker Level 1
              OK, I'll try the vector approach. So, is a graphic from Photoshop (.psd) considered a bitmap? Also, what affect does it have had I not used keyframes in all the frames? It seems to have worked without doing it. (Just looked really bad)

Thank you!!

Sabbath
              • 4. Re: Rotating a symbol
                Level 7
                Yes - photoshop images are bitmaps - there is a huge difference between raster (bitmap) and vector
                formats - very important to understand this. bitmaps are resolution-dependant while vectors are not
                - you should google around and read up on the technical differences.

i don't understand your 2nd question - what seemed to have worked by doing what exactly? How can you
                *not* use keyframes and find it worked?

--> www.mudbubble.com
                --> www.keyframer.com

Sabbathacker wrote:
                > OK, I'll try the vector approach. So, is a graphic from Photoshop (.psd)
                > considered a bitmap? Also, what affect does it have had I not used keyframes
                > in all the frames? It seems to have worked without doing it. (Just looked
                > really bad)
                >
                > Thank you!!
                >
                > Sabbath
                >
                • 5. Re: Rotating a symbol
                  Sabbathacker Level 1
                  I do understand the basic differences between the two and the benefits of both. I'm not sure why I asked that question the way I did. I was thinking to myself, and it came out in the form of a dumb question. I'm surly not a graphic expert. :) I think my thought was if I could export my graphics in vector form from Photoshop. Even as I say this I know its a dumb question, I'm almost positive it can. :)

As far as the second part goes. I did use key frames at 1 and 100. I thought what was being suggested was that I make all the frames keyframes. THAT is what I was wondering. I didn't know if it made a difference with a preloader having all frames as keys or not.
                  • 6. Re: Rotating a symbol
                    Level 7
                    ahhh - gotcha :)

converting the tween into keyframes will do nothing to performance - when you compile the SWF, it
                    all becomes 1 layer and all keyframes essentially (import an swf back into flash to see what i mean).

--> www.mudbubble.com
                    --> www.keyframer.com

Sabbathacker wrote:
                    > I do understand the basic differences between the two and the benefits of both.
                    > I'm not sure why I asked that question the way I did. I was thinking to
                    > myself, and it came out in the form of a dumb question. I'm surly not a
                    > graphic expert. :) I think my thought was if I could export my graphics in
                    > vector form from Photoshop. Even as I say this I know its a dumb question, I'm
                    > almost positive it can. :)
                    >
                    > As far as the second part goes. I did use key frames at 1 and 100. I thought
                    > what was being suggested was that I make all the frames keyframes. THAT is
                    > what I was wondering. I didn't know if it made a difference with a preloader
                    > having all frames as keys or not.
                    >