• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording a demo.....

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2009 Jan 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Captivate and would value some input. I am trying to create some training videos to demo various aspects of our EMR (electronic medical record). When I playback my narration seems to be way ahead of my screen clicks. I just want a live demo to appear as though i am using the EMR in real time - ie no lags. For example when i am typing in my password within the EMR, each character is inserted into the login box very slowly on the video playback. Make sense? I hope you can help as i am getting very frustrated with this functionality. Thank you.
Adrian.

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2009 Jan 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Full Motion Recording mode ... this is the best record mode to get that "real-time" experience but it creates larger files and requires more work to edit.

Later ... Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Charles

I hate to be disagreeable, but I disagree with your mention of " this is the best record mode to get that "real-time" experience but it creates larger files and requires more work to edit.

There are quite a few here that would probably agree with me when I say the only thing the full motion recording mode is "best" at, is being "best avoided". Certainly you are spot on with it requiring more work to edit. The thing is, you really can't edit much of the output. About the only editing you may do is to slice, dice and splice. This really doesn't help if you need to add in a bit of background or possibly remove a bit of background.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never found full-motion recording to be up to my requirements - too
restrictive. Guess it depends on what you ar doing :-)

Steve

--
--
http://twitter.com/Stevehoward999

Adobe Community Expert: eLearning, Mobile and Devices
European eLearning Summit - EeLS
Adobe-sponsored eLearning conference.
http://www.elearningsummit.eu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be honest with you snook13...

I generally use a tool by TechSmith called "SnagIt". I then set up a profile in there to screen capture (where it captures screens at a certain size and x/y coordinates automatically at the press of a button), as I go through the application. Then I insert those graphics as "image slides" within Captivate 4.

Why do I do it this way instead of doing full-motion screencapture? Because I have much greater control of where I want the mouse to appear onstage and how I want the recording to act, and I don't have to worry about not getting the right screen within my .cp file. I know all the screen captures are there within my library.

I also don't have to worry about any "partial" screen captures and whatnot. No garbage in my library. I can simulate movement by how I place the mouse, or combining the bottom 1/2 of screenshot A with the top 1/2 of screenshot B within an image editing tool like Fireworks (which I love), and importing as a new image slide. See what I mean?

It might take a little longer, but trust me, I have a lot less headaches in cleaning up during editing.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
For example when i am typing in my password within the EMR, each character is inserted into the login box very slowly on the video playback.

Makes perfect sense. That is a video capture of your text being entered onscreen. So if it is slotted on the slide timeline to take 4 seconds to type in your password, just shorten the amount of time that that video capture is present on the timeline to say - 1 second. Really easy to do. Same rule of thumb would apply for anything else on your timeline for that slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources