3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2006 7:34 PM by Newsgroup_User

Stop and Play sound

spacetony Level 1
      Hi all

I need to be able to stop and play a flash slide show with an mp3 voice over. The stop button works fine, but once I push play, only the slide show continues. I need to keep the voice and images synchronized.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Stop and Play sound
          Level 7
          spacetony,

> I need to be able to stop and play a flash slide show
          > with an mp3 voice over. The stop button works fine,
          > but once I push play, only the slide show continues.

Are you including this sound programmatically, or did you drag-and-drop
          it to the timeline?

> I need to keep the voice and images synchronized.

It sounds like your stop button stops the timeline itself. Since you're
          posting to the ActionScript forum, I'm guessing you want an ActionScript
          solution, but maybe not, so I'll suggest two ways. :)

1) My guess is that you dragged-and-dropped the audio to the timeline.
          When you did, you set the Sync option in the Property inspector to Event.
          When audio is in this Sync mode, it gets loaded into memory as a whole when
          its frame is entered. If you stop the timeline, the audio continues until
          its done. If you resume the timeline after the audio's first frame, the
          audio will not resume.

If this is what you're doing, make sure to set the audio's Sync mode to
          Stream. If you don't, your audio is likely not to synchronize anyway,
          because of differences in people's processor speeds, amount of memory, and
          so on. If you set Sync mode to Stream, your audio will actually be
          synchronized and will resume when the timeline does.

2) Forego the timeline altogether and use the Sound class to instantiate
          a sound object, which you can control with ActionScript.

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Stop and Play sound
            spacetony Level 1
            The first solution fixed the problem for me. Thank you.

The second solution sounds like something I would like to look into more. Any recommended places to learn about sound objects?

• 3. Re: Stop and Play sound
              Level 7
              spacetony,

> The first solution fixed the problem for me. Thank you.

No problem. Glad to help. :)

> The second solution sounds like something I would like
              > to look into more. Any recommended places to learn
              > about sound objects?

I recommend you study -- and get to where you understand -- objects in
              general, because they're pretty much all work the same way. It's a head
              rush when you understand that the movie clips you're dealing with are
              actually objects. That the buttons and text fields are objects. That
              sounds are objects.

Objects generally have characteristics (properties), things they can do
              (methods), and/or things they can react to (events). One or more of these
              categories is described for every object by something call its class. A
              class is the blueprint for a given object, and it spells out everything you
              need to know. It so happens that the ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference is
              closely structured about classes (the MovieClip class, the TextField class,
              Sound class, and so on).

Start here ...

http://www.quip.net/blog/first-time-here/

... then read up on the "Sound class" entry of the ActionScript 2.0 Language
              Reference to get rolling.

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert
              Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
              "Luck is the residue of good design."