7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2006 9:40 AM by hjerting

Help with creating a video banner rolling slide

hjerting
      Hello,

I am a newbie and tried to post in flash design forum but no avail. In desperate need of some help
      on how to create a rolling slide show in flash (I am not sure exact what you call it).

Please check here to see what I mean. www.nicenails.com.

Please help!!

• 1. Re: Help with creating a video banner rolling slide
          Level 7

hjerting wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I am a newbie and tried to post in flash design forum but no avail. In
          > desperate need of some help
          > on how to create a rolling slide show in flash (I am not sure exact what you
          > call it).
          >
          > Please check here to see what I mean. www.nicenails.com.

there is nothing there, plain html... in fact, no such domain :)

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Help with creating a video banner rolling slide
            hjerting Level 1

Hi urami,

sorry for that, it was meant www.nicenails.be

are you able to give some help asto how to make it?

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Help with creating a video banner rolling slide
              Nickels55 Level 2
              That one is actually quite simple, it doesn't stop or change speed based on cursor location. What bothers me is this is not some crazy hard to learn technique, so basically you are using us to help you learn flash instead of solve a problem. I don't want to give you a long speach, but I taught myself Flash by reading and doing lots of tutorials, not by asking people for help doing simple things.

They did this effect simple using what I consider the wrong technique. It is a long banner image, with the first few images repeated at the end of the image bar. The image goes right to left using a motion tween, and when the first image (the repeated one at the end) gets close to its original location the movie loops back to frame one to create the appearance of a seamless loop.

I would use actionscript to movie the image instead of a motion tween.
              • 4. Re: Help with creating a video banner rolling slide
                hjerting Level 1
                Thanks nickels55 - I guess if I was using you I wouldnt even bother reply to your message. I guess your risk of posting a reply is honoured in return..... I'm a
                newbie and suppose alot of newbies is struggling with the tutorials and aim
                for the forums. This technique is by the way not covered in the tutorial as far
                as I am aware so I ask you because I have problem getting the technique right.
                I was looking for a template of some sort but your answer I guess is quiet
                self-explanatory once actionscrip is understood. So here's my next using
                question: Which actionscript do I use? - I know where to click and paste
                the actionscript from the tutorials.
                • 5. Re: Help with creating a video banner rolling slide
                  Nickels55 Level 2
                  Here is the swf you are trying to copy, but this is the fla of it:
                  www.johnkalnin.com/flashhelp/ScrollingBanner.fla

I don't mind posting it because the technique is no secret and the code is ancient.

What I would do instead is to use a loop to move the image.
                  ====================frame 1==
                  somevar = 500 //set this in frame 1, this is the X location of the image
                  ====================frame 2==
                  *imageInstanceName*._x = somevar // this places the image at the spot which will change in the next piece of code
                  somevar = somevar - 2 //change 2 to anynumber to increase scroll speed
                  //loop this

I think there is a better way of saying somevar=somevar-2 but I can't think of it offhand. There are plenty of tutorials on motion tweens:
                  http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx2004/motion_tween.htm
                  http://www.kirupa.com/developer/flash8/tween.htm
                  http://www.entheosweb.com/Flash/motion_tween.asp

Good luck.
                  • 6. Re: Help with creating a video banner rolling slide
                    Nickels55 Level 2
                    Here is even more help:
                    www.johnkalnin.com/flashhelp/ScrollingBanner-v2.fla

I changed it from a motion tween to actionscript and I commented everything so you can see how it works.

Let me know if you have any questions.
                    • 7. Re: Help with creating a video banner rolling slide
                      hjerting Level 1

Nickels - Absolutely marvelous - Just what I needed. Had a pre-sneak in
                      flash and somehow the -v2 is not as clear as the 1st but heck I am happy
                      and ready to go.

Thank you very big.