3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2006 2:27 PM by kglad

Load Multiple movies into single container

Mister Peanut Level 1
      I am completely frustrated with trying to figure out how to click on a button in a menu of many buttons and have a movie pop up into a container that is a specific size and in a specific position on the screen. Is there a masking option that can be used to only allow viwing in a specific-sized frame? I can get the movies to play when pressing on each button, but controlling where it is positioned on screen, and how large is my problem...

...must be easy, but I'm stuck. I am trying to learn Actionscript, but am horrible at it. Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Load Multiple movies into single container
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          you can control the location (_x and _y properties) of your loaded swf by specifying the location of the target movieclip before, after or during the load process of your swf.

you can control the size (_width and _height) of the loaded swf by adjusting the target swf's size only after loading is complete. you can control the _xscale and _yscale and masking of the swf by specifying those things for the target movieclip at any time.
          • 2. Re: Load Multiple movies into single container
            Mister Peanut Level 1
            Okay, good. Maybe just some advice, then. I am creating a web page that has a movie clip menu bar. When the user click on an image in the bar, the movie clip will pop up into a specific-sized frame, in a specific location on the page. Clicking on another menu item will replace the first movie clip in the same location. Would it be best for me to use a mask, or _x,_y, _width, _height properties to do this. I'm not quite sure which would be the best method for doing what I want to do (there always seems to be a hundred ways of doing things, and I use about 30 at a time).

Thanks for you help, I now have a direction I can go in. REALLY appreciate it.

• 3. Re: Load Multiple movies into single container
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              your decision should be based on the effect you want. if you use a mask, the loaded swf will be clipped to fit the mask. that is, it won't be resized.

if your swf is 1000 x 1000 pixels and your mask is 100 x 100 the effect will probably be unsatisfactory. you'll be viewing a 100 x 100 piece of your 1000 x 1000 swf. in this situation you'll probably want to resize your swf.

on the other hand if you have several swfs to load and they all are between 440 pixels wide and 460 pixels wide and a similarly _height range, using one mask may work better because it's easier to program and the effect would be acceptable with all your swfs.