5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2006 10:09 PM by IR-PROGNOSIS

Context sensitive help with .NET

IR-PROGNOSIS Level 1
      I have recently purchased Robohelp Office X5 and now find that I need to create help files with context sensitive help for some .NET applications. It appears that Robohelp Office X5 no longer uses context strings to call the help pages and only uses map id's. From what I gather .NET does not use map id's and only uses context strings.

I presume that I now need Robohelp Office Pro for .NET. Does anyone know if I can simply purchase the Robohelp Office Pro for .NET upgrade, i.e can I upgrade the same version of Robohelp Office X5 to Robohelp Office PRO for .NET?

This all seems very odd as my old HDK product that I am converting from works quite well with .NET.

• 1. Re: Context sensitive help with .NET
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi IR-PROGNOSIS and welcome to our community

Don't waste your money on the .net version unless you require a few extra examples of how to link it up. Otherwise, you will find it really doesn't offer that much more than the plain version.

Unfortunately, I have no clue as to whether .NET uses context IDs, Map IDs, tuxedo IDs or SSID's. So I'm pretty useless in that area. But I've heard from many a folk that spent way too much on the .NET version of RoboHelp to obtain something they could have easily accomplished using the plain vanilla version of WebHelp ouptut.

Cheers.. Rick
          • 2. Re: Context sensitive help with .NET
            IR-PROGNOSIS Level 1
            Thank you for your welcome Rick.

I agree, I do not want to waste money on a product that has features I don't need. However, I do need to be able to create context sensitive help for .NET applications which do not use Map ID's, they use context strings. Therefore before spending any more money I do need confirmation that Robohelp Office Pro for .NET will do what I want. Unfortunately, the Adobe North American Support will not answer my question, they just refer me the Adobe Asia Pacific, and Adobe Asia Pacific do not respond. So far I am not impressed with Robohelp at all.

Regards, Chris
            • 3. Re: Context sensitive help with .NET
              CraigCC Level 2
              Hi Chris,

I can confirm that you can definitely create context senstive help without the .NET Pro version and without using map IDs. It just requires coordination with the developer and the context of the calls will depend on the software used to develope the application. Like Rick, I've seen people spend the extra cash on the .NET pro version and then find that they could have achieve the same goals with the standard version. Valuable advice passed on by Rick. What flavour of help would you like to generate? and what software is used to develope the application that you'd like to hook your help to. You can bet that someone on the forum has had the same challenge and if you are lucky they will pass this information on to you.

Please also post any other specfic issues you are having with the product and I'm sure someone here can help.

Kind Regards
              Craig
              • 4. Re: Context sensitive help with .NET
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional
                There is a topic on my site about calling webhelp to provide context sensitive help. Hope it is of some help to you.

• 5. Context sensitive help with .NET
                  IR-PROGNOSIS Level 1
                  Thanks Guys, I appreciate the assistance.

I will check out your web site Peter and see if this gives me any clues.

I am creating HTML Help (.chm) and the product is built with Visual Studio .NET. The product is already complete and the current HTML Help file built using HDK works fine. What I am trying to do is retire HDK and move to Robohelp but need the context sensitive help using context strings to work with .NET.

Thanks again, Chris