6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2006 5:11 AM by Newsgroup_User

Fireworks Plug-In's

YT2S
      Does anyone know if there are Photoshop plug-in's available for Fireworks 8 that will allow me to manipulate images similar to Photoshop yet be able to just stay with the software I love.....Fireworks 8? If you do, please, where might I find them?
      Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Fireworks Plug-In's
          Level 7
          YT2S wrote:
          > Does anyone know if there are Photoshop plug-in's available for Fireworks 8
          > that will alow me manipute images similar to Photoshop yet be able to just stay
          > with the software I love.....Fireworks 8? If you do, please, where might I
          > find them?

Can you be more specific about what you want the plugins to do?

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Fireworks Plug-In's
            YT2S Level 1
            Recently I have had to work with images in a .psd file format. I can't see certain things in Fireworks, so I thought the file was incomplete, until I opened them on a buddy's computer in Photoshop. Imagine my surprise. I had no idea that even though Fireworks opens and converts Photoshop Documents, that its conversion of those effects are incomplete, discarding certain photoshop features. My buddy suggested I buy & use Photoshop for all of my image work; but, I like Fireworks bigtime, especially because of the Roundtrip Editing between Flash and Dreamweaver. So....

I would like to be able to open .psd files in Fireworks and be able to see and manipulate certain Photoshop features like Satin, Pattern Overlays, Gradient Overlays, and Stroke Layer Effects, Photoshop's Drop Shadow (since there are apparently controls in Photoshop Drop Shadow that don't work in Fireworks), and also Photoshop Layers that have both Layer Masks and Clipping Paths, as well as Adjustment Layers.

That's the basic list. I searched for Fireworks compatible Photoshop Plugins and recieved a great return; however, 1)-I don't know which ones to trust, 2)-I have no experience in this area and need to rely on those of you in the Fireworks Community who have experience in these areas.

Additionally, For you Fireworks Experts out there, Do you think that I'd get what I'm looking for in these plugins or do you think I'd spend the $? on them and then just have to turn around and spend the additional $on Photoshop? I am truly at an impass here. I don't mind spending the money if necessary to get the job done; but, I have little desire to take the time necessary to learn a whole new & rather big software right now. I'd much rather just use Fireworks.

I certainly am grateful for any and all advice on the matter.
            Thank you,
            YT2S
            • 4. Re: Fireworks Plug-In's
              Level 7
              On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 23:05:50 +0400, YT2S <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
              wrote:

>
              > I would like to be able to open .psd files in Fireworks and be able to
              > see and
              > manipulate certain Photoshop features like Satin, Pattern Overlays,
              > Gradient
              > Overlays, and Stroke Layer Effects, Photoshop's Drop Shadow (since there
              > are
              > apparently controls in Photoshop Drop Shadow that don't work in
              > Fireworks), and
              > also Photoshop Layers that have both Layer Masks and Clipping Paths, as
              > well as
              > Adjustment Layers.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid some of the features you mentioned, like
              adjustment layers, cannot be done with plugins at all. Plugins have to
              obey some limitations to be compatible with different hosts, so, as a
              result, they can't change the way the host is operating. Some other
              features can be simulated with plugins, but it doesn't mean that once you
              open your PSD file with FW, necessary plugins will be automatically
              assigned to simulate missing PS effects.

All in all, I'd rather suggest learning the tricks allowing to do as many
              things as possible the FW way, rather then trying to simulate PS way.
              Well, IMHO bitmap editing features of FW are very basic, that's why I'm
              using my old inexpensive copy of JASC PaintSHop Pro along with FW. PSP is
              great about bitmaps, but it's vector part sucks, and it's web page design
              capabilities are not even close to that of FW. So I normally adjust photos
              with PSP, and then import them into FW for general vector-based design and
              web-related purposes.

--
              Ilya Razmanov
              http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
              • 5. Re: Fireworks Plug-In's
                YT2S Level 1
                So, if I am working with an existing PSD file, can PSP see all of the aforementioned PSD layers & effects? I checked a PSD file in GIMP (propably a bad word here, sorry..), but it saw only about the same layers that FW sees.

Anyway, thank you all for the advice, knowledge, links and directions. I will continue to monitor this topic.
                Thank you,
                YT2S
                • 6. Re: Fireworks Plug-In's
                  Level 7
                  On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 04:03:59 +0400, YT2S <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
                  wrote:

> So, if I am working with an existing PSD file, can PSP see all of the
                  > aforementioned PSD layers & effects?

I'm afraid not. PSP is much closer to PS than FW, but still the features
                  list is not the same, so some things may be missing.

I'm afraid you should try to figure out some compatibility requirements
                  for images exchange, like rendering some effects to bitmaps and so on. And
                  if you need to exchange files on a very regular basis (for example, if
                  your everyday job is based on it), probably the best solution would be
                  using the same software at both ends.

--
                  Ilya Razmanov
                  http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters