6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2006 11:03 AM by Newsgroup_User

Unwanted lines and a disappearing act

itsreallyme Level 1
      I'm finding that, when allowed to sit for a little over a minute, black vertical lines appear to left and right of certain movie clips. After another 30 seconds or so, the movie clips disappear altogether. Here's a link to the site:

problem site

Simply navigate to one of the sections ("LOGOS," "ADVERTISING," or "PACKAGING") and select one of the portfolio pieces from the short stack of circles in the lower-left corner. Let it sit for about a minute. The lines should appear on the left and on the right. Let it sit a little longer and the portfolio piece should just plain disappear.

Any ideas why this is happening?

--bwaldo
        • 1. Re: Unwanted lines and a disappearing act
          Level 7

"itsreallyme" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:ec6li2$qv5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm finding that, when allowed to sit for a little over a minute, black
          > vertical lines appear to left and right of certain movie clips. After another
          > 30 seconds or so, the movie clips disappear altogether. Here's a link to the
          > site:
          >
          > http://www.annsmalley.com/annsmalley.htm
          >
          > Simply navigate to one of the sections ("LOGOS," "ADVERTISING," or
          > "PACKAGING") and select one of the portfolio pieces from the short stack of
          > circles in the lower-left corner. Let it sit for about a minute. The lines
          > should appear on the left and on the right. Let it sit a little longer and the
          > portfolio piece should just plain disappear.

I didn't see the lines and nothing disappeared. I tried several of them for a couple of minutes.
          Maybe it's something wrong with your PC. (after 1 minute of inactivity, something else starts running)
          tralfaz

• 2. Re: Unwanted lines and a disappearing act
            itsreallyme Level 1
            Hmm. Well, I guess that's good news, then. I'll do a little more investigatin' at my end. Bizarre....

It's unlikely, too, that anyone's going to park on one of those screens for anywhere NEAR that long, but I just found it annoying and was curious about what could be causing it.

Thanks for taking a look, Tralfaz!
            • 3. Re: Unwanted lines and a disappearing act
              itsreallyme Level 1
              Okay. I've tested this on different machines and different browsers. I get the same result--the result I reported initially. Wait long enough, and the vertical lines on either side of the image appear. Wait a little longer and the image disappears. The key is to wait long enough. But it will happen.
              • 4. Re: Unwanted lines and a disappearing act
                Level 7
                "itsreallyme" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:ec86dc$hra$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Okay. I've tested this on different machines and different browsers. I get the
                > same result--the result I reported initially. Wait long enough, and the
                > vertical lines on either side of the image appear. Wait a little longer and the
                > image disappears. The key is to wait long enough. But it will happen.

The onEnterFrame for the fadeIn function is not being ended correctly because 'this' is not pointed to the correct object. The
                onEnterFrames calling the fadeIn function are 3 different ones and the called function doesn't have a pointer to know which
                onEnterFrame called it. I wouldn't use onEnterFrames for what you are doing anyway. Here is a suggested replacement for your
                fadeIn function:

function portPieceFadeIn(instanceName)
                {
                var mc = _root.portfolio_mc.portPieceContainer_mc[instanceName];
                mc._alpha += 5;

if (mc._alpha > 95)
                {
                mc._alpha = 100;
                clearInterval(id1); // end the setInterval timer
                }
                }

// And the 3 places that call that function
                // (looks like this one)
                _root.portfolio_mc.portPieceContainer_mc.BBVDPosterBack_mc.onEnterFrame = function ()
                {
                portPieceFadeIn("BBVDPosterBack_mc");
                };

Change those 3 to these 2 lines:
                clearInterval(id1); // avoid multiple copies of the timer
                id1 = setInterval(portPieceFadeIn, 50, "BBVDPosterBack_mc"); // 50ms = 20fps

// and this..
                id1 = setInterval(portPieceFadeIn, 50, "bbvdLogo_mc"); // 50ms = 20fps

// and this...
                id1 = setInterval(portPieceFadeIn, 50, "bbvdSleeveFront_mc"); // 50ms = 20fps

I tested it with this code and it got rid of the problem of the images disappearing. I never did see the lines you mentioned
                though.
                tralfaz

• 5. Re: Unwanted lines and a disappearing act
                  itsreallyme Level 1
                  Wow! That worked perfectly! Tralfaz--thank you for taking so much time to figure out what was wrong, and then write & test a solution to it. I never would've figured that out myself.

Take care....
                  • 6. Re: Unwanted lines and a disappearing act
                    Level 7
                    "itsreallyme" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:ec9br4$pk9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Wow! That worked perfectly! Tralfaz--thank you for taking so much time to figure out what was wrong, and then write & test a
                    > solution to it. I never would've figured that out myself.
                    >
                    > Take care....

Great. Glad to help out.
                    tralfaz