3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 2:25 PM by jon@cmiwebstudio

Help with Form

JRFobes
      I am adding a form to my web page where a customer will fill out there name, phone and so forth.

I have all the fields set up and lableled but I need to know what to do to get the form e-mailed to me wihen the customer hits "Submit". I put the mailto: command in the action box but instead of e-mailing me the form, it is opening up my e-mail client.

Second, is there a way to make a certain field (IE E-mail) a required field?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Help with Form
          malcster2 Level 1
          best not to use mailto at all, for various reasons.

you'll need to use a server side language, such as php, to handle the form data. you can check what language to use with your host, but php will more than likely that they use.

if you've not used php before, try googling a php tutorial, or buying a good php book.
          • 2. Re: Help with Form
            Level 7
            First check with your host to see which server-side programming languages
            and/or formmailer scripts they support. Some hosts (GoDaddy shared hosting
            for example) may limit you to using only their scripts which you must
            activate via your account's admin panel.

If your server supports PHP and you can use 3rd party scripts, I highly
            recommend this one from DB Masters. It hides your address from prying eye
            email harvesters and has some pretty nifty spam control methods built in.
            Free to use if you credit the author; $20 if you don't.
            http://www.dbmasters.net/index.php?id=4

Best of luck on your project,

--
            Nancy O.
            Alt-Web Design & Publishing
            www.alt-web.com

• 3. Re: Help with Form
              jon@cmiwebstudio Level 3
              quote:

Originally posted by: JRFobes
              I am adding a form to my web page where a customer will fill out there name, phone and so forth.

I have all the fields set up and lableled but I need to know what to do to get the form e-mailed to me wihen the customer hits "Submit". I put the mailto: command in the action box but instead of e-mailing me the form, it is opening up my e-mail client.
              Thanks

Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but go here:
              http://www.cmiwebstudio.com/adobe_exchange.php

It will take you all of 30 seconds to have it setup