2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2006 9:35 AM by layerburn

File size for web distribution

layerburn Level 1
      Hey everyone

I have a flash interactive piece that has two movies and lots of pictures, the file size is 12mb! I looked at the movies and i have them down as small as i can get them, probably around 6-7mb total. The movies are animations that our client wanted us to create, they were nearly 30mb a piece before and i got them down to the 7mb combined so i don't believe i can do anything more with the movies. The pictures i brought in and convertedd to graphic symbols because they tween across the stage when a button is clicked, usually only 2-3pictures per button with around 30buttons total. The pictures were supplied as jpegs to us by our client. This project is for the web, how can i get the file size down? Should i handle the pictures a different way? I do have an external preloader that preloads the entire swf before it plays, it's just that downloading will take a while and i wanted to make it as fast as possible. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Heather
        • 1. Re: File size for web distribution
          squipple
          Here are a couple of things you can do to get the best looking photos with the smallest file size.
          - always resize your photos outside of flash (ie in Photoshop) to your desired dimensions and save them with no compression, as opposed to bringing in, say 1024x768 images into flash and then scaling them to 640x480.
          - after importing your photos, you need to work with flash's compression. Instead of applying a blanket compression in your publish settings, set your image's compression individually. So, in the publish settings, set jpeg quality to 100. Then, in your library, right-click on an image, go to properties, uncheck 'use imported jpeg data' and set your compression for that image. This yields almost half the file size of just using a blanket compression, and also gives you the option of compressing some images more than others. Takes a little more testing, but some images can be compressed at 40 and still look pretty good, while others start to look bad after going below 80.

Try those two things if you haven't already, and you'll see a signifcant difference in filesize.

The other option is to load your images dynamically. Then you can use outside compression for your images (ie ImageReady). Takes a bit more coding knowledge, and also brings up the old question: Do you want your loading wait all at once in the beginning, or at small intervals inbetween? Something that has to be considered per project depending on how your content is displayed..
          • 2. Re: File size for web distribution
            layerburn Level 1
            thanks! i'll give that a try.