5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2006 12:10 PM by Newsgroup_User

Windows XP 64-bit compatibility

Aladin102
      Does anyone have experience with using Director MX 2004 on Windows XP 64-bit edition? Is it running as fast and stable as on standard 32-bit WinXP? I'm mainly considering using XP 64-bit with Director because it supports more RAM than the 32-bit version.
        • 1. Re: Windows XP 64-bit compatibility
          Level 7
          > because it supports more RAM than the 32-bit version.
          You are asking if Director runs smoothly on XP 64, or if it will take
          advantage of the extra ram a 64 bit OS can access?

"Aladin102" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:edvona$19h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Does anyone have experience with using Director MX 2004 on Windows XP
          > 64-bit
          > edition? Is it running as fast and stable as on standard 32-bit WinXP? I'm
          > mainly considering using XP 64-bit with Director because it supports more
          > RAM
          > than the 32-bit version.
          >

• 2. Re: Windows XP 64-bit compatibility
            Aladin102 Level 1
            I assume all programs running under XP 64-bit can utilise the RAM the OS has available. Am I wrong? Further, I am interested in peoples experience with running Director MX 2004 under XP 64 bit (stability, performance etc.).
            • 3. Re: Windows XP 64-bit compatibility
              Level 7
              >I assume all programs running under XP 64-bit can utilise the RAM the OS
              >has
              > available. Am I wrong?
              A 32 bit OS can have installed up to 4GB of RAM.
              A 32 bit app can access up to 4GB or RAM:

A 32bit app can access memory addresses ranging from 0 to float(the
              maxInteger)*2 + 1 (=4GB).
              Simplified:
              When running 32bit apps on an 64bit OS, the memory range the app is using
              might be e.g. 5GB to (max)9GB.
              For a 32bit app on 64bit OS, byte 0 will be byte 5GB+0, while, the higher
              byte the app will be able to access will be 5GB+4GB.
              The OS is responsible for translating the memory the app is refering to, to
              the true memory address.
              A 32bit app can never utilize more than 4GB of ram, no matter the amount of
              the RAM installed.

A 32bit app running on a 32bit OS will in practice never have 4GB available,
              since a significant amount of the available RAM will be in use by the OS
              itself, well as other apps running.
              However, when running on an -optimized for 32bit apps- 64bit OS, it may have
              up to 4GB available for own use.
              Note: though 32bit apps can access 4GB of ram, many of them haven't been
              designed to access addresses above 2GB. And, from what I can tell, Director
              falls in this category...

As for Director stability on XP64, can't help - haven't tested it.

news:ee0shm$7lf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I assume all programs running under XP 64-bit can utilise the RAM the OS
              >has
              > available. Am I wrong? Further, I am interested in peoples experience with
              > running Director MX 2004 under XP 64 bit (stability, performance etc.).
              >

• 4. Re: Windows XP 64-bit compatibility
                Aladin102 Level 1
                So, if I understand you correct, you're saying that Director, in theory, should be capable of addressing 4 GB RAM on XP 64-bit, but, in practice, Director isn't written to access memory above 2 GB. Does this mean that the RAM allocated for Director will be 2 GB on a properly optimized WinXP 64-bit with 4 GB of RAM? Have you actually tested this, or is it speculation based on theory?
                • 5. Re: Windows XP 64-bit compatibility
                  Level 7
                  > So, if I understand you correct, you're saying that Director, in theory,
                  > should
                  > be capable of addressing 4 GB RAM on XP 64-bit
                  Yes
                  > but, in practice, Director isn't written to access memory above 2 GB
                  What I'm saying is that there is a good chance that parts of director well
                  as third party Xtras weren't coded to handle addresses above 2GB (c++ thing
                  signed/unsigned integers related). E.g. have you ever tried to create an
                  external cast that exceeds 2GB?

> Does this mean that the RAM allocated for Director will be 2 GB on a
                  > properly optimized WinXP 64-bit with 4 GB of RAM?
                  No. The amount of RAM for an app is dynamically allocated/deallocated. For a
                  32bit app, up to 4GB RAM can be allocated. But a 32bit OS never has 4GB free
                  to allocate for an app. Director, as any 32bit app, will be able to peek to
                  4GB (if the OS is able to allocate 4GB for it), but some parts of it may
                  fail to utilize the ram available to the app.

> Have you actually tested this, or is it speculation based on theory?
                  32bit on 64bit:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition
                  Director 2 GB limit: based on the age of certain parts of director, plus
                  personal experience.

news:ee1hd9$suj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > So, if I understand you correct, you're saying that Director, in theory,
                  > should
                  > be capable of addressing 4 GB RAM on XP 64-bit, but, in practice, Director
                  > isn't written to access memory above 2 GB. Does this mean that the RAM
                  > allocated for Director will be 2 GB on a properly optimized WinXP 64-bit
                  > with 4
                  > GB of RAM? Have you actually tested this, or is it speculation based on
                  > theory?
                  >