10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2006 5:58 AM by Pharhaan

Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use

uxk8396 Level 1
      Hi,
      I have my (Flash) interactive portfolio imported in Director MX 2004 and created a projector out of it, that can be used in a Windows or Mac OS X environment. Now I want to make use of this same projector to play in a DVD player and TV.
      Kindly explain the method(s) to view this portfolio in a DVD player.

Thanks
      Uti
        • 1. Re: Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use
          Level 7
          You can't do that. Director and Flash projectors require a computer's
          operating system in order to play back.

The only thing that you could do, and this is a boatload of work, is to
          stream out your entire project as a video file, QT for instance. This
          will give you a linear version of your project. To export the files as
          digital video, they need to be completely linear and not rely on code in
          any way for playback. You will then need to export the audio for your
          project as a separate audio file. Then you can combine the two in a dv
          editor like Final Cut, Avid, Premiere, etc.

Once you have the DV file, you can then export your control graphics,
          the navigation, to a DVD authoring tool, DVD Studio, Encore DVD, or
          something like that. Build the DVD navigation there and then import your
          digital video and build the DVD.

The final product will be nothing like your original Director projet.

--
          Rob
          _______
          Rob Dillon
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.ddg-designs.com
          412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
          • 2. Re: Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use
            uxk8396 Level 1
            Dear Rob,
            I understand the idea of exporting the project file into a QT mov. But it seems rather complicated to showcase a design portfolio website where there are myriads of interactivity etc to convert it into a linear DV. I might not be able to show the employer my intercativity capabilities of using Flash and Director. He will be merely viewing th ewhole project as a movie, where he can make use of these controls: skip, forward, rewind, stop, play etc.

I have my original Flash and Director projects. What will you do in such a circumstance:
            "applicants must send teh following materials-In DVD format, examples of creative work, including time-based media; digital, interactive and web application.

I guess the quick and easy way is to privide in a DVD high resolution screen shots of my interactive media work done in Flash and Director.

Please give me your views on the above.

Uti
            • 3. Re: Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use
              Level 7
              When they say in DVD format, that could mean 2 things.

1) An interactive portfolio that happens to be on DVD media.

2) A DVD-Video presentation

If they mean option number 1, then you can use your existing works, burn
              them on DVD and send it in. A DVD+-r(w)disc is pretty much exactly the
              same as a CD that has a lot more storage space, and if you have a DVD
              burner, it is easy to make a DVD that works just like a CD, with full
              interaction. It requires a computer to play though. This sort of thing
              would not work in a DVD-player set-top box.

If they mean option number 2, then they clearly don't want to see all
              the interactivity, since there is very limited interactivity allowed in
              a DVD-video. Much like the Hollywood DVDs that you can buy or rent, the
              interactivity is pretty much limited to menu navigation. The DVD-Video
              specification doesn't allow things like you can normally do in Flash or
              Director. If they are expecting to take your portfolio and pop it into
              a DVD player connected to a TV (i.e. no computer involvement), then they
              don't want to see your interactive work. If you are applying for a job
              in the animation industry, for instance, they would be keen to see your
              animation work, which would be a linear video with a few minutes of your
              best stuff. In this case, I would advise that you find a DVD authoring
              program, like Adobe Encore for instance, and set up your DVD that way.
              Then you can control the menus and how the whole disc plays out.You can
              also find software that allows video capture of your interactive work.
              For instance, get a flat video of a "recording" of the mouse clicking on
              things and the cool interaction happening. Though the person viewing
              the DVD will not be moving the mouse, they can still see it as if you
              were leading a presentation.

Based on the little quote you pasted, it is unclear what they want,
              though if they want to see interactivity and web work, that can not be
              done in a DVD Video (at least not without doing a live capture like I
              was talking about earlier). What sort of job are you applying for?
              • 4. Re: Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use
                uxk8396 Level 1
                Hello Mike,
                Thanks for the big note. I really appreciate it. Do you mean with a DVD-R, we cannot obtain the same kind of interactivity as in a CD-R. I have a MAC, so I make use of DVD-R. I guess both DVD-R and DVD+R should have the type of same function. Please correct me.

It is a faculty job as Assistant Professor, Designer/Artist: Visual Communications/New Media. I have checked with the Chair of the Committee and he mentioned that they will be viewing the portfolio in a DVD environment (PC or MAC) and probably hooked it to the TV. See quote below.

