14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2006 3:31 PM by ery101

Flash 8 Video Encoder problems

lynnirwin2000
      I used Video Encoder to convert a .mpg file. When I imported it into Flash the audio plays but no picture. I then used IMtoo MPEG 3 encoder to convert it to an MPEG file. This time I got picture and audio but the picture and audio were very choppy.

Does anyone have a clue why? Or perhaps suggest another app that will convert the file to another format that I would have better success converting to .flv without degradation?
      THANKS!
        • 1. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
          lynnirwin2000 Level 1
          I have since tried multiple programs to re-encode the mpg file. I even took the clip and tried to convert from a VOP file...... The files playback fine in RealPlayer but won't produce a FLV file that plays back -- only the sound -- or nothing.
          • 2. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
            Nickels55 Level 2
            VideoRedo

Or just post the mpeg and I'll convert it for you tomorrow.
            • 3. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
              lynnirwin2000 Level 1
              From some of the posts, I can see that you are incredibly helpful, however, I am floored that you have offered to convert my file........ and then I am embarrassed that I searched the forum and HELP files for info on how to upload a file and found zilch.

It is only one minute of video so I accept your kind offer and hope that you can point me to where/how I can upload to you the mpg file. BTW… I did see your advice on another post and tried VideoRedo with no success.
              • 4. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                Level 7
                Could you please email it to me as well (say) at artful_me at hotmail dot
                com .. or send me a link to wherever you can upload it (eg your own web
                server)

I'll try encoding with SWiSHvideo and anything else I have here and let you
                know.

NOTE: Think I can only do Sorenson encoding with that .. not ON2. But will
                try with Flash 8 video encoder as well for you (just in case there is some
                problem with your encoder etc)
                --
                Jeckyl

• 5. Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                  Nickels55 Level 2
                  I hope you are familiar with FTP'ing files. I am about to send you a private mesage with the information for my server. Check you private message in a few minutes. Let me know if I can publish the mpeg file so that Jeckyl can work on it as well.
                  • 6. Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                    lynnirwin2000 Level 1
                    thanks!

I uploaded the MPG file and I also uploaded a directory with the flash files (and a sample FLV file that works). I also tried converting some other video clips that I have and they all worked -- so I don't think it is the Flash player.

However, when I received the .MGP file (that I uploaded to you) from a vendor (who videos for a speaker's bureau) and converted it to a FLV file using Video Encoder 8. and then renamed it to motif_200kbps.flv in order to have it play in the video player template that I uploaded to you.... I got sound, but no video. Regarding posting the video file that I uploaded to you, I am unsure of the consequences of that ... so perhaps I will email the file to Jeckyl.
                    • 7. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                      dcross95020
                      I, too, am having problems with video and audio when imported to flash. I have created a quicktime movie which has great video and audio. When I import it into flash, I get the video only and not the audio. I have tried to create an mp3 file of the audio and could not import that either. Any suggestions?
                      • 8. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                        lynnirwin2000 Level 1
                        Nickels55 and others have addressed the "video - but no sound" issue in other threads. You may want to search the Forum on "lose sound" and see if any of the ideas/solutions work for you.
                        • 9. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                          Nickels55 Level 2
                          quote:

Originally posted by: lynnirwin2000
                          thanks!

I uploaded the MPG file and I also uploaded a directory with the flash files (and a sample FLV file that works). I also tried converting some other video clips that I have and they all worked -- so I don't think it is the Flash player.

However, when I received the .MGP file (that I uploaded to you) from a vendor (who videos for a speaker's bureau) and converted it to a FLV file using Video Encoder 8. and then renamed it to motif_200kbps.flv in order to have it play in the video player template that I uploaded to you.... I got sound, but no video. Regarding posting the video file that I uploaded to you, I am unsure of the consequences of that ... so perhaps I will email the file to Jeckyl.

Now I am really confused, because the file "motif_200kbps.flv" works fine for me - video and sound are there. Are you using Flash Player 8 or 9 to view the final SWF? If you are using Flash player 7 then there is your problem.
                          • 10. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                            lynnirwin2000 Level 1
                            I am so sorry to confuse (you would never know that I am in investor communications). Yes -- the motif_200kbps.flv that I sent you does work. I included a working "motif_200kbps.flv" file -- to show that my SWF COULD work with a good FLV file.

However, when I took the doris*.mpg file that I sent to you and used Video 8 encoder to change it to an FLV file (and rename it to motif_200kbps.flv - so that it works in the FLASH video player template that I uploaded to you), I got sound and no video.

I just renamed the working FLV and copied up to your server my conversion that doesn't work..... so that you can see my results in the video player.

And.. as you may remember, I tried VideoReDo with various settings and didn't have any success either.
                            • 11. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                              Nickels55 Level 2
                              I am also in the communications department at my company, weeee.

Anyway back to the issue. What do you see here:
                              http://www.johnkalnin.com/flashhelp/Take1.html

All I did was put your Doris*.mpg file info Flash 8 Enoder and it worked fine.
                              Don't tell me I encoded the wrong file!
                              • 12. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                                lynnirwin2000 Level 1
                                You have got to be kidding me!!!! That makes no sense whatsoever. How can my googillion attempts be failing? I guess my next step is to reload Flash 8 Professional.... and see if that solves the problem.... Did I mention that I hate computers @##@**

P.S...... in my company -- with the exception of the VPs -- only long legged blondes end up in the communications department . I never have been able to figure out the corelation.
                                • 13. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                                  Nickels55 Level 2
                                  Well, in all fairness I have had similiar problems trying to convert video from my Tivo to the web at home (no audio), only to bring the same file to work and have it encode with no problem. I want to say its either because:
                                  A) I have Quicktime Pro intalled at work
                                  B) I have other codecs installed at work
                                  C) My work computer is magic

It's a mystery for another day. If you want that video encoded to a different size let me know.

BTW - I am the ONLY guy in my department.
                                  • 14. Re: Flash 8 Video Encoder problems
                                    ery101
                                    I had to reply and let everyone know that I solved my problem with not getting video, only sound with mpgs by installing this codec:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Stinky_MPEG_2_Codec.htm

It has a funny name, but it means business. It works great! No more using 3rd party apps just to import a simple mpg to flv using flash 8!

I hope this helps out some others that might be having issues.