4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2006 7:13 AM by Newsgroup_User

spritesheet

jagguy99 Level 1
      I have a spritesheet in .gif,.png ,.tga or any formats. I load the sprtesheet into a library from a new symbol. From the library I place the symbol onto the the screen no problem. I then right click and select break apart and the spritesheet turns black dotted except for the actual sprites which still look easy to see.
      Then I still can't separate the individual sprites by dragging them as the whole sheet still drags together?
        • 1. Re: spritesheet
          Level 7
          Flash isn't a bitmap editor. It is vector based. you could use the lasso tool and erasor tool to
          remove the areas you dont want after breaking apart - but flash will still reference the entire
          bitmap in the Library. Best practice is to use a graphics editor like photoshop and separate them
          with a transparent background and import individually as PNG files. that way you can adjust the
          amount of JPG compression when exporting from flash.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

jagguy99 wrote:
          > I have a spritesheet in .gif,.png ,.tga or any formats. I load the sprtesheet
          > into a library from a new symbol. From the library I place the symbol onto the
          > the screen no problem. I then right click and select break apart and the
          > spritesheet turns black dotted except for the actual sprites which still look
          > easy to see.
          > Then I still can't separate the individual sprites by dragging them as the
          > whole sheet still drags together?
          >
          • 2. Re: spritesheet
            jagguy99 Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            Flash isn't a bitmap editor. It is vector based. you could use the lasso tool and erasor tool to
            remove the areas you dont want after breaking apart - but flash will still reference the entire
            bitmap in the Library. Best practice is to use a graphics editor like photoshop and separate them
            with a transparent background and import individually as PNG files. that way you can adjust the
            amount of JPG compression when exporting from flash.

--> www.mudbubble.com
            --> www.keyframer.com

jagguy99 wrote:
            > I have a spritesheet in .gif,.png ,.tga or any formats. I load the sprtesheet
            > into a library from a new symbol. From the library I place the symbol onto the
            > the screen no problem. I then right click and select break apart and the
            > spritesheet turns black dotted except for the actual sprites which still look
            > easy to see.
            > Then I still can't separate the individual sprites by dragging them as the
            > whole sheet still drags together?
            >

I thought that jpg's were not good to use as the other files, due to resizing of the sprites leads to poor display. png and gif were the files of choice for that reason. jpg compression could make sprites a little messy , wouldn't it?
            • 3. Re: spritesheet
              Level 7
              Any bitmap in flash will not scale well - they are pixel-dependant so anything other than 100% width
              and height and no rotation will result in degradation of quality.
              Flash uses JPG compression - and since it is never good to compress twice, avoid importing as JPG.
              If you use PNGs then you have more options.

--> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com

jagguy99 wrote:
              >
              quote:

> Flash isn't a bitmap editor. It is vector based. you could use the lasso tool
              > and erasor tool to
              > remove the areas you dont want after breaking apart - but flash will still
              > reference the entire
              > bitmap in the Library. Best practice is to use a graphics editor like
              > photoshop and separate them
              > with a transparent background and import individually as PNG files. that way
              > you can adjust the
              > amount of JPG compression when exporting from flash.
              >
              > ******************************************
              > --> **Adobe Certified Expert**
              > --> www.mudbubble.com
              > --> www.keyframer.com
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > jagguy99 wrote:
              > > I have a spritesheet in .gif,.png ,.tga or any formats. I load the
              > sprtesheet
              > > into a library from a new symbol. From the library I place the symbol onto
              > the
              > > the screen no problem. I then right click and select break apart and the
              > > spritesheet turns black dotted except for the actual sprites which still
              > look
              > > easy to see.
              > > Then I still can't separate the individual sprites by dragging them as the
              > > whole sheet still drags together?
              > >
              >

>
              > I thought that jpg's were not good to use as the other files, due to resizing
              > of the sprites leads to poor display. png and gif were the files of choice for
              > that reason. jpg compression could make sprites a little messy , wouldn't it?
              >
              >
              • 4. Re: spritesheet
                Level 7
                I should add, i have a few projects that involve imported PNGS at 300 dpi and I am able to scale and
                rotate with good results - there is no visible degradation of quality when compared to 72dpi images.
                I would never do this for the web though - these are flash to video projects.

--> www.mudbubble.com
                --> www.keyframer.com

jagguy99 wrote:
                >
                quote:

> Flash isn't a bitmap editor. It is vector based. you could use the lasso tool
                > and erasor tool to
                > remove the areas you dont want after breaking apart - but flash will still
                > reference the entire
                > bitmap in the Library. Best practice is to use a graphics editor like
                > photoshop and separate them
                > with a transparent background and import individually as PNG files. that way
                > you can adjust the
                > amount of JPG compression when exporting from flash.
                >
                > ******************************************
                > --> **Adobe Certified Expert**
                > --> www.mudbubble.com
                > --> www.keyframer.com
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > jagguy99 wrote:
                > > I have a spritesheet in .gif,.png ,.tga or any formats. I load the
                > sprtesheet
                > > into a library from a new symbol. From the library I place the symbol onto
                > the
                > > the screen no problem. I then right click and select break apart and the
                > > spritesheet turns black dotted except for the actual sprites which still
                > look
                > > easy to see.
                > > Then I still can't separate the individual sprites by dragging them as the
                > > whole sheet still drags together?
                > >
                >

>
                > I thought that jpg's were not good to use as the other files, due to resizing
                > of the sprites leads to poor display. png and gif were the files of choice for
                > that reason. jpg compression could make sprites a little messy , wouldn't it?
                >
                >