In addition to the online application process, applicants must also send the following materials:

In DVD format, examples of creative work, including time-based media: digital, interactive, and web applications. Include instructions for viewing. QuickTime movies, Flash Player, PowerPoint or other familiar digital formats are acceptable for viewing. Please also, if available, include examples of student work in DVD format. Web sites will not be viewed online nor will visual work samples be accepted online. Include examples of scholarly work if relevant. PhD applicants include an abstract of dissertation. Include SASE for return of materials.

In that case, I bet it is option 2.
                Thanks.
                Uti
                • 5. Re: Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use
                  uxk8396 Level 1
                  Hi,
                  Tell me which software may be used for video capture of your mouse click of interactive work.

Thx
                  Uti
                  • 6. Re: Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use
                    Level 7
                    A DVD-R can have exactly the same stuff as a CD-R (and it can have a lot
                    more of it). Anything that was made in Flash or Director (or
                    practically anything else) can go on it. But it will not play in a DVD
                    player on a TV.

Since they say that they want to view this on a TV, then you will not be
                    able to do these things. You are pretty much stuck with flat video and
                    interactive menus.

To make a DVD-Video, you can will need to get the work you plan to
                    present into a format that can be used properly. There are several
                    options for programs to make DVD-Video. Most burning software will
                    allow you to take avi or mpg video media and convert them to DVD-Video.
                    On the PC, both Roxio and Nero offer tools to do that. On the Mac, I
                    haven't tried, but I suspect that iDVD or Toast will accommodate.

Thus, you'll want to set up a few movies of your interactive/web-based
                    stuff in a way that can be finally outputted as a flat video file. I
                    haven't seen what iDVD offers, but it can probably make the menus as
                    well. If not, then Adobe Encore (or others) can be used to set this up.

Good luck!
                    • 7. Re: Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use
                      Level 7
                      I'm not real familiar with the Mac software to do this, but a quick trip
                      to Google netted me this:

http://www.miensoftware.com/screenrecord.html
                      • 8. Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use
                        Bentmen
                        I can appreciate how confusing their requirements must seem to you -- they appear to be completely confused themselves!

Based on the description, it actually sounds like they want Option 1 -- interactive media burned onto a DVD-R, which, as has been explained elsewhere, is nothing more than a big fat CD-R. If they are asking for Powerpoints, etc., that can be viewed on a DVD *player* (i.e., of the conventional home video variety that you'd purchase at a department store in a mall), then they have a complete lack of understanding of what the DVD medium is, and need to be educated themselves.

All that said, perhaps the best thing for you to do is hedge your bets and give it to them in both flavors -- a dvd-r with your interactive presentation, and, if you have time, a DVD with a video of you playing your app. The easiest way to accomplish this is to get ahold of a Mini-DV camcorder, hook it up to your Mac via firewire, mirror the desktop, put the camera into Record mode and simply PLAY the application while recording it to tape. Then capture the tape to iMovie, edit it as needed and burn it to DVD with iDVD.

Bear in mind that video resolution is 720x480, minus approx. a 1/4 inch all the way around for the "safe area" (outside the boundaries of what can be displayed on a normal TV). So any graphics or UI that hugs the edge of the screen will not be seen. Also bear in mind that the color space for video shown on TV is more restrictive than what can be seen on a computer. In particular, heavy reds and greens will "bleed" on a TV monitor. Also bear in mind that single-pixel lines, especially diagonals, will look serated or "choppy" on a TV monitor. All of the above is why it is in your best interest to design stuff for TV *on a TV monitor* so you can see the problems and work around them as you're authoring. Note, also, that these measurements are for NTSC (American TV standard) -- PAL and SECAM (European formats) are different. You can look it up on Google if need be.

Isn't it fun working with technology from 1941? ;)

But seriously, I think they just want you to give them a DVD-R.

best,
                        FBC

• 9. Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use
                          uxk8396 Level 1
                          Hello,
                          Perfect! after a deep analysis of the brief and valuable outputs from various members from the forum, I will resolve to OPT 1, as you said. I will include all the instructions for viewing etc in the DVD-R.

I will then call them to see if they are happy with the DVD-R containing the interactive artworks. I am sure they are not well versed with the operation of digital media. They mentioned Flash Player medium, PowerPoint are acceptable etc. In a nutshell, I strongly believe that a CD-R, as you mentioned, would be sufficient.

Thanks a lot.
                          Uti
                          • 10. Re: Interactive Director movie for DVD/TV use
                            Pharhaan
                            you can surely use

Techsmith's Camtesia Studio 3.0 which you can find on www.techsmith.com
                            As being an Interactive Tutorial Artist I enjoyed using this product on PC. its really worth mentioning.