4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2006 5:17 AM by mike93

LINKING TO PDF FILES

DAVE J MILTON KEYNES
      Hi to all,

I am a complete novice to Flash Pro. Just started to use the software.

I would like to know the script to link from Flash 8 Pro to open a pdf file, from a button, but not in browser (i.e. in acrobat reader) but within an area on my movie i.e. I don't want my main movie screen to disappear and a broser to appear with my pdf document. I want the pdf information to open in a container in my movie with navbars to the left etc (hope I have explained this OK). I tried some script which I got off the web which said to put the pdf file in afolder and with some instruction to the exact labelling of the folder. This was for use with Windows 2000 and 98 I think. It didn't work and I run Windows XP Home.

Trust I have explained this OK. Would gretaly appreciate any help asap.

Many thanks,

Dave J
        • 1. Re: LINKING TO PDF FILES
          Level 7

DAVE J MILTON KEYNES wrote:
          > Hi to all,
          >
          > I am a complete novice to Flash Pro. Just started to use the software.
          >
          > I would like to know the script to link from Flash 8 Pro to open a pdf file,
          > from a button, but not in browser (i.e. in acrobat reader) but within an area
          > on my movie i.e.

you can't do that

> I don't want my main movie screen to disappear and a broser to
          > appear with my pdf document. I want the pdf information to open in a container
          > in my movie with navbars to the left etc (hope I have explained this OK). I
          > tried some script which I got off the web which said to put the pdf file in
          > afolder and with some instruction to the exact labelling of the folder. This
          > was for use with Windows 2000 and 98 I think. It didn't work and I run Windows
          > XP Home.

you can't do it, you can only open the file in current or new browser window
          or make it downloadable by zipping it.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: LINKING TO PDF FILES
            Craig Grummitt Level 3
            if you're creating a projector, you can use third party software such as MDM Zinc to achieve what you described.
            • 3. Re: LINKING TO PDF FILES
              Level 7
              Try FlashJester JStart

http://jstart.flashjester.com

Regards
              FlashJester Support Team
              e. - support@flashjester.com
              w. - http://www.flashjester.com

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and
              "mental illness."

• 4. Re: LINKING TO PDF FILES
                mike93
                Hi Dave,

I found a fix to the problem that works everytime. Here is a link to a page where you can download a application called flashgeek. About halfway down the page click on the flashgeek link (in blue) and it downloads the application. Follow the instructions and that's it.

http://www.19.5degs.com/element/216.php

I hope this helps

Mike