6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2006 4:29 AM by Necromanthus

How to find a DWORD in whole registry? (No specific path)

AntiTRUST�
      Hi,
      I need to know how can we find a DWORD value throughout the whole registry ??

In our registry there is a DWORD value called "Acceleration.Level", it lies inside the following path:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
      But this path contains multiple Keys with different names in different systems. So, that is why i have no exact path to define to get the value.

So, i need to know can we search the whole registry for this?? or can we just search Video Key and other sub Keys inside it??

Need some help on this.

Regards,
      Amir
        • 1. Re: How to find a DWORD in whole registry? (No specific   path)
          Level 7
          AntiTRUST? wrote:

> Hi,
          > I need to know how can we find a DWORD value throughout the whole registry ??
          >
          > In our registry there is a DWORD value called "Acceleration.Level", it
          > lies inside the following path:
          > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
          > But this path contains multiple Keys with different names in different
          > systems. So, that is why i have no exact path to define to get the value.
          >
          > So, i need to know can we search the whole registry for this?? or can we just
          > search Video Key and other sub Keys inside it??
          >
          > Need some help on this.

Hi. You can use one of the xtras for registry edition (Buddy API for
          example) and get a build a list with all the content of the registry�s
          path list and then look for the string you want in a repeat loop.

HTH,
          --
          Agust�n Mar�a Rodr�guez

www.onwine.com.ar > Macromedia Director demos & code
          • 2. Re: How to find a DWORD in whole registry? (No specific   path)
            AntiTRUST� Level 1
            Hi,
            Thanks for the info, but in BuddyAPI, it doesn't support DWORD values, there are four values, i.e. baReadRegBinary, Multi, Number and String.

I tried all of them, but still no use, i just siomply try to get the following DWORD value:
            "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\VIDEO" and the Value Name of "\Device\Video0"

Any help :(

Regards,
            Amir
            • 3. Re: How to find a DWORD in whole registry? (No specific path)
              AntiTRUST� Level 1
              Ohh guys, one correction, basically it is getting the value from the above location, that is:
              \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{141DF256-8E00-4F88-B9A7-E05E267B 08F1}\0000

Now there is one value that is Acceleration.Level and that one is a DWORD, now i am having problem in getting its value.

Also, one more thing, if i some how become able to get its existance value in true/false result, that will also help me a lot.

Any help on this.

Regards,
              Amir
              • 4. Re: How to find a DWORD in whole registry? (No specific path)
                Necromanthus Level 2
                quote:

Originally posted by: Amir
                Now there is one value that is Acceleration.Level and that one is a DWORD, now i am having problem in getting its value.
                Also, one more thing, if i some how become able to get its existance value in true/false result, that will also help me a lot.

If hardware acceleration is set to max, the 'Acceleration.Level' value is zero. Otherwise it has a numerical value.
                This value is vendor specific, so it's a bad idea to play with it ...
                Anyway, why are you wasting your time trying to modify that registry entry ?
                • 5. Re: How to find a DWORD in whole registry? (No specific path)
                  AntiTRUST� Level 1
                  Hi necromanthus,
                  Basically i am not trying to change the value, i am just trying to get the value to show or react. Any way to read DWORD Values from registry??

Regards,
                  Amir
                  • 6. Re: How to find a DWORD in whole registry? (No specific path)
                    Necromanthus Level 2
                    quote:

Originally posted by: AntiTRUST�
                    Hi necromanthus,
                    Basically i am not trying to change the value, i am just trying to get the value to show or react. Any way to read DWORD Values from registry??

http://www.meliorasoft.com/xtras/registry/index.php
                    But keep in mind two things:
                    1) you're not allowed to alter that value (it's a matter of privacy).
                    Only the system owner can manually modify that entry (using the Troubleshoot / Hardware Acceleration slider)
                    2) if you change the Acceleration.Level value, the system may become unstable (!)
                    cheers