6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2009 8:01 AM by JoeDaSilva

Is it worth changing site to CSS structure?

brightbelt Level 1
      Hi,
      I just completed refurbishing my site graphically but I've also been experimenting with CSS templates on the side and I'm slowly starting to understand how a page is created with div's and div ID's and div classes etc.

The template I'm currently experimenting with has the external Style page with IDs (#Container, #Header, #Content,#Footer) and classes (.box1 and .box2 etc) and so it's a one-column template going.

None of this CSS experimenting is published, but my site is online with its standard, table-oriented code: My Site

As you can see, my site's structure was created using tables. One,...is it worth it to change my site over to a CSS structure, seeing as how my site is not that big to begin wtith? I do presently use a DWT template and some basic CSS elements for page formatting etc. So I'm not sure it's worth the time it would take me to learn CSS to redo my whole site that way.

I could save time by putting some of my present tables within div's (Oh my). But wouldn't that be defeating CSS purposes ?

Sorry if these are stupid questions; I'm just very curious about all this right now.

Many Thanks, Frank B.
        • 1. Re: Is it worth changing site to CSS structure?
          Level 7
          Seems to me that most web design is migrating, if not already there, to CSS,
          so if you are going to be designing, learning CSS seems essential.

Probably a good exercise would be to create your site in a separate file
          using CSS, and when you get it perfected, swap it out with your table based
          site.

Gary
          "brightbelt" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:glclpb$egp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          > I just completed refurbishing my site graphically but I've also been
          > experimenting with CSS templates on the side and I'm slowly starting to
          > understand how a page is created with div's and div ID's and div classes
          > etc.
          >
          > The template I'm currently experimenting with has the external Style page
          > with
          > IDs (#Container, #Header, #Content,#Footer) and classes (.box1 and .box2
          > etc)
          > and so it's a one-column template going.
          >
          > None of this CSS experimenting is published, but my site is online with
          > its
          > standard, table-oriented code: http://www.frankbright.com/index3.htm
          >
          > As you can see, my site's structure was created using tables. One,...is
          > it
          > worth it to change my site over to a CSS structure, seeing as how my site
          > is
          > not that big to begin wtith? I do presently use a DWT template and some
          > basic
          > CSS elements for page formatting etc. So I'm not sure it's worth the time
          > it
          > would take me to learn CSS to redo my whole site that way.
          >
          > I could save time by putting some of my present tables within div's (Oh
          > my).
          > But wouldn't that be defeating CSS purposes ?
          >
          > Sorry if these are stupid questions; I'm just very curious about all this
          > right now.
          >
          > Many Thanks, Frank B.
          >

• 2. Re: Is it worth changing site to CSS structure?
            JoeDaSilva Level 4
            I don't think too many of your potential clients are going to know or care if you use tables in your markup. If you'd like to learn, and take a sense of personal pride in your web work, then sure, tear it apart and rebuild it in divs. You could however just keep that codebase and fix the validation errors:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.frankbright.com%2Findex3.htm&charset=(d etect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

You could also use a lot of CSS to clean up your HTML (and fix some of the validation at the same time).

For example, instead of defining your background images in your TD's add the background image to a class, and then assign the class to the TD. Ideally you want to move as much markup as you can from the HTML to the CSS.

Once you learn how to do that replacing a table structure with DIVs is very easy.
            • 3. Re: Is it worth changing site to CSS structure?
              brightbelt Level 1
              Thanks Joey. What you've said makes a lot of sense.

I actually already know how to add a background image to a class and assign the class to a table, but I got on a different tangent somehow with this latest refurbishing.

Many Thanks for the tips,....Frank B.
              • 4. Re: Is it worth changing site to CSS structure?
                brightbelt Level 1
                Yes, GPaul, you're right. And that's really what I meant when I said "Experimenting with CSS on the side". I'm pretty much rebuilding my site with CSS, one div at a time it seems.

Is there a good forum anyone could recommend for learning how to do table/div construction with CSS? I know how to do quite a bit already with CSS but page construction and content/div placements seem to be my weakness at this point.

Many Thanks, Frank B.
                • 5. Re: Is it worth changing site to CSS structure?
                  Level 7
                  brightbelt wrote:

> Is there a good forum anyone could recommend for learning how to do table/div
                  > construction with CSS? I know how to do quite a bit already with CSS but page
                  > construction and content/div placements seem to be my weakness at this point.

Tutorials 8/9 will give you a good insight in how to set up site using
                  <divs> and css:

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/

The rest of the tutorials on that page are probably worth reading as well.
                  • 6. Re: Is it worth changing site to CSS structure?
                    JoeDaSilva Level 4
                    I struggled with CSS layout design for over a year, and then I stumbled upon this:

CSS Web Site Design with Eric Meyer
                    http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=279

You can get a one month subscription for $25, and it's easily the best investment I've made in recent memory.