3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 12:47 PM by Newsgroup_User

Converting XML to PDF

ooba Level 1
      I know this is the Flex Group, but I'm getting no love from the Flash group.
      1. I need to build a thick client
      2. I have 0 experience with Flex or AIR
      3. I have built alot of Flash web components and a few thick clients
      4. I only have one week to get something working

Can anyone tell me if it is even possible for Flash to generate a PDF file from an imported XML file? or to browse a systems and allow the user to select an xml file to load?

I need to have the client select an xml file that and the thick client would then use a predefined xsl file and (missing this part) need to convert the xml out to a human readable PDF format.

If you have another suggestion on how to do this please post suggestions.

All I know right now is that I need to construct a thick client to do this, and being that Flash has been what I have built thick clients on before I'd like to do it in Flash rather than try and figure out how to do it in C# .Net in less than a week.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Converting XML to PDF
          Level 7

"ooba" <marshale@ctc.com> wrote in message
          news:gl2klg$rap$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I know this is the Flex Group, but I'm getting no love from the Flash
          >group.
          > 1. I need to build a thick client
          > 2. I have 0 experience with Flex or AIR
          > 3. I have built alot of Flash web components and a few thick clients
          > 4. I only have one week to get something working
          >
          > Can anyone tell me if it is even possible for Flash to generate a PDF file
          > from an imported XML file? or to browse a systems and allow the user to
          > select
          > an xml file to load?

You'd need to upload the file to a server and have the server do this.

> I need to have the client select an xml file that and the thick client
          > would
          > then use a predefined xsl file and (missing this part) need to convert the
          > xml
          > out to a human readable PDF format.

Depending on what server-side technology you are using, there are probably
          PDF libraries you could use.

> If you have another suggestion on how to do this please post suggestions.
          >
          > All I know right now is that I need to construct a thick client to do
          > this,
          > and being that Flash has been what I have built thick clients on before
          > I'd
          > like to do it in Flash rather than try and figure out how to do it in C#
          > .Net
          > in less than a week.

You won't be able to do it with Flash or Flex alone.

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Re: Converting XML to PDF
            ooba Level 1
            Most definitely not what i wanted to hear.

There is no server to connect to
            • 3. Re: Converting XML to PDF
              Level 7

"ooba" <marshale@ctc.com> wrote in message
              news:gl2nvk$1u7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Most definitely not what i wanted to hear.
              >
              > There is no server to connect to

You might be able to use AIR and Merapi. There might be a Java pdf library
              that can be used this way.