6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2006 10:44 AM by Nickels55

Flash vs. Captivate

TrumanAsh
      Hello All,

I am wanting to create some online content. For right now, it is very basic. Some text on the screen, some graphs, maybe some images and a voice over. More or less just a slideshow.

I began my search for a solution with Flash and stumbled onto Captivate. I was able to whip up the above in just a few minutes with Captivate.

I tried to do the same in Flash and found it difficult to get things going as I would like. I could get a slide up, but could not sync up the audio clip. I had a seperate clip for each slide, to avoid trying to sync up with one big audio file.

I like the idea of flash because in the future I can do more cool things with it as I learn more. However, from the standpoint of just getting my output, Captivate is much easier and quick.

Any suggestions? Is what I am trying to do at this point in Flash actually just as easy as Captivate and I am just missing something basic?

Thanks for your thoughts or suggestions.

T
        • 1. Re: Flash vs. Captivate
          Nickels55 Level 2
          Actually, I use both. I start in captivate to get all the backgrounds and audio in place, then I import the .cp file in Flash and add animations. Here is a sample:
          http://www.lsac.org/demos/Lor_Demo3.htm

Captivate 2 is coming out in a month, so I can't wait to see what new features they have added. I gotta run, but if you have any more questions just ask and I'll answer you tomorrow.
          • 2. Flash vs. Captivate
            TrumanAsh Level 1
            Wow... so I can have the minimum of what I want working fine, then bring it into Flash and keep that basic functionality and just add any flash specific magic?

That's great!

I gave it a try and did not see that I could either open or import the captivate file. The one thing I did not try which just came to mind is saving it off as a final file and then bringing it in... that would probablyl work.

I took a look at your demo. I see that you sync'd up the voice over with the appearence of bullet items. I am assuming you did this part in flash?

What I am trying to do is put together sort of news updates. This would be about every 2 weeks or so. I want the time needed to create the item as short as possible. They are pretty timely, so after a month or so are likely to just get archived or simply deleted.

I guess I am still wrestling with time invested for the output. I like the idea of sharpening things up in flash, but don't want to spend two days doing it. I want to sit down, do the basic voice over and info creation and within an hour or two have the thing ready for the site.

Thanks for suggestions.

Thanks,
            T
            • 3. Re: Flash vs. Captivate
              Nickels55 Level 2
              In flash, you set up the stage to be the size of the Captivate file. Then you select import to stage, then select the .cp file from Captivate. A window will pop-up and you can select everything to convert over (mouse movements, captions, click boxes, etc.). I always find that I have to do a little tweaking, like converting the sounds from a start event to streaming.

Captivate is definately the easier of the two pieces of software to use, which is why my demo's always start there.
              • 4. Re: Flash vs. Captivate
                TrumanAsh Level 1
                Nickels55... not sure why, but following the steps you indicate does not work for me.

No matter what import option I select, I cannot see the cp file.

I have also tried dragging and dropping the cp file onto flash, no good there either.

Is there an update I need to make this work? Using Flash 8 Pro (The 30 day trial, in case that matters). However, I have access to another machine that has a full version of Flash 8 Pro and have the same problem there.

T
                • 5. Re: Flash vs. Captivate
                  wollyjon
                  Carefully read the help notes in both Captivate and Flash. It took several tries, but I was able to import .cp file into Flash. One thing I discovered is that Flash doesn't like file names with spaces
                  • 6. Re: Flash vs. Captivate
                    Nickels55 Level 2
                    When you import to stage look at the bottom of the browser window that pops up. There is an item called "Files of type:" and mine defalts to all formats, but you can click on the dropdown and select "Captivate Project (*.cp)". Then you browse to your captivate .cp file, select it, and then click on Open.

This is all I have ever done using PC Flash 8 Pro to open Captivate files.