2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2006 1:16 AM by jagguy99

scroll and button

jagguy99 Level 1
      q)Is there any function in flash to make the screen scroll with a large background covering 2 screen sizes?

q) when loading movie clips on screen I am using _visible property set to false when making them dissappear, is this the standard way or do you need to unload the bitmap image in the movieclip?
        • 1. Re: scroll and button
          Level 7
          jagguy99 wrote:
          > q)Is there any function in flash to make the screen scroll with a large
          > background covering 2 screen sizes?
          >

You simulate it by changing the _x property of the background image.
          Put the background image into a movieclip and give the instance a name
          like bg_mc. Using an onenterframe of the bg_mc clip or some other
          animation timer move the bg_mc in the direction you want to scroll like
          bg_mc._x -= 10 if you wanted to move the clip 10 pixels at a time for
          example. When the background gets halfway move the bg_mc._x = 0 and
          start again to continue the loop.

> q) when loading movie clips on screen I am using _visible property set to
          > false when making them dissappear, is this the standard way or do you need to
          > unload the bitmap image in the movieclip?
          >

Depends on why you are hiding it. If you no longer need the bitmap use
          unloadMovie to free memory. If you plan on toggling the clip on and off
          use _visible to keep the image in memory. If you are done with the clip
          altogether use removeMovieClip instead to release all properties and
          clip handlers.

James O'Reilly - JOR
          www.jamesor.com
          • 2. Re: scroll and button
            jagguy99 Level 1
            If the background is large can I clip the thing somehow?
            I was talking about having a tiled background to make display and operations on the background easier (for the case of a game etc).

Sounds like flash doesn't provide anything for this so I will have to create like like in directx/c++ manually.