7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2006 10:52 PM by cricketthemovie

Rollover Zoom Effect?

cricketthemovie
      So, when the mouse rolls over a button, I want the button to zoom, or "bounce'. I'm using this cool custom easing tool which works great, but I just can't seem to figure out how to apply the effect to a rollover...

Here's a link to a sample of what I want to do:

http://laco.wz.cz/tween/?page=examples

The actual example is listed as "rollover zooming icons". When I download the .fla file to the right of the example, and open the flash file, I find only a blank stage and a single blank keyframe... I see the code in the actionscript window, but it doesn't really mean anything to me since I'm essentially a novice. I'm looking for a way to create this rollover easing effect using keyframes so I can "see" it on the stage, vs. using straight written code... is it possible?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Sarah.
        • 1. Re: Rollover Zoom Effect?
          derobinson Level 1
          Sure, you can do what you ask. The Movieclip Tweening Prototypes you're using from L are code-based though, so you won't find the answer there. (but they are really useful things and will allow you to type a little code to do a lot of things!)

If you're really looking to avoid the code and work in a timeline though, create yourself a new Button Symbol. create the graphic for the Up frame. Copy it. Create a new Movieclip symbol. Paste the Up Button graphic into the first frame of the new MC symbol. Use the timeline to animate the button (zoom, etc). You should end the animation with the same graphic as that in frame 1. Go back to your button symbol and insert the MC into the Over frame of the button. Return to your main timline. Drag an instance of your Button to the stage and test your movie.

There's more you can do to make your button more nicer (Down state, etc). And when you roll off the button, the animation will abruptly end as the button returns to the Up state. But hoipefully, you'll start to get the idea of how it works.

Search the Help files on animated button for more.

Good luck!
          • 2. Re: Rollover Zoom Effect?
            Nickels55 Level 2
            You could do the zoom part with no problem, but making the other buttons shift would be fairly impossible without using actionscript. The weird thing is that I downloaded and checked out that file. It is looking for an included actionscript file to do all the work, but it is missing.

#include "lmc_tween_as1.as"

So, basically all the fla file does is create all the buttons from one master button, puts dynamic text on each new button, then lays them out on the page.

• 3. Re: Rollover Zoom Effect?
              cricketthemovie Level 1
              Thanks so much both of you -- I'll give this a try and work on it more! Fingers crossed!

Sarah
              • 4. Re: Rollover Zoom Effect?
                cricketthemovie Level 1
                Well - I tried the steps derobinson suggested and I don't know what's wrong with me, but I don't know how to get into the timeline from the button state in order to animate the button?? I'm going over all my manuals ("Flash MX 2004 Bible" and "Teach Yourself Macromedia Flash") and all the help menus -- and I'm finding absolutely NO information. Sure, I can alter the Up state and the Down state and the Over state -- and play back a rollover effect of a bigger button or a tinted button or a button with sound and it works, but only SINGLE FRAME changes. How do I build in the animation of that zoom effect into an OVER or DOWN state?

Thanks for your continued guidance.

Sarah.
                • 5. Re: Rollover Zoom Effect?
                  Nickels55 Level 2
                  I explain one technique here:
                  http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=15&catid=194&threadid =1182034

You can also put a movieclip on the stage in the over frame (thus having an animation on one frame), but it will stop immediately on rollout which is why I use the more advanced technique described in the link above.
                  • 6. Re: Rollover Zoom Effect?
                    derobinson Level 1
                    FYI: the "lmc_tween_as1.as" file should be installed with the Movieclip Tweening Prototypes extension on which the example Sarah was originally using is based.

Nickelsis right on the money on needing the more advanced technique. I seem to remember a good chapter on movieclips as buttons in the Friends of Ed book "Flash MX Essentials." Its out of print now, so you could probably pick it up cheap used....maybe check the Friends of Ed site and see if there are any sample files too.

Let us know how it goes!
                    • 7. Re: Rollover Zoom Effect?
                      cricketthemovie Level 1
                      Thanks for the book suggestion - turns out I'm a bit of a manual geek, I guess. I have a whole library of them! I finally found a chapter in my "Flash Bible" that deals with movieclips in buttons (wow! so many steps!!!), but I fear I'll never be able to master the button shift since the code stuff completely eludes me (for example: I have no idea where the #include "lmc_tween_as1.as" is supposed to go). But that's okay, I'll still try to create something cool. I'm learning more every day! So thank you. : )

Sarah.