6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2006 9:45 AM by Newsgroup_User

Newbie Help?

Level 7
      Warning: I'm a Flash newbie, so please be prepared for some really stupid
      questions. Be kind and forgiving please!

For my first flash project, I want to have some graphics created with paint
      shop Pro with a transparent background go from point a to point b, varying
      in size from way one by one graphic over a path to a final size graphic
      about 250 x 100.

Can somebody *gently* set me on my way?

Thanks!

Ross

• 1. Re: Newbie Help?
          Level 7
          Well, I figured out how to do the sikmple motion stuff. How do I add sound
          to my movie? Are there canned sounds for me to sample?

Ross

• 2. Re: Newbie Help?
            crazyjoemilan Level 2
            you can import .mp3's to your library just the same as you would images. Then, you can either drag and drop them onto the timeline, or handle them with Action Script. When you select a button, you can easily associate a sound in your library with it by selecting the specific sound in the properties bar.

Does that make sense?
            • 3. Re: Newbie Help?
              Level 7
              Makes sense -- now does Flash have a library of "canned" sounds?

"Mr Helpy mcHelpson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:ec7jm2$s4h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > you can import .mp3's to your library just the same as you would images.
              > Then,
              > you can either drag and drop them onto the timeline, or handle them with
              > Action
              > Script. When you select a button, you can easily associate a sound in
              > your
              > library with it by selecting the specific sound in the properties bar.
              >
              > Does that make sense?
              >

• 4. Re: Newbie Help?
                takennickname
                No, but you can create your own libraries. Let's say you import an mp3 into a flash file (make sure to set the dimentions to 1px x 1px, since there's no visual aspect to a sound, just saves a tink of memory), and save the file as "whateversound.fla" into the Flash install library directory (probably: C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Libraries). After that it will show up in Flash under "Windows/Common Libraries."

Hope that helps in you creating your own custom library of sounds and whatever.

Kalen.
                • 5. Re: Newbie Help?
                  Level 7
                  Yes! That worked very well! Thank you.

I found a SWF file that embeds a sound I want to use. When I bring it up in
                  Flash it immediately starts playing, including the sound I want to "borrow".
                  Is it possible to pull the sound out of an SWF file, and if so, how do you
                  do that? The SWF file in question is one that we own all rights to, but the
                  developer is no longer in our employ and we do not have his notes as to
                  where he got this particular sound (which I happen to like a great deal)

Thanks!

Ross

webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:ec7plp$4u1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > No, but you can create your own libraries. Let's say you import an mp3
                  > into a
                  > flash file (make sure to set the dimentions to 1px x 1px, since there's
                  > no
                  > visual aspect to a sound, just saves a tink of memory), and save the file
                  > as
                  > "whateversound.fla" into the Flash install library directory (probably:
                  > C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Libraries). After
                  > that it
                  > will show up in Flash under "Windows/Common Libraries."
                  >
                  > Hope that helps in you creating your own custom library of sounds and
                  > whatever.
                  >
                  > Kalen.
                  >

• 6. Re: Newbie Help?
                    Level 7
                    OK....I got the sound I want, in .WAV format. Now what?

Ross

"Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
                    news:ec9hhh$1o9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Yes! That worked very well! Thank you.
                    >
                    > I found a SWF file that embeds a sound I want to use. When I bring it up
                    > in Flash it immediately starts playing, including the sound I want to
                    > "borrow". Is it possible to pull the sound out of an SWF file, and if so,
                    > how do you do that? The SWF file in question is one that we own all rights
                    > to, but the developer is no longer in our employ and we do not have his
                    > notes as to where he got this particular sound (which I happen to like a
                    > great deal)
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Ross
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    > news:ec7plp$4u1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> No, but you can create your own libraries. Let's say you import an mp3
                    >> into a
                    >> flash file (make sure to set the dimentions to 1px x 1px, since there's
                    >> no
                    >> visual aspect to a sound, just saves a tink of memory), and save the file
                    >> as
                    >> "whateversound.fla" into the Flash install library directory (probably:
                    >> C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Libraries). After
                    >> that it
                    >> will show up in Flash under "Windows/Common Libraries."
                    >>
                    >> Hope that helps in you creating your own custom library of sounds and
                    >> whatever.
                    >>
                    >> Kalen.
                    >>
                    >
                    >