4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2006 4:54 PM by Newsgroup_User

Dump running movie to an avi or bmps?

cratica Level 1
      Hello all,

I want to create a trailer for my game. I would like to run the game and have some of the action dumped straight into an avi or sequence of bmps (tgas, jpgs, doesn't matter). Is there a way to do this? Basically a screen grab 30 time per second for a few seconds at a time.

Thanks!!!!
        • 1. Re: Dump running movie to an avi or bmps?
          cratica Level 1
          btw, I am aware of the export function in Director. This only works however, if your content is time based in the score. The meat of the game all happens inside a script which is on a single frame. Therefore if I export using the built in utility, it will only export 1 frame. I need to be able to run the game (looping constantly in one frame in the score) while exporting for either a set period of time or until I hit escape.

Anyone know how to frame grab a running Director movie in a single frame in the score?
          • 2. Re: Dump running movie to an avi or bmps?
            Level 7
            Here's an idea:

There's an extra that will export jpgs:
            http://www.sharp-software.com/products/
            see the docs on how to use it to save out the file

do this each time through your loop:

set up a dummy graphic member,
            save the stage image to the dummy member each time through the loop,
            member("dummy").picture = the stage.picture
            counter = counter + 1
            save the image out to a file with above xtra, and increment the file
            name_counter.jpg each time

cross your fingers it goes fast enough

TR

"cratica" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ec5gim$jb3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > btw, I am aware of the export function in Director. This only works
            > however,
            > if your content is time based in the score. The meat of the game all
            > happens
            > inside a script which is on a single frame. Therefore if I export using
            > the
            > built in utility, it will only export 1 frame. I need to be able to run
            > the
            > game (looping constantly in one frame in the score) while exporting for
            > either
            > a set period of time or until I hit escape.
            >
            > Anyone know how to frame grab a running Director movie in a single frame
            > in
            > the score?
            >

• 3. Re: Dump running movie to an avi or bmps?
              Level 7
              There is almost no chance for that approach to work at 30 frames per
              second. You will probable have a much better chance of a good final
              output if you use a dedicated screen recorder program (There are loads
              of them- check out www.download.com or www.tucows.com for a few. Some
              may be free or inexpensive).

If you do decide to try this method, though, I would recommend a slight
              alteration. Instead of trying to get the screen captured, translated to
              an image, and saved to a file on each step, just do the 1st two, and
              save out the files after that is complete. i.e.,

In each iteration,

set up a dummy graphic member,
              save the stage image to the dummy member each time through the loop,
              member("dummy").picture = the stage.picture
              counter = counter + 1

---
              Then, after you have all of your screens captured, save out the
              individual files
              ---

save the image out to a file with above xtra, and increment the file
              name_counter.jpg each time
              • 4. Re: Dump running movie to an avi or bmps?
                Level 7
                Also, it might work faster by saving the grabs to a blank cast lib, then run
                a handler that saves them out to the files. I believe it said it only
                captured a few seconds at a time, so this might go faster at run time, then
                it can take it's time writing out files. This might improve it from almost
                no chance to a glimer of hope. :)

TR

"Mike Blaustein" <mblaustein@gmail.com> wrote in message
                news:ec7c0o$k5t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > There is almost no chance for that approach to work at 30 frames per
                > second. You will probable have a much better chance of a good final output
                > if you use a dedicated screen recorder program (There are loads of them-
                > check out www.download.com or www.tucows.com for a few. Some may be free
                > or inexpensive).
                >
                > If you do decide to try this method, though, I would recommend a slight
                > alteration. Instead of trying to get the screen captured, translated to
                > an image, and saved to a file on each step, just do the 1st two, and save
                > out the files after that is complete. i.e.,
                >