3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2006 5:24 PM by nevereasy

copyright

nevereasy Level 1
      I had this question in the basics forum. sorry for the cross posting, but I've had no repies in there.
      Are there any ideas on this? Maybe my ideas are in the wrong direction.

Hi,
      is there a way of writing some sort of protection into a director movie? the movie is to be downloaded from the web and avialable on a DVD. A number that can be added to a page to that will change the look of a movie. Say something like remove a message from the stage that says "this program has not been paid for yet ... this message will disappear when you get a registration number". And then of course, the number has to be unique to each downloaded movie and DVD... and can't be copied!

Is this too big an ask for such a great programe???

Carmel.
        • 1. Re: copyright
          Minds Eye Level 1
          Hello Nevereasy.

Program registration can be quite a complex issue depending on how secure you want it to be.
          I'm planning to investigate using Protection plus in conjunction with DLLBinder or DLLBinder Pro

I'll let you know how I get on in a few weeks time.

Trevor

The Minds Eye
          • 2. Re: copyright
            Level 7
            > I had this question in the basics forum. sorry for the cross posting, but
            I've
            > had no repies in there.
            > Are there any ideas on this? Maybe my ideas are in the wrong direction.

The only surefire method we've ever come up with is one which requires a
            hardware key. Pretty much anything else can be pretty easily faked by
            anyone determined enough. (I'm sure there are ways around a hardware key as
            well, but it's considerably more difficult, and you have to ask yourself how
            determined people are likely to be to try and hack your software.)
            Unfortunately, the simple truth of all computer programming is that anything
            that can be coded can also be decoded by anyone determined enough to put the
            effort into it. The best you can hope for is to deter the casual user, by
            simply asking for some sort of serial number. You could go to the trouble
            of keeping a database of valid serials and who they've been sold to, and
            force the user to go through some sort of activation process. (This is
            similar to what Adobe and Microsoft have been doing lately.) But this can
            be (and often is) worked around as well. Bottom line is, if somebody wants
            it badly enough, they'll find a way to get it. Hopefully, they'll choose
            the honest path and pay for it, but there's almost no way to guarantee that
            your software will never be pirated if somebody wants it enough.

• 3. Re: copyright
              nevereasy Level 1
              Hi Trevor and Darrel,
              thanks for your replies.
              I did get quite a long reply on the basics forum which is worth reading.
              I agree it is impossible to make totally secure, and at the same time it can't be to inconvenient for legitimate users.

How about a bit of code that sends an email if an unregistered version of a programme is being used. (I don't expect to be getting millions of them!!)

or a key to unlock a large part of the program .. so some of it is free for trialing.

or a key to remove an unwanted image from the stage

I would have to keep track of which customer had which code

look forward to hearing from you Trevor.

Carmel.