5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2006 10:09 AM by ntsiii

Memory Leak?

cqueener@eggs Level 1
      Hi,
      I've noticed that the flex builder takes up a huge amount of memory, and the longer I work with it the more mem it grabs. My machine has a gig of ram which usually is enough for all the Java/ColdFusion stuff that I do in Eclipse, but when doing Flex stuff my machine starts getting slower, and slower, and slower, until I have to restart eclipse. The flex builder seems to take about 100 MB of RAM when it starts, and after about 2 or 3 hours of working it's up to about 450 MB of RAM and climbing fast. And once it's reached that mark working with the FlexBuilder is no fun, everytime I save a file I can go get a cup of coffee, the problem is that I don't like to drink that much coffee ;) Is this a bug in flex builder? Is there anything there can be done against it, or am I just gonna have to restart eclipse every couple of hours to free the ram?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Memory Leak?
          inlineblue Level 1
          I seldom have problems with Flex Builder. One thing that might make a difference is turning off automatic compile (as I do). If there is indeed a memory leak in the compiler, having it compile on every save is gonna blow things up greatly.
          • 2. Re: Memory Leak?
            WEBPHP Level 1
            This has been happening to me as well. I don't mind restarting it every once in a while, but I have noticed my computer becoming a bit slower. I'm on a 1G of ram, and 400mb+ is used by Flex Builded. I have automatic complier turned off and only complie after major changes, so I don't think that could be the problem.

Any help for us?
            • 3. Re: Memory Leak?
              cqueener@eggs Level 1
              Hi,
              I've tried your suggestion and turned off the AutoCompile. It does speed things up, but of course the compiling still takes forever, the RAM is still at 400+MB and I would much rather have auto compile activated so that compile time errors are displayed as soon as I save the app and not when I run it, as it is with Java Apps in Eclipse. For now I can live with this workaround, but I think it is something that could be checked into and perhaps be improved.... Thanks a lot though for the tip!
              • 4. Re: Memory Leak?
                CoolCountDracula Level 1
                same here guys

are u using the flex builder or plugin for eclipse

me using flex builder.

looking at task bar i have never seen the mem usage drop for javaw even if u close down everything in it.

flex isnt as polised a product as i was hoping it wud be.

adobe doesnt seem to care either as there is no way u can post bugs without a paid subcription
                • 5. Re: Memory Leak?
                  ntsiii Level 3
                  "...there is no way u can post bugs without a paid subcription "

Not true:
                  http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/

Tracy